PDA

View Full Version : .45ACP ammo choices....opinions??!!

ahmonrah
02-06-2008, 04:49 PM
ok, so i'm sitting here after a day at the range....and i've expended all of my practice ammo.

i'm looking at ammo online now, and the problem comes.

WHAT TYPE OF AMMO DO I WANT TO GET!!?? :???:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/73109.jpg
i'm wondering about these glaser rounds

i've fired remington GOLDEN SABER 45auto+P round and the report is like a CANNON!:bannana: stopping power with +p rounds are great. but i didnt want to grab my ammo from walmart. damn that.

then come these:
.45auto shotshell
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/64455.jpg
i dont know why i want them.....but i do.

then there's wolf ammo
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/37234.jpg
never bought it, never shot it. but i've been wondering about it.

either way, i'm buying more ammo and dont know which way to look, i can always just get the remington golden sabers, but i dont want to.

opinons?

Dracc
02-06-2008, 04:58 PM
my pops swears and lives by wolf .45 ammo... thats like his thing right there.. about 40 box's in his gun safe.. try them and see how you like them

ahmonrah
02-06-2008, 05:03 PM
they are reasonably priced and i can get 1k rounds for little.
sometimes picking the right ammo is like going shopping for your girl......ugh!

then there are these:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/38147.jpg
185-grain Fang Face Jacketed Hollow Point bullet, 1150 fps

Big Baller
02-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I run Corban Power Balls in my guns looks a lot like the Glacer stuff you have pictured.

allmotoronly
02-06-2008, 05:18 PM
are you looking for practice ammo or personal protection ammo?

Dracc
02-06-2008, 05:20 PM
they are reasonably priced and i can get 1k rounds for little.
sometimes picking the right ammo is like going shopping for your girl......ugh!

then there are these:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/38147.jpg
185-grain Fang Face Jacketed Hollow Point bullet, 1150 fps

i had Hp's awhile ago.. but the extreme's are nice.. fired them in a .40 cal at the gun range bacc home.. its all about what you like.. i see test them out to figure out what you like

Jaimecbr900
02-06-2008, 05:37 PM
All of the ammo pictured is specialty ammo. The Glaser is for personal protection and is frangible ammo. Very low collateral penetration possibility, but that's also it's downfall....low penetration. It works great if you're shooting someone without any clothes on.

The Shotshells pictured are basically snake shot. It is worthless for personal protection, but works great for snakes and rats.

Never heard of the Wolf nor the Extreme Shock, so don't know.

I carry Corbon +P or +P+ in all my guns.

EssAreTwenTee
02-06-2008, 05:46 PM
forget about the rat shot, a friend of mine shot a possum with it and the possum got pissed and came after him. I'd stick with regular ball shot to avoid jams. If you want to avoid overpenetration then try some pre fragmented.

ahmonrah
02-06-2008, 06:07 PM
All of the ammo pictured is specialty ammo. The Glaser is for personal protection and is frangible ammo. Very low collateral penetration possibility, but that's also it's downfall....low penetration. It works great if you're shooting someone without any clothes on.

The Shotshells pictured are basically snake shot. It is worthless for personal protection, but works great for snakes and rats.

Never heard of the Wolf nor the Extreme Shock, so don't know.

I carry Corbon +P or +P+ in all my guns.i've been looking at corbon also. they've got good reviews. and i'll narrow the focus between wolf and corbon.....the makers of extreme shock ammo intruced that ammo about 5-6 years ago? it honestly coincided with the 9-11 incident and subsequent invasion of iraq. the specialty rounds i'll leave where they are.

thanks jaime and all others.

onward to finish this order......

ahmonrah
02-06-2008, 06:11 PM
are you looking for practice ammo or personal protection ammo?
since i've decided to use the .380 for practice only (cheaper + i just need to keep my aim on point ) i need more defense ammo.

Julio
02-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Corban... **** all that other bull****.

RISKYB
02-06-2008, 06:21 PM
for protection ive always liked the jacketed hollow points but get a good brand like at an actual gun shop

ahmonrah
02-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Corban... **** all that other bull****.that's what i've ordered, just 1 box for now, looking through where i keep all my weapons i found a half box of remingtons, so i'm good for now. but if i like the corbons, i'll order 1k rounds then.

RandomGuy
02-06-2008, 07:02 PM
dunno, i used A LOT of wolf thru my ak's never jammed.. decent ammo, and super cheap

was not super accurate and never jammed, but then again we are talking about a kalashnikov haha.

EssAreTwenTee
02-06-2008, 07:09 PM
dunno, i used A LOT of wolf thru my ak's never jammed.. decent ammo, and super cheap

was not super accurate and never jammed, but then again we are talking about a kalashnikov haha.

yeah my ak has never jammed, but I've had pistols jam from hollowpoints before

Jaimecbr900
02-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Just FYI, most of the time when a gun is ammo sensitive it's more about the GUN than it is the ammo. For example, big flying ashtray hollow points on a worked Colt 1911 Combat Commander will NOT jam where as the exact same ammo in a Hi-Point will. Some guns are indeed more ammo sensitive than others, but that's usually due to the gun.

Ball ammo is only really good for target practice. It has the lowest stopping power of any other bullet design of the same caliber. It is less expensive and therefore people usually have it laying around. It is perfectly fine to use to put your gun through it's paces. For defense, it's a BIG no-no. Most of the time it over penetrates, doesn't expand reliably, and often times is not as "hot" as HP's.

When you are choosing ammo for defense, you have to FIRST make sure it feeds RELIABLY through your gun. No matter how great the ballistics are on paper for any round, if it doesn't feed through your gun then it's as worthless as tits on a hog to you. After it feeds through the gun all the time, THEN you look at bullet design, weight, how "hot" a load it is, etc.

Marksmanship and proper maintenance of the weapon is far more crucial than ammo selection 90% of the time. If I tag you with a pair of 230 grain .45 slugs in the middle of your chest, you're NOT getting up regardless of what HP I use. Right? So, spend more time at the range and properly cleaning your gun than sweating if one bullet goes 100 fps faster than another. Trust me, they will ALL kill if placed properly.

BTW, this was meant as general public service announcement and not at anyone in particular. ;) :goodjob:

RandomGuy
02-06-2008, 07:46 PM
yeah my ak has never jammed, but I've had pistols jam from hollowpoints beforedude i never found that cheap ammo that you were telling me about a long time ago

lmk next time you go i'll pm you my number or something

Julio
02-06-2008, 07:47 PM
I know one thing.. Do not use hollow point with a 9mm High point.. **** will jam.. Might as well shoot yourself if you plan on defending yourself with one..

EssAreTwenTee
02-06-2008, 11:11 PM
dude i never found that cheap ammo that you were telling me about a long time ago

lmk next time you go i'll pm you my number or something

I'll let you know next time I'm heading down there. Its been awhile since i've gone so hopefully it hasnt jumped up that much.

HvyArms
02-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Wolf is pretty cheap, what kinda gun is it?

ahmonrah
02-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Wolf is pretty cheap, what kinda gun is it?glock model 21

HvyArms
02-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Mmm, I stopped effin with Glocks a while ago. But recently, I've heard that they've really improved their quality. Wolf works well in my H&K

ahmonrah
02-07-2008, 09:26 AM
what turned you away from glocks?
h&K is a great company, have been for some time, i like their rifles but never bought one. i prolly will soon though...

HvyArms
02-07-2008, 09:38 AM
I've heard a lot about misfires and jams. When I was younger, everyone who was old enough had a Glock. My stepfather own one now, it's a .40, the kick is crazy.

My H&K is a .45 and I love it because it's light and has about as much recoil as a 9mm. Easy to take apart and clean. I own a Taurus, a Springfield, and two HKs. Got a few ARs as well, but to be honest, I don't know a whole lot about weapons.

Jaimecbr900
02-07-2008, 09:45 AM
I have no idea where people get that Glocks have ammo issues. To be honest, it's probably one of the least if not THE least ammo sensitive gun I own......and I have a couple.:D ;)

ahmonrah
02-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I know, right?
glocks are fine, so long as people avoid RELOADS!!!!

cheap reloaded ammo = expensive glock replacement
http://www.frontsight.com/Images/DamagedGlock21/Glock21FrameCloseUp_640x480.gif
http://www.frontsight.com/Images/Glock21ReloadDamage/glock02.jpg
http://www.frontsight.com/Images/Glock21ReloadDamage/glock03.jpg

(not mine BTW)

HvyArms
02-07-2008, 10:00 AM
ooh ugly

BLK JDM
02-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Corbon Pow-R-Balls or Federal HydroShocks are the only personal protection ammo I use!!

Please don't misconstrue all this internet falsities on Glocks!! I've personally owned 5 Glocks and have thrown all kinds of ammo in them and I've had no problems what so ever. All of my Glocks have been fired at least 500-2000 rounds WITHOUT EVER JAMBING-EVER!!