PDA

View Full Version : Bogging down on 1/2+ open TB

jwrape
02-11-2008, 06:55 AM
My Brother just bought a 95 Civic Ex 1.6L. Nice little college kid car. It came with Acura wheels, acura interior, Coilovers and a intake.

My question is: When your driving it and you push the skinny pedal more than half way it seem t lose power. You can hear the TB opening up because of the intake and it seems to me that the open air intake is providing too much air for that little motor.
Has anyone else experienced this and what is the solution. The motor just seems like you have to feather the gas pedal to get it up in the RPMs faster.
Or in other words, it doesn't wind up very fast.
Thanks

TicketRedBB6
02-11-2008, 07:19 AM
No offense, but it's probably because it isn't a fast motor. I used to have a 1.5L civic with an intake, and it did the same as you're saying. It took forever to get faster, but you could hear all the air coming in. Those motors stock just arent made for fast rpms.

jwrape
02-11-2008, 08:42 PM
No offense at all, it's not my car, but still it should rev faster than it does if it was a good running engine. Do you think it is the intake or maybe something else? We can get the factory intake from the junk yard if that will fix the issue. It just won't get out of it's own way right now. :no:

No offense, but it's probably because it isn't a fast motor. I used to have a 1.5L civic with an intake, and it did the same as you're saying. It took forever to get faster, but you could hear all the air coming in. Those motors stock just arent made for fast rpms.

TicketRedBB6
02-11-2008, 08:49 PM
No offense at all, it's not my car, but still it should rev faster than it does if it was a good running engine. Do you think it is the intake or maybe something else? We can get the factory intake from the junk yard if that will fix the issue. It just won't get out of it's own way right now. :no:

No I don't think it's the intake unless it has a huge dent or something. What brand is it? Are you sure it's a good running engine?

jwrape
02-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Not sure of the brand. Looks like a Ebay intake. The motor seems to run good. Idles smooth. we are going to do a full tune up today. Maybe that will help. NGK wires plugs and cap and rotor button should help hopefully. The rest of the motor is stock so i am hoping that a simple tune up will help the bogging. Good to know that it's prolly not the intake though. Guess we will kepp illiminating problems as we go.
Thanks

No I don't think it's the intake unless it has a huge dent or something. What brand is it? Are you sure it's a good running engine?

jwrape
02-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Well yesterday we did the full tune up. We found that the intake looked like a dirty ashtray and the plugs were gapped at .67 :cry: We put the NGK's in it gapped at .44 and it seemed to gain some power back but still has that power loss after 1/2 TB.

Any more ideas???
Thanks

A-TL
02-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Is it an auto or a stick? If it's an auto, it's the tranny. Anyways, good luck.

jwrape
02-15-2008, 06:17 AM
Is it an auto or a stick? If it's an auto, it's the tranny. Anyways, good luck.Stick

civicmantim
02-21-2008, 01:30 PM
sometimes your problem will be the map sensor or possibly the tps sensor..singlecam or duelcam motors ,friend had same problem with his car with the exception it had a ls motor checked the map sensor and that was the problem not saying that's your problem but it wouldn't hurt to check.

1flysi
02-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Have you checked the timing?

hondaxpurt
02-25-2008, 09:46 AM
maybe fuel filter? or possibly something clogging intake manifold?

jwrape
02-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Have you checked the timing?No not yet.

Grnblur
02-27-2008, 01:29 PM
also it could be a clogged cat. converter.

green91
02-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Bingo check the ignition timing first!

1flysi
02-28-2008, 03:05 AM
sounds like it is one tooth off.