PDA

View Full Version : Overheating EG/need bigger radiator

rickylsi
02-09-2008, 06:27 PM
My eg keeps overheating when im on the highway running over 3800 rpm for awhile. I can turn on the heat and then its fine. I would like to get a bigger radiator but dont know where to start. Im wondering if there is another honda/acura i could get the radiator from that would hook up with no modification. Thanks

bigdare23
02-09-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't think your radiator is the problem

But if you want your car to run cooler, you could get a higher pressure radiator cap and a low temp thermostat, in addition to an aftermarket radiator.

rickylsi
02-09-2008, 06:37 PM
It starting happening when i went from my dx tranny to the si tranny which runs my car at alot higher rpms on the highway.

Tech5
02-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah ok...I had stock radiators in 300 hp car, man, your radiator isnt the problem, do this let the car cool down, an then take the radiator cap off, if it has alot of preasure when you take it off, an you hear alot of nosie, from the preasure, you got a warped head, or your fan isnt working,air pocket,most likely you have a head issue, sorry man, i been around these , your stock radiator is the same as a Si one, an DX sorry, but you have more issues then radiator

southside
02-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Yeah ok...I had stock radiators in 300 hp car, man, your radiator isnt the problem, do this let the car cool down, an then take the radiator cap off, if it has alot of preasure when you take it off, an you hear alot of nosie, from the preasure, you got a warped head, or your fan isnt working,air pocket,most likely you have a head issue, sorry man, i been around these , your stock radiator is the same as a Si one, an DX sorry, but you have more issues then radiatorI dont think it would be the fan because if hes on the interstate he shouldnt need the fan since airs flowing threw the radiator anyways

rickylsi
02-10-2008, 07:17 AM
I dont think it would be the fan because if hes on the interstate he shouldnt need the fan since airs flowing threw the radiator anyways

Its not the fan cause it works when im stopped at lights. It just seems to do it at high rpms. Also it has plenty of pressure. When at normal operating temp if i remove the cap its under pressure.

southside
02-10-2008, 07:28 AM
hmmmmmmm

khaxnguyen
02-10-2008, 07:43 AM
have you checked to see if you FAN actually comes on????? and if u didnt know, when u turn on ur Heat, it triggers the fan to come on... but without the heat, and if fan doesnt come on, you needa check your fo0o0o0ses<< i could be wrong.. well i experienced it before.

rickylsi
02-10-2008, 08:44 AM
have you checked to see if you FAN actually comes on????? and if u didnt know, when u turn on ur Heat, it triggers the fan to come on... but without the heat, and if fan doesnt come on, you needa check your fo0o0o0ses<< i could be wrong.. well i experienced it before.

Been there with the fuses. I had the opposite problem before with it overheating at red lights and that was the fuse. Now it comes on no problem.
I never thought it came on with the heat though. When it was over heating before i staight wired the fan to a toggle and if i used the fan on the highway it would overheat. Now when it starts to heat up on the highway and i turn the heat on it goes back down. I thought all that happens when you turn the heat on is it opens the hose to the heater core allowing the hot water to flow though?

SixSquared
02-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Checked your water pump? I've also seen high hp performance cars running stock radiators. Get a higher pressure cap and see if that helps. If that doesn't, check your water pump. If your pump is fine and you're still running hot, buy my vestean dual core aluminum rad with two fans for $275

Batlground
02-10-2008, 08:52 AM
sounds like you have a low coolant problem.

Heres what to do:
WHen the car is COLD, pull the radiator cap. Fill the Radiator with WATER. Note how much fluid it takes. If its low, then you either have a leak or a blown headgasket. It means coolant is going SOMEWHERE, you are losing it somehow.

If the radiator is full of coolant, then you have a distribution (water pump) or flow problem.

Now, if the radiator is low on water, i would fill it up then start the car up wiht the cap off. Keep filling it and let the car get to operating temp and the thermostat should open. when the thermostat opens, fill the radiator to the top, put the cap on, and go drive it. Drive it for a few hours, or a day or two, then recheck the water level. If its low again, YOU HAVE A LEAK or BLOWN HEADGASKET.

If your radiator is not consuming or losing water, i would replace the thermostat first with an OEM TEMP Thermostat.

WHen was the last time you had a water pump put on?

usually overheating on the highway is a low coolant or water issue.

Its very hard to blow a honda headgasket so unless you have pegged H for a long time, thats prob not the issue. And stock radiators can handle 400whp no problem. SO if you are NA, you dont need a bigger radiator.

SixSquared
02-10-2008, 08:53 AM
I've blown a honda headgasket!!

*flex*

It sucked.

Batlground
02-10-2008, 08:54 AM
I've blown a honda headgasket!!

*flex*

It sucked.
i didnt say it was impossible, i said its unlikely :D

rickylsi
02-10-2008, 09:11 AM
I have a new thermostat. I beleive it is leaking water/coolant from somewhere because every so often i have to fill it up. I dont have any water in the oil at all and only one little place on the outside looks to be leaking oil( just a little bit. I never see any water or oil under my car though. It has been turbo'd now for a year and was turbo'd before with the last owner. I dont know when the water pump was replaced last. The motor should only have about 125k on it. How else would i know if the head gasket was blown?

Batlground
02-10-2008, 09:14 AM
you answered your own question, sounds like you have a leak, let the car run, squeeze hoses and look for leaks.

You can do a compression test on the engine to see if there is any variance between cylinders. you can pull the plugs and look for coolant deposits on the tips.

rickylsi
02-10-2008, 09:16 AM
you answered your own question, sounds like you have a leak, let the car run, squeeze hoses and look for leaks.

You can do a compression test on the engine to see if there is any variance between cylinders. you can pull the plugs and look for coolant deposits on the tips.

Cool thanks for your help. I havent did a comp check in a while. Ill do that today.

redciv1
02-10-2008, 09:28 AM
After I changed the engine on my Civic DX a couple of years back my car started overheating, leak somewhere. Took me a week to find the leak because there was no wetness anywhere. So one day I came home from worked and parked the car and popped the hood. I left the car running for whatever reason and out the corner of my eye, saw a very, very, fine stream of fluid. Turns out one of the coolant hoses on the IM had a very minute pin size hole and the coolant would only spray out when the car was at operating temperature and the coolant started flowing thru the system. And the kicker was that the coolant only squirted out in short pulses. So If you looked and turned away you would have never saw the leak. :2cents:

southside
02-10-2008, 12:02 PM
After I changed the engine on my Civic DX a couple of years back my car started overheating, leak somewhere. Took me a week to find the leak because there was no wetness anywhere. So one day I came home from worked and parked the car and popped the hood. I left the car running for whatever reason and out the corner of my eye, saw a very, very, fine stream of fluid. Turns out one of the coolant hoses on the IM had a very minute pin size hole and the coolant would only spray out when the car was at operating temperature and the coolant started flowing thru the system. And the kicker was that the coolant only squirted out in short pulses. So If you looked and turned away you would have never saw the leak. :2cents:damn u beat me to the punch i just got threw fixing that problem i had a small hose on my im that had a little split in it and it made me lose all my coolant which made my car run hot about 3 time but i still didnt blow a head gasket haha check the hose on the i think its the fitv on the bottom of the tb feel the bottom of it .might have a leak from there