PDA

View Full Version : who makes good brake kits?

h22ek
02-13-2008, 03:33 AM
i need to get a brake upgrade, any advice on who makes a good kit for a good price, i've been looking at wilwood but its a lil pricey. thanks in advance.

mikesEK
02-13-2008, 06:53 AM
ummmm....Brembo, But if you thought Wilwood was high.....SHHHEEEET

if Wilwood was too high, I don't know what to tell you ,you might have to go with those kits that re-locate the OEM caliper and uses a larger rotor

BABY J
02-13-2008, 06:54 AM
http://www.ssbrakes.com/

KidSaru
02-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Ouch, if you think Wilwood is high you're in trouble. What do you have brakewise right now? If you don't have anything opt for some quality pads/rotors/ss lines.

ATK_Designs
02-13-2008, 07:53 AM
Wilwood = cheapest of the bunch.

Just get basic upgrades and you'd be fine. Better rotors, pads, fluids, and SS lines. You're straight.

SRCRX
02-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Here this sounds like what you are looking for

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1998336

Oem brake upgrades!!

Got Milk?
02-13-2008, 09:17 AM
ummmm....Brembo, But if you thought Wilwood was high.....SHHHEEEET

if Wilwood was too high, I don't know what to tell you ,you might have to go with those kits that re-locate the OEM caliper and uses a larger rotor

Thook the words out of my ****ing mouth.:tongue1:

And dhaaaaaa, BREMBO.

h22ek
02-13-2008, 11:03 AM
damn, lol i though , yeah i figure at that price brembo must be some crazy formula one brakes haha. if i were to get wilwoods is that a good idea?

Andy_013
02-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Stoptech, ROTORA or BREMBO

redpanda
02-13-2008, 11:18 AM
stoptech

dickdragon
02-13-2008, 12:13 PM
excellent performance, affordable price! use these with your factory calipers & pads! i'm assuming you're inquiring about brake upgrades for your ek civic. these work with some 16" wheels & most 17" & bigger!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Powerslot-Big-Brake-Rotor-Kit-Honda-Civic-Acura-Integra_W0QQitemZ150214556328QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem150214556328

AnTi-PooN
02-13-2008, 07:08 PM
drilled and slotted rotors off ebay FTW

Fr33way
02-13-2008, 09:23 PM
drilled and slotted rotors off ebay FTW

Reasoning?

xb1
02-14-2008, 01:58 AM
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1811368
and this guy is alpharetta btw...............

xb1
02-14-2008, 01:59 AM
http://www16.brinkster.com/mikedrive57/brakes.htm
dude's website

speedminded
02-14-2008, 10:25 AM
i need to get a brake upgrade, any advice on who makes a good kit for a good price, i've been looking at wilwood but its a lil pricey. thanks in advance.What's the budget then?

drilled and slotted rotors off ebay FTWwhy? :thinking:

h22ek
02-15-2008, 03:13 AM
ehh im not sure just pretty much looking at the best possible price for a good set of rotors drilled/slotted w/e and calipers and pads, preferably red cali's lol. it just looks cool haha

chituntang
02-15-2008, 06:01 AM
If you get good pads and ss lines with good rotors (not necessary aftermarket ones), you gain about 15-20% on brake performance. Going to an aftermarket setup is great, but it is expensive. But they have everything setup for your car, so it is pretty much trouble free, just bolt on and take it for a spin. I have seen the Si, Teg, etc brake upgrade. Cheaper upgrade as the aftermarket setup and great result. I would go with these. I would not go with the 4 pot Acura brake as you car's BMC is not setup to run them. If you did the swap, the front will lock way faster then the wheel. This is a huge problem for RWD car. I do not know anything about FWD though...

What have you done to your car so that you want a wilwood upgrade? Put those money elsewhere like suspension setup, tires and they will not only improve your brake performance, but also does a lot other wonders.

AMD_Civic
02-15-2008, 06:28 AM
baer brakes are good...

speedminded
02-15-2008, 06:44 AM
If you get good pads and ss lines with good rotors (not necessary aftermarket ones), you gain about 15-20% on brake performance. Going to an aftermarket setup is great, but it is expensive. But they have everything setup for your car, so it is pretty much trouble free, just bolt on and take it for a spin. I have seen the Si, Teg, etc brake upgrade. Cheaper upgrade as the aftermarket setup and great result. I would go with these. I would not go with the 4 pot Acura brake as you car's BMC is not setup to run them. If you did the swap, the front will lock way faster then the wheel. This is a huge problem for RWD car. I do not know anything about FWD though...

What have you done to your car so that you want a wilwood upgrade? Put those money elsewhere like suspension setup, tires and they will not only improve your brake performance, but also does a lot other wonders.Brakes are only as good as your tires. Larger more powerful brakes with a higher treadwear tire will just about guarantee an unsafe combination...

chituntang
02-15-2008, 07:16 AM

What have you done to your car so that you want a wilwood upgrade? Put those money elsewhere like suspension setup, tires and they will not only improve your brake performance, but also does a lot other wonders.

BKgen®
02-15-2008, 07:21 AM
depending on what you drive, Ksport may have a kit to fit your ride. They run about $2k,... but the quality is good. i've got ksport coilovers on the Tib and haven't had any problems at all.

http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/vehicle_search.asp?varMake=Honda&varModel=&Submit=Submit

edit: btw, I would only buy a big brake kit if my car had a lot of power... unless your car is a track car i would just get some slotted/drilled stock size rotors if i were you. a BBK is sorta overkill.

h22ek
02-18-2008, 11:57 AM
well its not a track car or anything but it has an h22a in it. the brakes are stock teg all wheel disc brakes but i find myself pressing harder to stop with not much response at high speeds. but i know i need a kit because my brake lines, mastercylinder are all fine, just want bigger discs drilled slotted w/e, and i would like red ali's cuz it does look good.

Lucky.
02-18-2008, 02:55 PM
get some Spoon brakes, lol

yudalicious
02-18-2008, 04:55 PM
well its not a track car or anything but it has an h22a in it. the brakes are stock teg all wheel disc brakes but i find myself pressing harder to stop with not much response at high speeds. but i know i need a kit because my brake lines, mastercylinder are all fine, just want bigger discs drilled slotted w/e, and i would like red ali's cuz it does look good.

can you lock up brakes/activate ABS with a reasonable, hard, amount of pressure on the pedal? If yes, then you need better tires to stop faster. if not, you need better pads and a bleed. from a functional point of view, there's no need for big brakes on a street car, unless you are doing the type of driving that you shouldn't be doing on the streets anyway.

addendum: big brakes are mostly used because they dissipate heat better thus less fade (they also provide more braking torque). as mentioned, you shouldn't be running into fading problems on the street, and better pads will provide the extra brake torque desired. better fluid/frequent bleeds will also result in a more responsive pedal.

integra82786
02-18-2008, 05:35 PM
^^^^ said it right

big brakes aren't necessary unless you have so much power that your stock ones won't stop you. if you aren't stopping when you brake then slow down sooner, or all together.... but drilled and slotted rotors along with some good pads on your stock calipers will do fine. better brake lines will help as well, but screw spending so much money on brakes when it could be used somewhere else, like suspension.

speedminded
02-19-2008, 09:04 AM
^^^^ said it right

big brakes aren't necessary unless you have so much power that your stock ones won't stop you. if you aren't stopping when you brake then slow down sooner, or all together.... but drilled and slotted rotors along with some good pads on your stock calipers will do fine. better brake lines will help as well, but screw spending so much money on brakes when it could be used somewhere else, like suspension.Crossdrilled rotors are 100% for looks, there is not a single performance advantage to it.

Sammich
02-19-2008, 09:06 AM
brembo blanks, ceramic or hawk hps pads upgrade your brake lines and call it a day

DaRussian
02-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Brembo