PDA

View Full Version : ::Edelbrock race B-pipe write-up!!! Pictures Inside::

TheChosenOne
02-11-2008, 03:03 AM
EG-EJ Squad, WASUP!!!

Well, I got bored and decided to help my friend squeeze a little more power out of his single cam. :ninja:

Anyway, I thought, that this would be a good time to attempt a write-up/picture walk through thingy. :crazy:

First things, first. I had to take off the header.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/unuselectus/DSC01114.jpg

So, here is the JG Edelbrock Pro Flo 2-Piece header he had on the car already.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/unuselectus/DSC01105.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/unuselectus/DSC01106.jpg

I know, I know, your askign yourself, "why would he be taking of an Edelbrock header. The answer is simple... I just so happen to have a discontinued Edelbrock Race B-Pipe laying around my garage...:screwy: ...:D ...:goodjob:
So this got me to thinking... hhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/unuselectus/DSC01107.jpg

..."I wonder if that uber-sweet race B-pipe will bolt directly up to this two-piece since there both made by Edelbrock???"
Well, after I test fit it, I knew I was on to something. ;) So, next, I grabed the B-pipe...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/unuselectus/DSC01108.jpg

Unscrewed the three bolts on the header...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/unuselectus/DSC01109.jpg

Checked to see if the two would line up...(mock-up)...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/unuselectus/DSC01110.jpg

tightened the three bolts back on the flange, and now it was ready to go! :bump:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/unuselectus/DSC01112.jpg

So, after that, I jacked the car up and just bolted the exhaust manifold bolts back to the head, and vuwala! :bannana:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/unuselectus/DSC01113.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/unuselectus/DSC01116.jpg

There you have it. It is extremly loud, but it makes power!

Tell me what you guys think...:goodjob:

cactusEG
02-11-2008, 07:19 AM
That shiiii looks like its going to be loud ass hell..

Sammich
02-11-2008, 07:20 AM
DEWD...u shoulda lotioned up for the pics LOL jk. nice write up

PURP
02-11-2008, 11:37 AM
So what do you think the gains are???

GSRtegŪ
02-11-2008, 11:46 AM

x2

TheChosenOne
02-11-2008, 02:08 PM
That shiiii looks like its going to be loud ass hell..
It is!!! I kinda fell ashamed when I pull into my neighborhood and the parents are aout playing with their kids, I drive by and all you see are faces of disgust. :lmfao:

phatboislimDEWD...u shoulda lotioned up for the pics LOL jk. nice write up
Lol, nah *****. That would have slowed me down. :crazy:

b18eg6

&
GSRtegŪ
Edelbrock claims that that B-pipe has been dyno proven to add 3 wheel horse power over the Pro Flo header and sustain a strong power band for all-motor applications good for 250 whp. Keep in mind though, the Pro Flo has also been dyno proven to perform just as well if not better than the Hytek and SMRS or whatever-the-phuck its called ($800 dollar header).
I took it out last night to south side... for my friend and all :ninja: ... and I have never driven anything to pull so hard from 6.5 to redline. When Vtec kicks in, its a monter, but around 6.5k to 7k it starts pulling even harder with the 3 inch B-pipe. All in all, after a retune, it should dyno around 190-210 whp.

Sammich
02-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Lol, nah *****. That would have slowed me down. :crazy:

:lmao:

great gains mane

mocha latte cupcake
02-11-2008, 02:17 PM
OH SNAP! thats hawt homie! congrats!

cactusEG
02-11-2008, 02:29 PM
lol i bet it was old ppl looking at u...

Batlground
02-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Edelbrock claims that that B-pipe has been dyno proven to add 3 wheel horse power over the Pro Flo header and sustain a strong power band for all-motor applications good for 250 whp. Keep in mind though, the Pro Flo has also been dyno proven to perform just as well if not better than the Hytek and SMRS or whatever-the-phuck its called ($800 dollar header).

Not to burst your bubble, but that header is nowhere NEAR then Hytech or SMSP header.

The Hytech/Rage and replicas and the SMSP are 7-10whp over the Edelbrock. The Edelbrock is a copy of the DC JDM header, yet its a 2 piece so its even more restrictive.

Heres a shot of a header test i did 4 years ago that holds truy even today:

Shot of RMF, DC JDM, SMSP, SMSP Prototype, DTR, Hytech, Not pictured was my old ANR header

http://we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr?i=wODc5MzcyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
http://we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr?i=wODgyMjc4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/793000-793999/793006_37_full.jpg

My Write Up

theres really not a bad header in the entire bunch IMO. here is my original write up

Test motor was a completely BONE STOCK JDM ITR motor. compression test was 225psi across all 4 cylinders. We did a tune up on the motor (oil change and spark plugs changed) before testing commenced.
Pricing information:

SMSP 4-2-1 Mild Steel -$630 , coating is offered for $180 extra, comes with donut gasket, and flange
This is one of my favorite headers. It had EXCELLENT ground clearance and made very good numbers. there is about a 2-4 week wait from SMSP for these headers. I would highly reccomend getting the header coated from Dave @SMSP. a big plus is the price includes a donut gasket and a flange to make installation a breeze. SMSP has been known for his higher end headers. He makes headers in the $1000+ range and this is now his new offering to the sub $900 market.

Hytech 4-2-1 Stainless Steel -$799 comes with donut gasket and flange
One of the most beautifull headers i have ever seen, flawless welds, great craftmanship. Good price for a Stainless header , especially from someone of Mr. Grudynski's caliber. This is Hytechs first Production header. Hytech has been known for his much more priced custom headers and he is famous for his higher end headers that use his reversion chambers. This is a mass produced header that he is now offering to the market. Made the most Midrange power of all the headers we tested. Only problem i had was that his header would not clear the "transmission" bracing/flywheel cover, we had to remove it. Ground clearance was ok , i would reccomend getting a skid plate made to protect your investment. designed for its great midrange power, john was very careful to design the header for its intended purpose, and a street car will use a stronger midrange much more often than its 2-3whp top end. this header also had an o2 bung on a secondary,which could alter air/fuel readings. it also liked to run very lean, making more power ~14.5 than at 13.5. the flange was cut a little off, and we were not able to get the last bolt on the #1 cylinder to thread in. a little ovalling of the bolt hole int he flange

DTR 4-2-1 Stainless Steel -$900 comes with donut gasket and flange
Another great quality Header. Danny Tran has been around for a long time and definetly knows what he is doing. This header made great midrange power and definetly good peak numbers. The only problem we had with his header was the location of the o2 sensor. It is in one of the two primaries and would sometimes give false readings. We highly reccomend welding in a new O2 bung for more accurate readings. ok ground clearance as well, about the same as the hytech, get a skidplate to be safe. also has a mild steel version available for less cost than the stainless. also like the hytech, it had an o2 bung setup for only reading 2 cyl. could be an issue. the header also liked very lean, making more power the leaner it got.

SMSP 4-1 STAINLESS -Prototype, target price of $699
Another great header from SMSP. it was a late entry into our header test. This header is currently NOT AVAIALBLE. But we accomadated SMSP to test it anyways. This header sounded absolutely SICK on the dyno. Vtec X over it shook the room and made the car vibrate on the dyno it was so loud. Even though its a prototype, it still made the 2nd highest numbers on the dyno which is very impressive. Needs a skidplate midrange suffered when attempting to smooth over the vtec x-over. reccomended only with cams that have big primaries (todaB, slunk2 pro1, RM M22) that can sustain power.

DC SPORTS JDM STAINLESS 4-1 -$450
The Tried and True BUDGET HEADER. Long accepted as the very Least you should look at buying for a header, this header was a used header so the numbers you can take with a grain of salt. It made same whp and same TQ as the stock cast OEM manifold. However, it has shown decent numbers in other tests. I would reccomend it for the TRUE budget crowd. but for a little more money you can step up to one of the other headers which this test proved are worth it. Horrible ground clearance, almost always require a skid plate. in true jdm dc fashion, this header did have dents on the bottom 2 primaries. this will alter the numbers, so expect a little more peak with a fresh header

ANR Compact with Merge Collector 4-1-$730 shipped no gasket or flange included
One of my favorite headers in the bunch. Crazy design, made great power and TQ. Has the one of the BEST ground clearance due to its unique design. Only downside is that you cannot use AC with this header. Also, there is no flange and no gasket supplied so you have to have your local exhaust shop fab one up for you . Get it coated as it will rust over time. I would like to dispell any rumors of "cracking " that some people have talked about. This header was off a customers car, and it has been run for over a year open header with no problems what so ever. It has a thick flange and the welds are very nice.

RMF 4-1 -$675 shipped with Jet coating and flange
Probably the "newest" header maker on the market, but Randy has been around for a long time with a very impressive resume. This header won our contest, and made very impressive TQ as well. YOu can run AC with this header, and its called the "narrow" version for a reason. lots of room in the engine bay. Has great ground clearance and its one of the only headers that comes coated for that price range.

All final pulls for each header were done with the following specs:
OIL TEMPERATURE-160 degrees F
WATER TEMPERATURE-170 Degrees F
AIR TEMPERATURE-110F

We did FUEL tuning to each header. we never touched cam gears or added timing , which could have made more power per header. also, to keep a controlled test , we tuned each header to 13.5:1 air fuel ratio. Now i must say that was for our test. Different headers like different A/F ratios. for instance, the DTR header liked a leaner a/f ratio. same with the Hytech header. so the potential for more power is there for each header. I want everyone to realize that this is not a test to end all tests . there is not a BAD BUY out of any of these headers. But for our test , RMF was the winner.

TheChosenOne
02-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I had the Edelbrock 1 piece and now I have the two piece. The one piece pro Flo dynoed more hp than the Hytek by about 3-5 hp...:thinking: . I'm not saying your wrong, but that setup (which happens to be strikingly similar to the one I have now) favored the Edelbrock 1-piece. Since I have the two-piece, and Edelbrock said themselves that the b-pipe would out perfornm the 1-piece by 3 hp, I decided it wouldn't hurt to try.

Well see when I go to the dyno if its anygood, by thanks for the imput. And if I was balling, I think I would go with the RMF anyway...:yes: .

Batlground
02-11-2008, 09:30 PM
I had the Edelbrock 1 piece and now I have the two piece. The one piece pro Flo dynoed more hp than the Hytek by about 3-5 hp...:thinking: . I'm not saying your wrong, but that setup (which happens to be strikingly similar to the one I have now) favored the Edelbrock 1-piece. Since I have the two-piece, and Edelbrock said themselves that the b-pipe would out perfornm the 1-piece by 3 hp, I decided it wouldn't hurt to try.

Well see when I go to the dyno if its anygood, by thanks for the imput. And if I was balling, I think I would go with the RMF anyway...:yes: .
Dyno sheet?

I would like to see proof of the Edelbrock beating the Hytech, out of 50+ test i have done, its never been close. Curious to see what im doing wrong.

Batlground
02-11-2008, 09:38 PM
I took it out last night to south side... for my friend and all :ninja: ... and I have never driven anything to pull so hard from 6.5 to redline. When Vtec kicks in, its a monter, but around 6.5k to 7k it starts pulling even harder with the 3 inch B-pipe. All in all, after a retune, it should dyno around 190-210 whp.

And again, that car wont make anywhere near those numbers with a stock Throttle BOdy and stock intake manifold.

What it looks like you did was take off a bottom piece of the header, drop the exhaust, bolt on a turn down, and drove it around.

I dont see any credible evidence of any power gains. The car is going to SEEM faster because its ungodly loud now. Its also got no backpressure so its going to seem like it breaths better in the top end.

Furthermore, to say that the car will dyno 190-210whp, you do know thats a 20 whp variance, right. Thats a HUGE margin.

Im not trying to pick on you, but to do a real informative comparison you should do a dyno comparison of a before and after. Show HP gains. Because right now all you did was make the car louder.

Im very picky about stuff that gets posted, especially stuff like this because it can lead people in the wrong direction and give off the wrong impression. To quote a BIG dyno number like you are, and to talk about how much power you think it makes gives people the wrong idea. its false info with no evidence.

So, again, im not picking on you, im not attacking you, im merely saying do some real testing and post the results, id like to see them. But dont think because the car is louder that it is making tons more power.

FYI, i drove around open header with a $800 ANR header for 1.5 years, ask BTLFED so i know

TheChosenOne
02-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Like I said before, I appreciate the input, but I never gave you a base hp reading, so I'm not claiming that the header+downpipe setup is going to give me 20 hp. That would be rediculous.

And for what I have in my motor, plus that exhaust I think that the 200whp shouldn't be that far out of grasp.

And I never said that because the is louder that it should be faster. I have been running open header for a little over a month now, so it's not like the car is louder. If anything this is quiter than my GSR open header. I felt a noticable difference with the b-pipe.

Within the next month, I will be getting the car tuned and dynod, so hopefully I can see where I'm at. I havent decided to got to you or scotty yet, but you have built some nasty motors in the past so obviously your imput holds some substance.

FYI, that's not a stock throttle body...:ninja: .:goodjob:

Grimm Reeper
02-12-2008, 03:03 AM
Wow......

TheChosenOne
02-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Wow......
lol... was that a good wow or a bad wow???

Grimm Reeper
02-12-2008, 12:30 PM
lol a wow as in wow wtf just happened. lol Was talking about headers, then went to test and dyno sheets to never been done and to stock throttle body to it's not stock lol