PDA

View Full Version : Little Talladega in Georgia?

matthewAPM
02-13-2008, 07:09 PM
A friend and I were talking the other day about how cool it would be to have a smaller, local race track in Georgia. I was thinking something similar to Little Talladega in size.

I had an idea about have open trackdays on friday or saturday nights. Same as you do at the drag strip, you pay a small fee, then get to make a few laps on the track (around 3-5 cars at a time) then come back to the pits and get in line.

The track would be a "no wall" track so there was nothing to hit but grass. there would also be some seating for people to come watch and hang out. Each month or so, there could be a track event and prizes could be given away to "class winners". (similar to a time attack event)

The track could also be open for rent for trackdays, bikes, kart racing, and car shows.

I know in Florida, there is a kart track (103rd street) made by the county for people run at. Maybe we should get a county to do this...a place for people to go fast safely. If not, any investors out there?

what you guys think? discuss, ideas, thoughts...

81911SC
02-13-2008, 07:10 PM
I think you are to stupid to put this together for many reasons.
Hell, if you can't put this in the right section how you going to build it?

R3RUN
02-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Good idea, won't happen. No where close enough to Atlanta to make it worth the trip will allow a track to be built.

matthewAPM
02-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I think you are to stupid to put this together for many reasons.
Hell, if you can't put this in the right section how you going to build it?

:gay:

81911SC
02-13-2008, 07:13 PM
:gay:
Great response. Thanks for proving my point.

Revmaynard
02-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Good idea, won't happen. No where close enough to Atlanta to make it worth the trip will allow a track to be built.

Build it and they will come. Haha.

NewGen33
02-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Theres a older guy up north in Conneicut I think who did something similar. He bought some random land and pretty much did what you would do with a golf resort. He made a pretty good size road course for people to run there cars on and is building really nice resorts on the land also.

Give me 10 years out of college to make this happen. *Que A-Team Music*

matthewAPM
02-13-2008, 07:18 PM
yeah

land is just becoming hard to find

Evil Goat
02-13-2008, 07:19 PM
thing is im sure youre not the first person, let alone a person with the funds to do it, to think of it, so no, it wont happen any time soon

Elbow
02-13-2008, 07:19 PM
It would be awesome, but hard to do. I tried the whole county help thing once, they didn't care.

wantboost
02-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Black hills is having a hard time staying open and it is already there. (i know its a kart track but......) so land, construction, permits, then when your neighbors don't like it lawyers fees, etc etc........

maybe in 10 years mat

81911SC
02-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Everyday you show you're stupidity more then the last.

JITB
02-13-2008, 07:27 PM
there is plenty of land.. money is the issue... if ther was someone who wanted to really do it, im sure they could do it.. if they had the money to..

R3RUN
02-13-2008, 07:27 PM
yeah

land is just becoming hard to find
Land isn't the issue, there is still a ton of it. You won't be able to get a permit to build a track. No one wants one going up in their backyard.

man
02-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Land isn't the issue, there is still a ton of it. You won't be able to get a permit to build a track. No one wants one going up in their backyard.

What about their front yard...

R3RUN
02-13-2008, 07:35 PM
What about their front yard...
Smartass.

matthewAPM
02-13-2008, 07:36 PM
thats what im saying, it would be hard to find land to put something like this w/o driving people crazy...

DirtyMechanic
02-13-2008, 07:53 PM
thats what im saying, it would be hard to find land to put something like this w/o driving people crazy... i got 96 acres in dansville NY you can build a track on. im sure a lot of people like the idea of a more local track but it wont happen ever if not many many years down the road.

man
02-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Smartass.

LOL :D

BKgen®
02-13-2008, 07:55 PM
umm... well we've got Road Atlanta where you can turn both left AND RIGHT! :D

If that doesn't work out you can always walk across the street to Lanier raceway.

nascar FTL.

matthewAPM
02-13-2008, 08:01 PM
i got 96 acres in dansville NY you can build a track on. im sure a lot of people like the idea of a more local track but it wont happen ever if not many many years down the road.

if only we were in NY...

If that doesn't work out you can always walk across the street to Lanier raceway.

nascar FTL.

no :doh: . but RA would NEVER have open track days...ever

On_Her_Face
02-13-2008, 08:03 PM
i got 96 acres in dansville NY you can build a track on. im sure a lot of people like the idea of a more local track but it wont happen ever if not many many years down the road.

where did you get that? lets move up there and make a hippi conclave

DirtyMechanic
02-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Matt as long as you dont scare off the Deer or ruin my firing range im good to go.

Billy:2up: your only mad because if you had long hair and since your face is going bald and being a lightweight when drinking people might mistake as a girl.

Thighs
02-13-2008, 09:43 PM

nascar FTL.

you do know that little tally isnt a circle track... right?

wantboost
02-13-2008, 09:53 PM
or roebling road

OnURleft
02-13-2008, 10:03 PM
My friend and co-owner of T.R.M currently has land with about 5 investors (yes..very rich people), permit and the means to build the track. Its going to be inbetween Lil TDGP and R.A. Its been in the works for several years...there is no pavement yet. There will be no pavement for a very long time. It wil be an insurance nightmare for open track days...I will have full access and will possibly get to help run the track/manage/run private events and I can assure you weekend track days will not be in its future for anything less then what there is now.

Host a weekend "cheap" track day in with several I.A members attening with no experience and watch what happens. See what an insurance company thinks of that. What's going to happen when an idiot hits the wall which would happen every weekend x10 if some phsyco were to allow someone with no experience in a car by himself on a track...No real track is going to allow inexperienced drivers on the surface without thousands of dollars, professional instruction in the car with them, or a "drivers education" program style track day that insurance companies will believe and most likely not allow.
Little Talladega is as cheap as they come because its not a real track and the rules are still extensive....

The closest resource to accomplishing this goal would be finding a parking lot and buying alot of cones. For example, when I was affilication with Xtreme measures we ran 6 weekends a year in the parking lots at A.M.S. We instructed inbetween 40-70 students and when the students had off time (morning/lunch/afternoon) we were allowed open track..open rules..unlimited autocross..you name it..it was heaven. We would line up 10 cars infront of local police officers and drag them 0-100 and get thumbs up from them. we'd throw 10 cars on a 3 minute autox at a time...it wasn't reality. We piloted two water trucks and one with a water cannon which I got to shoot at cars on the autocross to mess them up..but guess what all drivers met the requirements to drive and were either professional/instructor/trainee or coordinator of the schoo.
To give you an idea...every driver doing someone "fun" and not in a schooling environment was an instructor or with an instructor...the parking lot rental was $25,000 and each weekend took hellacious amounts of planning and a good reputation, zero wrecks and strict driving requirements to allow this to be safe. I remember kicking people off the property who "jumped on" without my permission. We were soon bought out by Richard Petty (the repuation was that good). Good luck. No one would support our open diccing around day without thousands and thousands of dollars..unless you have a good cause..so we taught students and got sponsors. We were none-profit as well.

matthewAPM
02-13-2008, 10:06 PM
My friend and co-owner of T.R.M currently has land with about 5 investors (yes..very rich people), permit and the means to build the track. Its going to be inbetween Lil TDGP and R.A. Its been in the works for several years...there is no pavement yet. There will be no pavement for a very long time. It wil be an insurance nightmare for open track days...I will have full access and will possibly get to help run the track/manage/run private events and I can assure you weekend track days will not be in its future.
Host a weekend "cheap" track day in with several I.A members attening with no experience and watch what happens. See what an insurance company thinks of that. No real track is going to allow inexperienced drivers on the surface without thousands of dollars, professional instruction in the car with them, or a "drivers education" program style track day that insurance companies will believe and most likely not all/ Little Talladega is as cheap as they come because its not a real track...
The closest resource to accomplishing this goal would be finding a parking lot and buying alot of cones. For example, when I was affilication with Xtreme measures we ran a weekend in the parking lots at A.M.S. We instructed inbetween 40-70 students and when the students had off time (morning/lunch/afternoon) we were allowed open track..open rules..unlimited autocross..you name it..it was heaven. We would line up 10 cars infront of local police officers and drag them 0-100 and get thumbs up from them. we'd throw 10 cars on a 3 minute autox at a time...it wasn't reality. To give you an idea...every driver was an instructor or with an instructor...the parking lot rental was 25,000 and each weekend took hellacious amounts of planning and the good reputation and strict driver requirements allowed us to have this fun. Good luck

wait wait wait...did i hear 25,000 to rent the lot? if so, you got riped off.

BTW, pm'd about that track

OnURleft
02-13-2008, 10:21 PM
wait wait wait...did i hear 25,000 to rent the lot? if so, you got riped off.

BTW, pm'd about that track

Call up the track manager at A.M.S and tell him you want the lot for Friday, Saturday and Sunday and insruance for what we did...and I mean the whole front of the race track. If you can get a better price then your last name is Petty. They are the only ones who get deals for that sort of action because they are the only group thats invests millions in using there track so many times each year. Xtremem Measures was THE most reputable teen driving school in the Nation...you would not get a "cut" in the price more so then a nationally talked about school started by a bunch of BMW club racers. There's a reason the schools name was bought out at a price that put its owner in a big fat house in the Hills in N.C and a 5 star job for Petty.

matthewAPM
02-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Call up the track manager at A.M.S and tell him you want the lot for Friday, Saturday and Sunday and insruance for what we did...and I mean the whole front of the race track. If you can get a better price then your last name is Petty. They are the only ones who get deals for that sort of action because they are the only group thats invests millions in using there track so many times each year. Xtremem Measures was THE most reputable teen driving school in the Nation...you would not get a "cut" in the price more so then a nationally talked about school started by a bunch of BMW club racers.

i was thinking it was one day. yeah, we only pay for the lots for 1-2 days. (cant say prices)

you know what Ian, GTFO of this thread. lol. yo, autocross this weekend. you can break in ur tires.

Thighs
02-13-2008, 10:27 PM
matt, give up. it will NEVER happen. you would have to charge SOOOOO much for open track days to compensate for insurance, and then if you were lucky enough get anybody to go, you would probably not even profit from it. if it was possible, it would have been done already.

DirtyMechanic
02-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Little Talladega is as cheap as they come because its not a real track and the rules are still extensive....

. when i went with a group from G35frenzy we had many people that have never been on a track. we didnt have any required instructor or really any rules other than dont go off the track or else you go home.

matthewAPM
02-13-2008, 10:30 PM
matt, give up. it will NEVER happen. you would have to charge SOOOOO much for open track days to compensate for insurance, and then if you were lucky enough get anybody to go, you would probably not even profit from it. if it was possible, it would have been done already.

:thinking: its has been done already...just not here. and give up? im not saying it will happen. im just saying it would be cool.

OnURleft
02-13-2008, 10:33 PM
i was thinking it was one day. yeah, we only pay for the lots for 1-2 days. (cant say prices)

you know what Ian, GTFO of this thread. lol. yo, autocross this weekend. you can break in ur tires.

baha. I believe it was around 8,000 per day. I did not do the finances. 1 weekend came to arund 25k. Even with a 500 fee for students and sponsors we would not break even sometimes...we were making national news but not making money..how's that for a good cause. One day is still out of reach. I do not even have the means to get that situated. nor do any of us on here with our income. We got insurance for our good cause and we were allowed to play for what we did which took more planning then any of you could image....All that for a few hours of play each day...WORTH it..I went through 6 sets of year tires a year in those days...could I do it without the help of 40-50 other professionals and instructors..nope. I'll call you when I win the lottary.

matthewAPM
02-13-2008, 10:35 PM
baha. I believe it was around 8,000 per day. I did not do the finances. 1 weekend came to arund 25k. Even with a 500 fee for students and sponsors we would not break even sometimes...we were making national news but not making money..how's that for a good cause. One day is still out of reach. I do not even have the means to get that situated. nor do any of us on here with our income. We got insurance for out good cause and we were allowed to play for what we did. I'll call you when I win the lottary.

almost all of the SCCA autocross are going to be there this year...how is it out of reach? we have already done it.

OnURleft
02-13-2008, 10:37 PM
almost all of the SCCA autocross are going to be there this year...how is it out of reach? we have already done it.

SCCA is the most well known national high peformance racing school and racing organization. They have millions, millions of names and thousands of professional instructors. My point proven.

Thighs
02-13-2008, 10:37 PM
:thinking: its has been done already...just not here. and give up? im not saying it will happen. im just saying it would be cool.

yeah it would be cool, but it wont happen.

/thread

matthewAPM
02-13-2008, 10:39 PM
SCCA is the most well known national high peformance racing school and racing organization. They have millions, millions of names and thousands of professional instructors. My point proven.

what are you talking about? lol. i said that the SCCA rents it, then u said even a 1 day would not be possible then i said that the SCCA already does it?

******, answer ur PM

matthewAPM
02-13-2008, 10:41 PM
yeah it would be cool, but it wont happen.

/thread

ok? what does that have to do with the idea. i know it wont happen but its something to talk about...

Thighs
02-13-2008, 10:41 PM
what are you talking about? lol. i said that the SCCA rents it, then u said even a 1 day would not be possible then i said that the SCCA already does it?

******, answer ur PM

i think what hes saying is yeah, scca does it. its cheaper because its scca. not IA. scca has ALOT more credit than IA, or whatever you wanted to organize it as. they get a deal because its the SCCA.

OnURleft
02-13-2008, 10:44 PM
when i went with a group from G35frenzy we had many people that have never been on a track. we didnt have any required instructor or really any rules other than dont go off the track or else you go home.

Like I said its not a real track. There is no elavation change...its slow..there's enough run off to play a soccer game and they still send you home if you are inexperienced enough to spin on such an easy piece of pavement to learn on. Tell a real BMW C.C.A instructor or N.A.S.A instructor that your only track experience includes Little TDGP. You'll be put in the same group as the people who have never been on Road Atlanta...or you'll be told.."That dosn't count." When I was 15 I was asked on my first day...so what tracks have you driven before we start..I responded "Little Talladega"...his response was "That does not count." Its a great place to have fun but its a very poor place to learn anything from other then your cars limits on flat pavement. One turn on Road Atlanta requires more knowledge. speed skills,balls and full awareness of what your doing then all the turns combined at Talladega...except maybe 6. This is why you run instructor free at LTDGP and at many autocross events..its nothing more than a large autocross or the "next level" for an relatively new driver.

matthewAPM
02-13-2008, 10:46 PM
i think what hes saying is yeah, scca does it. its cheaper because its scca. not IA. scca has ALOT more credit than IA, or whatever you wanted to organize it as. they get a deal because its the SCCA.

when did IA become a part of this? FAWK everyone on IA. i would never try to organize and event with them. i never said i wanted to so where are u getting this from? i was talking about the SCCA

OnURleft
02-13-2008, 10:47 PM
ok? what does that have to do with the idea. i know it wont happen but its something to talk about...

We are both saying its not going to happen unless you do what my school did, you are Mr. Petty, your some head organizer for S.C.C.A and you have the means/support/money or your just a flat out rich guy.

matthewAPM
02-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Like I said its not a real track. There is no elavation change...its slow..there's enough run off to play a soccer game and they still send you home if you are inexperienced enough to spin on such an easy piece of pavement to learn on. Tell a real BMW C.C.A instructor or N.A.S.A instructor that your only track experience includes Little TDGP. You'll be put in the same group as the people who have never been on Road Atlanta...or you'll be told.."That dosn't count." When I was 15 I was asked on my first day...so what tracks have you driven before we start..I responded "Little Talladega"...his response was "That does not count." Its a great place to have fun but its a very poor place to learn anything from other then your cars limits on flat pavement. One turn on Road Atlanta requires more knowledge. speed skills,balls and full awareness of what your doing then all the turns combined at Talladega...except maybe 6.

+1. i get students that ask me the same thing, well because ive done a little tally event, or a autocross, dont u think i should move up? wait to u get out on the track, u will see y ur in this group

matthewAPM
02-13-2008, 10:49 PM
We are both saying its not going to happen unless you do what my school did, you are Mr. Petty, your some head organizer for S.C.C.A and you have the means/support/money or your just a flat out rich guy.

no sheet. im not talking about IA AT ALL! never said about me renting the track. i am talking about the SCCA.

Ran
02-14-2008, 08:31 AM
thats what im saying, it would be hard to find land to put something like this w/o driving people crazy...Rydal just North of Cartersville. My girlfriend's family has a ginormous amount of land out there with nothing around. I could try to get them to sell some. :D

Elbow
02-14-2008, 09:04 AM
This thread turned crazy lol

wantboost
02-14-2008, 10:22 AM
like most of the threads that mat is a part of LOLOL