PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous and The Track.

WhiteAccord
02-09-2008, 06:32 PM
At the moment for Commerce, does anyone know any rules or regulations that have to do with Nitrous? Thanks for all CC.

Dietcoke
02-10-2008, 02:06 PM
blow down tube

WhiteAccord
02-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Is thar posted anywhere on their site? Because if it is, I cant find it.

Anyone else have any hard info?

redrumracer
02-10-2008, 10:30 PM
since they are sanctioned by the NHRA you have to go by the NHRA rules. if the track doesnt enforce the NHRA rules/guidelines then the track could lose its sanctioning and therefore big money races. just look up the rules and it will tell you what is required

98strat
02-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Nitrous Oxide
The use of any agents other than NOS as part of, or mixed with, this pressurized fuel system is strictly prohibited. All bottels must be securely mounted, stamped with minimum DOT 1800 pound rating, and identified as nitrous oxide. Nitrous oxide bottle(s) located in the driver compartment must be equipped with a relief valve and vented outside the compartment. System must be commercially available, and installed as per manufacture's recommendations. Commercially available thermostatically controlled blanket -type warmer accepted. Any other external heating of bottle(s) prohibited.

Nemesis
02-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Whiteaccord. When I used nitrous I had it hidden in duffle bag that I cut a slot underneath to run the lines. On top of the bottle/heater I had a lot towels and cleaning equipment to make it look like a regualar duffel. They wont see it at tech, unless you're nitrous/fuel lines are obvious under the hood. Most of the time they just check your battery tiedown, etc.

WhiteAccord
02-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Damn... My nitrous lines are right there when you open the hood. Is there any way I can just disconnect my bottle, put it in someone elses car, and said Im running without nitrous?

Jaimecbr900
02-11-2008, 08:18 PM
If you're running during a regular test and tune night it's not that big a deal. I ran there for years without any problems. They just don't want something obviously wrong, like loose bottle. They don't care about a blow down tube unless the bottle is actually IN the cabin. If it's in the trunk, it needs no blow down tube at all. I never had one and had no issues at all. I've also seen people heat the bottle with torches in the staging lanes.

The only time they are sticklers is during actual sanctioned races. During open test and tune, they don't really check much except obvious things and battery tied down.

WhiteAccord
02-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Interesting... I might just take the chance on that.

Nemesis
02-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Damn... My nitrous lines are right there when you open the hood. Is there any way I can just disconnect my bottle, put it in someone elses car, and said Im running without nitrous?

Put some wire shrouds around the lines. It will look like a bundle of wires. It worked for me.

Jaimecbr900
02-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Interesting... I might just take the chance on that.

Yeah man, they have never gave me a hard time at all. Most of the time they're more interested in finishing the 50,000 cars in the tech line that they don't get too picky. For some reason they are kinda sticklers about that damn battery tie down thing though. But they've never gave me a hard time when I ran N2O.

Good luck though. Commerce is notorious for not prepping the track for lowly test and tune nights. They save that for NHRA stuff.

That's why you and your boys should come down to Reynolds on the 2nd for the track day there. Reynolds has always been a faster time track. You'd run out of nitrous down there running so many times. ;) :goodjob:

WhiteAccord
02-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Reynolds ehhhhh.... PM me for more info.

Dietcoke
02-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Dont be an idiot. Blow down tube is for your own safety and its a $10 part. Seriously. Common sense applies here.

Nemesis
02-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Dont be an idiot. Blow down tube is for your own safety and its a $10 part. Seriously. Common sense applies here.

Do you realize the amount of pressure needed to activate the pop off valve ?

Jaimecbr900
02-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Reynolds ehhhhh.... PM me for more info.

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158145&highlight=SELOC

Dietcoke
02-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Do you realize the amount of pressure needed to activate the pop off valve ?

Do you realize what that amount of pressure does when there isnt a popoff valve to popoff? Do drivers with 30 year perfect driving records not need seatbelts?

Nemesis
02-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Do you realize what that amount of pressure does when there isnt a popoff valve to popoff? Do drivers with 30 year perfect driving records not need seatbelts?

Do you realize we live in a time where all modern nitrous bottles come with pop off valves?

Dietcoke
02-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Do you realize we live in a time where all modern nitrous bottles come with pop off valves?

What part of that makes it any less a common sense safety item? You've either got it, or you dont. NHRA asks for it. Any tech inspector that notices (and cares) that you've got a bottle will check for it.

Nemesis
02-12-2008, 10:52 AM
What part of that makes it any less a common sense safety item? You've either got it, or you dont. NHRA asks for it. Any tech inspector that notices (and cares) that you've got a bottle will check for it.

I see your point, but this guy doesnt have an all out drag car. Dont try to compare this to seatbelts. Its not the same. The only time he would EVER see a bottle pressure reach critical level is if heater malfunctioned and raised temps too high (even then the nitrous will vent inside the cabin and not harm anything). A blow down tube vents nitrous outside rather than inside the cabin. Either way, if a pop off valve fails, you are ****ed either way. Your trying to say a blow down tube will save a life, in essence will not.

Btw, Ive passed tech many times WITHOUT one, AT NHRA EVENTS. If it was that big of a deal they wouldnt let me go. And yes, Im reffering to times I havent hid my bottle.

Dietcoke
02-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Regs are regs, whether they end up enforced on you or not. I've been kicked out of commerce for a non-factory battery hold down (it was BOLTED down) in the factory spot. Just depends on how anal your tech feels like being.

Jaimecbr900
02-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Regs are regs, whether they end up enforced on you or not. I've been kicked out of commerce for a non-factory battery hold down (it was BOLTED down) in the factory spot. Just depends on how anal your tech feels like being.

Yet I've been let through without a battery tie down at all. You're right though, it's just up to the tech guy you get too. I just bs with them and they usually are cool about little things. They are anal about that battery tie down thing though. :D

David88vert
02-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Most, if not all, pop-off valves are set for 3000psi. Pop-offs are usually not required at the track for cars with trunks.

AnthonyF
02-12-2008, 10:26 PM
the bottle must be secured away from the driver (trunk) or if it is mounted right next to the driver, it needs to be in a enclosed box. must have a blow down tube.