PDA

View Full Version : 96honda odyssey....not warming up?

dumpdaccord
02-08-2008, 11:00 AM
it has same motor and tranny as aaccord of the same year. since ive bought it i cannot get it to warm up. ive been driving it cold since ive had it but i want to fix the problem since i know driving while the motor is cold is not good....

so far ive changed the thermostat...did nothing....

it will reach the cold mark and stay there until driving then it drops down as far as it can....help?

loudap1
02-08-2008, 11:41 PM
you need to bleed the cooling system. cant tell you where your bleeder valves are on that engine but they will be easy to spot(look for the highest point in the cooling system.) take the radiator cap off, start the engine, when the fan kicks on open the bleeder valve. let the coolant run out til there is a steady flow with no air bubbles or spray coming out. my s2000 has had that problem a few times whenever i had the cooling system open or changed something. sometimes i have to bleed it a few time to get all of the air out. if you have air trapped in the system the air pockets will collect and not the the coolant flow a complete loop air will get trapped behind the theromstat and not allow it to heat up and open and close like it should. is your car running hot? i know the gauge will still be showing cold but are your fans coming on? is the engine itself getting really hot or boiling over? give the bleeding a try first. wont cost you anything. also when you have the engine running, rad. cap off and bleeder open thats when you will want to top off the coolant level. hope some of this was a help to you. if not sorry. good luck with that. pm if you have any questions

khaxnguyen
02-09-2008, 08:34 AM
^^ that's alot.. well look turn the car on for about 10 minutes.. and let it idle. there should be two radiator hoses. feel both of them.. and if one of them isnt getting hot/warm, you should replace your thermostat. well make sure u're not leaking anything. and i bet you.. u dont get much heat in your car eh? haha well good luck.. keep posting

dumpdaccord
02-09-2008, 08:05 PM
i changed the thermostat yesterday that was my first guess...but isnt a stuck therm o suppose to make it overheat?

anyway it gets perfect heat(hot enough to make you turn it off for a while) and ice cold a/c?

im gonna go outside and take off the cap and let it idle in a min.

and the raditor is full as hell and the coolant is the color of grass.....

khaxnguyen
02-10-2008, 07:47 AM
yeah it does but it wont show it on your cluster.. it happened to me lol.. my friend said, if the thermostat doesnt open, the hot coolant doesnt flow through.. after the thermostat is where the tempature is messured... OH and make sure u have a goood misture of coolant:water. too much isnt that great ether. =D

integar94
02-15-2008, 10:00 PM
but isnt a stuck therm o suppose to make it overheat?

Well if it stuck open, than it gonna allow coolant to flow threw it all the time which will make ur engine stay cold as ice

MidLifeCrisis
02-15-2008, 11:19 PM
try a different cluster, or an aftermarket temp gauge.

dumpdaccord
02-16-2008, 09:57 AM
try a different cluster, or an aftermarket temp gauge.

today im going today to get another sending unit...i think thats the problem...il update tonite.