PDA

View Full Version : BAN overweight people for eating... for there own good!!!

Jimmy B
02-06-2008, 11:08 AM
http://news.aol.com/health/story/_a/bill-to-ban-serving-obese-sparks-furor/20080206091709990001

i say GOOD!!!!

(Feb. 6) - Nutrition experts are burning up calories in expressing their outrage over proposed legislation in Mississippi that would prohibit restaurants from serving obese customers.

They say the proposed bill, still in committee, is "ridiculous," "insane" and a wrong-headed approach to solving the national obesity epidemic.

State Rep. John Read, a Republican who is one of the bill's three authors, says he wasn't trying to offend anybody and never even expected the plan to become law.

"I was trying to shed a little light on the No. 1 problem in Mississippi," he says. The state has the highest obesity rate in the USA.

Steve Holland, the Democratic chairman of the House Public Health and Human Services Committee, said in a statement he will "pocket veto" the bill. "It's dead on arrival at my desk."

Although he appreciates the "efforts of my fellow House members to help curb the obesity problem in Mississippi, this is totally the wrong approach."

About one-third of Americans are obese (30 or more pounds over a healthy weight), and 66% are overweight or obese. Even so, obesity experts are outraged by the bill.

"It would be hard to concoct something more ridiculous," says Kelly Brownell, director of Yale University's Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity.

"This brings bias against obese individuals to a new and appalling level, and at a time when significant progress is being made in the effort to stop blaming obesity on the people who have it and to address the social and political conditions that drive it.

"Are these legislators fighting to get rid of soft drinks in schools? Are they working to stop the relentless marketing of unhealthy foods to children? Are they doing anything about the fact that poor people do not have access to healthy foods?"

Timothy Church, director of preventive medicine research at Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, says the idea for the proposed law is "insane. I don't even know how to react to something so bizarre. This is five steps backward. This is not how you address the problem on so many levels.

Feed (javascript:void(0);)

http://www.aolcdn.com/channels/0a/05/468950d5-00224-01c37-400cb8e1

'Bragging rights' go to both Dems (http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-02-05-dem-tuesday_N.htm?csp=23&RM_Exclude=aol)
47 dead as tornadoes rip across South (http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/tornadoes/2008-02-05-south-storms_N.htm?csp=23&RM_Exclude=aol)
Stocks rebound after Tuesday's plunge (http://www.usatoday.com/money/markets/2008-02-06-stocks-wed_N.htm?csp=23&RM_Exclude=aol)
L.A. judge wants Sean Stewart, couple to settle... (http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2008-02-05-sean-stewart_N.htm?csp=23&RM_Exclude=aol)
Top recruit Pryor delays signing announcement (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/recruiting/football/2008-02-06-pryor_N.htm?csp=23&RM_Exclude=aol)
More Stories (http://www.usatoday.com/)

"And what about civil rights? It's totally unenforceable, and you'd be alienating people. Most people who are obese don't want to be that way."

Morgan Downey, executive director of the Obesity Society, an organization of weight-loss researchers and professionals, calls the proposed law "the most ill-conceived plan to address a public health crisis ever proposed."

Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, says the bill sponsors "should be ashamed of themselves. Can you imagine how embarrassing it would be for an overweight high school student to go to a restaurant with a few slimmer friends and not be allowed to buy certain foods?"

Food industry spokesmen agree.

J. Justin Wilson of the Center for Consumer Freedom, a group financed by the restaurant and food industry, said in a statement: "This is the latest example of food cops run amok. Are waiters supposed to carry scales around the restaurant and weigh every customer? Give me a break. What's next? Will waitresses soon be expected to make sure we eat all our veggies?"

MistaCee
02-06-2008, 11:15 AM
They should have been doing that. Buisnesses are gonna take a hit though

TicketRedBB6
02-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Lol, funny, but so wrong. I'd like to see some 150lb waiter tell a 300 pound dude he can't eat there cuz he's too fat:lmfao: :lmfao: . That wouldn't work too long.

MistaCee
02-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Lol, funny, but so wrong. I'd like to see some 150lb waiter tell a 300 pound dude he can't eat there cuz he's too fat:lmfao: :lmfao: . That wouldn't work too long.

LOL I can see it now.

"Sir i'm sorry you cant eat here due to fatty laws"
":rant: I NEED MY FOOOOD!" LOL

thepolecat
02-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Buffets would have a limit?

Fat people will be rolling to the voting booth but unable to to stop the law since they cant fit in.

BKgen®
02-06-2008, 11:24 AM
thank God. That's the last thing i wanna see when i'm trying to eat is some fat tub of lard stuffin their face.

thepolecat
02-06-2008, 11:25 AM
DAMMIT IM NOT FAT, IM FLUFFY!!!!

Reaper
02-06-2008, 11:26 AM
lol this is awesome

Ran
02-06-2008, 11:42 AM
So what about people like me? I only weigh 180, but I usually eat a Grande Meal or a Sackful of Krystals by myself.

SloWRX
02-06-2008, 11:57 AM
i say go for it. the people that are obese, know theyre obese so why would they get offended...

Nemesis
02-06-2008, 11:59 AM
what about people that have "medical" conditions lol

SixSquared
02-06-2008, 12:08 PM
This makes me laugh... and I'm the one everyone ****s with about being fat... I hate when people try to blame advertisements/whatever on why this country is filled with fatasses.. Sure, some people have a genetic predisposition to be larger than others.. But when you grew up an average weight, spent most of your life an average weight, and then one day decided that your life was miserable or your boyfriend broke up with you and you binged until you weighed 300lbs, that is no one's fault but your own. There is no advertising exec holding your mouth open and shoving a double quarter pounder with cheese AND bacon, a large order of fries, and a gallon of coke down your throat. You do that **** to yourself, now you're a fattie, live with it. People are gonna **** with you (like the mother****ers on here..), call you names, whatever. If you're so offended by it, get off your fat ass and go to the friggin gym.. not that hard! Walk a mile a day... be AMAZED what happens after a month. For people who are genetically predisposed to being big, there's a difference between being a large framed person and being a fat****... and don't try to say it's some damn genetics that are the reason you are a 6'1 man who weighs 330lbs at 28% bodyfat. GAH... It's these whiny bitches that make everyone pick on fatties... I swear.

- The IA Fat Chick

and as a sidenote... the whole walking a mile thing really does work... I'm 24lbs (and counting) slimmer than the last time you ****ers saw me out and about. :goodjob:

Ran
02-06-2008, 12:09 PM
what about people that have "medical" conditions lolYou mean like this?

http://www.zippyvideos.com/5733902942845446/family-guy-peter-visits-doctor-a2b/

mocha latte cupcake
02-06-2008, 12:09 PM
right... medical... i'm a fat ass lol help me lol.... i keed i keed... my grandmother couldn't move for a few months... bad knee and other things.. and she gained alot of weight... so i agree but really how you gunna prove that? lol

MistaCee
02-06-2008, 12:12 PM
This makes me laugh... and I'm the one everyone ****s with about being fat... I hate when people try to blame advertisements/whatever on why this country is filled with fatasses.. Sure, some people have a genetic predisposition to be larger than others.. But when you grew up an average weight, spent most of your life an average weight, and then one day decided that your life was miserable or your boyfriend broke up with you and you binged until you weighed 300lbs, that is no one's fault but your own. There is no advertising exec holding your mouth open and shoving a double quarter pounder with cheese AND bacon, a large order of fries, and a gallon of coke down your throat. You do that **** to yourself, now you're a fattie, live with it. People are gonna **** with you (like the mother****ers on here..), call you names, whatever. If you're so offended by it, get off your fat ass and go to the friggin gym.. not that hard! Walk a mile a day... be AMAZED what happens after a month. For people who are genetically predisposed to being big, there's a difference between being a large framed person and being a fat****... and don't try to say it's some damn genetics that are the reason you are a 6'1 man who weighs 330lbs at 28% bodyfat. GAH... It's these whiny bitches that make everyone pick on fatties... I swear.

- The IA Fat Chick

and as a sidenote... the whole walking a mile thing really does work... I'm 24lbs (and counting) slimmer than the last time you ****ers saw me out and about. :goodjob:

Exactly but most people need a wake up call first. I went to the resturant this weekend and saw multiple obese people just over grubbing. So putting this law in effect will IMO lower obese rates

SixSquared
02-06-2008, 12:18 PM
right... medical... i'm a fat ass lol help me lol.... i keed i keed... my grandmother couldn't move for a few months... bad knee and other things.. and she gained alot of weight... so i agree but really how you gunna prove that? lol

Word... I got tubbeh when I ****ed up my knee when I was 13 in a horseback riding accident and didn't even start walking again for a month.

Personally, I get almost self conscious when I'm in a restaurant... maybe it's cause I haven't always been chubbs mcgee... who knows. I never finish all my food, and usually order something involving grilled chicken... I think with most Americans, it's not what you eat that gets you.. it's the whole not excercising thing. Before I messed up my knee, I was playing softball, soccer, and riding horses. When I ****ed up my knee, I didn't change my eating habits, and all of a sudden I had calories to burn but nothing to do to burn em. People think they can eat the way they did when they were growing up, but as your metabolism slows, unless you do something to keep it up (IE getting off your fat ass and going to the gym), you're gonna get fatter.. and fatter...

I don't necessarily think people need a wake up call or anything.. But no amount of encouraging (or teasing, you bastards) from other people is gonna make someone start going to the gym.. It's just gotta be a personal "Wow... I be tired of being tubbeh chubbs".

Having a way hot gym partner like I do doesn't hurt either... :bannana:

Jimmy B
02-06-2008, 12:35 PM
im 5'8. 150, and can eat like a horse... but im active in sports, work, adn my life.. thats where most people have the problem,.. they do NOTHING acitve

Ran
02-06-2008, 12:38 PM
im 5'8. 150, and can eat like a horse... but im active in sports, work, adn my life.. thats where most people have the problem,.. they do NOTHING acitveI'm 6'3", 180, and I eat like no tomorrow. I don't play any sports or anything either. I just have a metabolism from Hell. :D

soul
02-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Wow,this is unbelivable, i love in the article how its says, "Are they doing anything about the fact that poor people do not have access to healthy foods?"

what ****ing crok of ****. healthy foods are almost the cheapest food, Example Cartons of Eggz, Chicken, Pork, Lettuce, and your healthy carbs.

People need to ****ing remember FOOD IS FOR NOURISHMENT NOT PLEASURE damn ignorant people piss me off, an ignorant fatass's piss me off.

Im fat cause i have health problems, my thyrode or my glands. GTFO that is a factor, but that ****ing fast food you eat 3x a week, or eating out and getting **** 3x a week, oh and not excerising or nothing is the reason you FUC KING FAT, stop making ****ing excuses

SixSquared
02-06-2008, 01:28 PM
^^I actually buy into the poor people not buying healthy food... think about it... you are poor and either homeless or on the verge of it.. you can buy a pork tenderloin for $4 that you then have to cook in an oven that you may or may not have, or for $4 you can get a double quarter pounder combo at McDonald's and feel full, without having to wait for your food or have a place to cook it. Personally, I think fast food should be more expensive... Look at the more expensive fast food chains like Zaxby's.. you can go in there and get a good meal, like a chicken salad and drink, for like $9. Sure you can get chicken tenders and fries, but I can guarantee you that a chicken tender plate with a coke from Zaxby's is better for you than a chicken nugget/chicken tender meal from McD's. If the government wants to get involved with keeping fatty levels down, it doesn't need to go banning people from restaurants or from certain restaurant items.. it needs to look at the restaurants and start legislation on them. Sure, restaurant prices would go up, because they would be forced to use better ingredients and cook in a healthier way, but look at the people you see who are healthiest.. they almost never go out for meals.. cooking at home > restaurants any day. You're a lot more conscious of how much you put in your face, and you don't overstuff yourself eating that "last 3 bites" that you don't wanna take home and don't wanna throw out because you feel bad. When I'm sitting around the house and make myself a sandwich for lunch, if I'm not hungry after half of it, I toss it in the fridge for later, no big deal.

*sigh* Seriously... if fatties of the world would sit down for ONE session with a trainer/nutritionist, they would realize that it is SO not that hard to be healthier. My trainer is way cool, and he looked at my eating patterns and everything, and the program he has me on now is SO painless. Classic eating less food more times a day deal. He also really changed my attitude when it comes to overweight people, and now I have a quasi-hypocritical viewpoint, and I will not hesitate to call someone chubbs mcgee.. but that's because I get off my ass and get on the treadmill, and if I can do it, after a double knee replacement (one when I was 13, then another when I was 17 for an "adult" knee) and years in physical therapy, anyone can do it. Sure, it hurts, but the pain is the chubb leaving. :P

soul
02-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Mcd's Nuggets are actually one of the healthiest things on the menu there or nywhere else.

like 220 calories 90 from fat, low fat% 15 g carbs 15g protien

Crazy Asian
02-06-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm 6'3", 180, and I eat like no tomorrow. I don't play any sports or anything either. I just have a metabolism from Hell. :D

HAH YOUR FAT!!! I'm 6'5 and weigh 177. HAH I BEAT YOU!!!

Ran
02-06-2008, 03:07 PM
HAH YOUR FAT!!! I'm 6'5 and weigh 177. HAH I BEAT YOU!!!No, you're just anorexic. :lmao:

Crazy Asian
02-06-2008, 03:09 PM
/cry. WHY YOU SO MEAN!!!?? I eat healthy and a lot. I think we asian have it good.

BKgen®
02-06-2008, 05:11 PM
damn this thread has waaaaaaaaaay too much reading :no: