PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Is it a spoiler or a wing?

DieselNuts
02-12-2008, 03:28 PM
What do you call it and why?

I am sick of people calling SPOILERs "wings". The only reason I can even begin to see is that it is easier and quicker to say. IMO, that is no reason to call a spoiler something it is not...

speedminded
02-12-2008, 03:29 PM
umm...do you have any idea what the difference between a spoiler and a wing are or which each one does? How about the difference between a splitter and a diffuser?

DieselNuts
02-12-2008, 03:34 PM
umm...do you have any idea what the difference between a spoiler and a wing are or which each one does? How about the difference between a splitter and a diffuser?
uuuhhh....yeah. why do you think i said i am sick of people calling spoilers wings? spoilers create down force, wings create lift. you do not want lift on your car... and yes, I do know the difference.

speedminded
02-12-2008, 03:35 PM
uuuhhh....yeah. why do you think i said i am sick of people calling spoilers wings? spoilers create down force, wings create lift. you do not want lift on your car... and yes, I do know the difference.So the wing on an Indy car creates lift?

Allow me to help you... http://www.nas.nasa.gov/About/Education/Racecar/

EJ25RUN
02-12-2008, 03:37 PM

Steve Matchett knows the right answer....wish i could contact him bout though :(

DieselNuts
02-12-2008, 03:39 PM
alright, well you got me there, but that is the first time I have ever heard the term "wing" used on an automobile.

speedminded
02-12-2008, 03:41 PM
alright, well you got me there, but that is the first time I have ever heard the term "wing" used on an automobile.Nascar used to have spoilers, now they have wings.

Kevykev
02-12-2008, 03:45 PM
i say spoiler.

Just like a wheel and a rim.

Of course you can get technical but i'd be damn if i get technical about this topic :D

speedminded
02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
[Normally but not always] The air goes above and below a wing, on spoiler the air only goes over the top. That makes sense?

man
02-12-2008, 03:51 PM
uuuhhh....yeah. why do you think i said i am sick of people calling spoilers wings? spoilers create down force, wings create lift. you do not want lift on your car... and yes, I do know the difference.

A car's wings do create lift in a sense, it just happens to be negative lift

speedminded
02-12-2008, 03:51 PM
An car's wings do create lift in a sense, it just happens to be negative liftlololol touche! Up to 3,000lbs of negative lift depending on the application :D

DieselNuts
02-12-2008, 03:53 PM
[Normally] The air goes above and below a wing, on spoiler the air only goes over the top. That makes sense?
That does make sense. I figured that one out when you mentioned nascar. But even though air flows below the spoiler on a car, you dont really want it to, right? Thats why they are angled the way that they are to force the car to the ground.

speedminded
02-12-2008, 03:59 PM
That does make sense. I figured that one out when you mentioned nascar. But even though air flows below the spoiler on a car, you dont really want it to, right? Thats why they are angled the way that they are to force the car to the ground.Turbulance is created when a blunt object cuts through the air, like mini tornado's...if you look at a wing in a wind tunnel you'll see that it smooths out the turbulance and reduces the cars drag. The top part of the wing is what creates the downforce.

Dirty Octopus™
02-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Gee! thanks for this thread! :goodjob:
cuz i sho nuff aint know the difference tween the two! :(

prally cuz i never cared about putting one on my FF vehicle to have to do any research :thinking:

speedminded
02-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Gee! thanks for this thread! :goodjob:
cuz i sho nuff aint know the difference tween the two! :(

prally cuz i never cared about putting one on my FF vehicle to have to do any research :thinking:If you don't need a wing on a FF then you aren't driving it hard enough ;)

...but for a FF street car driven like a street car it's not needed.

man
02-12-2008, 04:12 PM
If you don't need a wing on a FF then you aren't driving it hard enough ;)

...but for a FF strictly street car it's not needed.

Yup, not that you should be on the streets.

EDIT: DAmmit didn't see the bottom line, wtf?

speedminded
02-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Yup, not that you should be on the streets.lol, edited :tongue:

man
02-12-2008, 04:13 PM
lol, edited :tongue:

Bah, you and your editing.

Nissan Sean
02-12-2008, 04:46 PM
i call it both, whatevr i feel like.

Ran
02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
BS aside, this has been a very informative thread. Reps to the contributing posters.

IDCoconut
02-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Wing

http://www.m-99.co.uk/Car_Bodykits/Mitsubishi_Lancer_Evo_5/evo_v_rear.jpg

Spoiler

http://www.peb951.net/images/por951kerscher.jpg

man
02-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Wing

http://www.m-99.co.uk/Car_Bodykits/Mitsubishi_Lancer_Evo_5/evo_v_rear.jpg

Spoiler

http://www.peb951.net/images/por951kerscher.jpg

Yup, pretty much.

Crazy Asian
02-12-2008, 05:33 PM
duh. Even a mexican can answer this question.

matthewAPM
02-12-2008, 08:43 PM
a wing has air flowing above and below it, a spoiler has air just above it

SixSquared
02-12-2008, 08:46 PM
I've always called a spoiler something that is attached to the car completely and a wing something that has a few inches (or more, ugh) between it and the car. :shrug:

redrumracer
02-12-2008, 08:48 PM
wings split the air in 2. a spoiler just pushes air and doesnt split.

SixSquared
02-12-2008, 08:54 PM
what about spoilers that have a little gap, so technically they're splitting air? (I'm talking about a mugen del Sol spoiler specifically.. and also just being plain difficult lol)

http://www.teamdelsol.com/technical/bodykits/wshp_mugen-rear-spoiler.jpg

redrumracer
02-12-2008, 08:58 PM
what about spoilers that have a little gap, so technically they're splitting air? (I'm talking about a mugen del Sol spoiler specifically.. and also just being plain difficult lol)

http://www.teamdelsol.com/technical/bodykits/wshp_mugen-rear-spoiler.jpg

wing

Ricer
02-12-2008, 10:54 PM
from what i've always been told.. wings have an airfoil shape creating lift in some way (positive or negative)... spoilers just disrupt the flow of air as speedminded said without really creating any kinda "lift"

man
02-12-2008, 11:06 PM
a spoiler has air just above it

Or only below it...

Dirty Octopus™
02-12-2008, 11:13 PM
If you don't need a wing on a FF then you aren't driving it hard enough ;)

...but for a FF street car driven like a street car it's not needed.
well i drive it. but i just dont drive it like im speedminded.
specially since i dont have a DD. i just feel safe not driving it too hard ;)

chinitoxamor
02-12-2008, 11:29 PM
my opinion.. "wing" and "spoiler" are synonym because its the same sh.it.. either its bigger or smallers.. nice or riced

chituntang
02-12-2008, 11:52 PM
From dictionary.com

Automotive. a similar device for changing the airflow past a moving vehicle, often having the form of a transverse fin or blade mounted at the front or rear to reduce lift and increase traction at high speeds.

So, anything on the front or the rear of the car (lips, splitters, diffusers, "wings." etc are all spoilers.

DieselNuts
02-13-2008, 08:40 AM
From dictionary.com

Automotive. a similar device for changing the airflow past a moving vehicle, often having the form of a transverse fin or blade mounted at the front or rear to reduce lift and increase traction at high speeds.

So, anything on the front or the rear of the car (lips, splitters, diffusers, "wings." etc are all spoilers.
See, thats what I thought untill SpeedMinded dropped this knowledge one me:

http://www.nas.nasa.gov/About/Education/Racecar/
Even thought it the info comes from a reputible source, I still dont like calling it a wing. Reminds me too much of F&F. Just like people that say N.O.S. like its an actual word and say naws....ugh, thats such a pet peave of mine...

BS aside, this has been a very informative thread. Reps to the contributing posters.
Very true. Even though I have been proven wrong, I have learned something new today.

chituntang
02-13-2008, 01:44 PM
You know what's the first thing I find wrong with them?? There is a flying car on the page where you linked. There is no form of road racing that is benefit from flying.

Go to any auto maker page and see if they name the rear spoiler "wing..."

speedminded
02-13-2008, 02:32 PM
You know what's the first thing I find wrong with them?? There is a flying car on the page where you linked. There is no form of road racing that is benefit from flying.

Go to any auto maker page and see if they name the rear spoiler "wing..."Go to any auto maker page and find me a TRACK CAR ;)

man
02-13-2008, 07:44 PM

Go to any auto maker page and see if they name the rear spoiler "wing..."

How's Porsche for you? (BTW, I did not search hard for this, this was the first website I looked at)

"At the rear of the car, the integrated WING is combined with an underbody diffuser featuring vertical fins. The resulting tail section generates ground-effects downforce with only minimal additional drag."

http://www.porsche.com/english/int/carreragt/modelinformation/design/default.htm

redpanda
02-13-2008, 08:27 PM
swing

speedminded
02-13-2008, 10:02 PM
How's Porsche for you? (BTW, I did not search hard for this, this was the first website I looked at)

"At the rear of the car, the integrated WING is combined with an underbody diffuser featuring vertical fins. The resulting tail section generates ground-effects downforce with only minimal additional drag."

http://www.porsche.com/english/int/carreragt/modelinformation/design/default.htmBingo! Was waiting for someone to mention Porsche :tongue:

ATK_Designs
02-13-2008, 10:11 PM
wings split the air in 2. a spoiler just pushes air and doesnt split.

This man speaks the truth. :goodjob:

man
02-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Bingo! Was waiting for someone to mention Porsche :tongue:

Grew up around them, gotta bring it to the table.

speedminded
02-14-2008, 06:35 AM
Grew up around them, gotta bring it to the table.Don't know what you would classify a whale tale, guess a spoiler since air only goes over the top :dunno:

I'm looking for this particular wing with the Gurney flap for my project car... $1,500 for the replica new :eek:

https://store.nexternal.com/vacmotors/images/BMW-RS-E3-L.JPG

AnthonyF
02-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Don't know what you would classify a whale tale, guess a spoiler since air only goes over the top :dunno:

I'm looking for this particular wing with the Gurney flap for my project car... $1,500 for the replica new :eek:

https://store.nexternal.com/vacmotors/images/BMW-RS-E3-L.JPG
that is a wing. Looks nice too! spoilers are not functional. mainly cosmetic from the factory.

KidSaru
02-14-2008, 07:13 AM
that is a wing. Looks nice too! spoilers are not functional. mainly cosmetic from the factory.

Spoilers can be functional.

Ran
04-30-2008, 04:42 PM
that is a wing. Looks nice too! spoilers are not functional. mainly cosmetic from the factory.Spoilers are functional. Take a look at the rear spoilers used for NASCAR before they switched to the new models.

K20Z1
04-30-2008, 07:19 PM
wats a dc5 itr wing do? =\

Arm&hammer
04-30-2008, 07:31 PM
i say spoiler unless i see an airplane, then i would say wing. lol

RWD164
05-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Here is the major difference, Wing allows the air to travel both over and under, while a spoiler is attached to the "Trunk Deck" and air can only pass over top.

Formula 1 Car=Wing
Monte Carlo SS=Spolier

SiLkY_JohnSon
05-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Yea i think Spoiler refers to a Car that comes with it stock and a wing Is some Rice Baskets Use for Performance

slostang
05-20-2008, 02:06 AM
in most cases its usually called rice!

silly ricers, wings are for airplanes!
:cheers:

YokotaS13
05-20-2008, 03:09 AM
if you honestly think that, your dumb

EJ25RUN
05-22-2008, 09:11 AM
in most cases its usually called rice!

silly ricers, wings are for airplanes!