PDA

View Full Version : GTi 1.8t Swap Question..

BiH1320
02-05-2008, 06:26 PM
I am planning to do a swap in my 01 Golf GL. I want to put a 1.8T gti swap in it. What shop's can do the swap? Can I pay monthly? How long will it take to get the engine and put it in..? I want to put a 02 and up engine in it..
WHO DOES THE BEST WORK? Will it pull better than a stock GTi?
The golf gl seems to weigh a bit less since I have no sunroof nor power windows.. Nothing in the car is power.. LOLL
Even worse I have no cruise control :no:. Back to the subject. But all info regarding the swap would be really appreciated big time.
How much would everything run me?
And can someone please find me a video of a 01 Golf GL/GLS with a 1.8T swap that's on a track. Just like to see what they can do.

Thanks.
Emir.

4dmin
02-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Eurotech is the best shop to go to for VW/Audi/Porsche hands down. call up there and talk to brian tell him paul from IA sent ya. www.eurotechatlanta.com

thegreatfnr
02-06-2008, 12:58 PM
It would probably be cheaper in the long run to just sell that 2.sl0 and just buy a GTI 1.8t
:2cents:

but if you are 100% up for a swap take it to either brian eurotech or scott at assist.

Lee :cheers:

Total_Blender
02-06-2008, 03:02 PM
x2

Theres really no point to swapping when you can just sell your car and get a MkIV with a 1.8T

You won't really save any money, because by the time you find an engine all the other swap parts, and complete the swap, you'll have made up for the difference in price between your car and a factory 1.8T car AND used a bunch of time to boot... not to mention liability issues with the shop if something goes wrong. And theres a LOT that can go wrong on a MkIV. :crazy:

The power stuff really doesn't add much weight, maybe 20lbs or so if that. And its all weight behind the front axle anyway, which is probably good for a nose-heavy VW.

sleepin240
02-06-2008, 07:27 PM
u are better off selling the car and buying a MK4 1.8t GTI, or just go ahead and get a GLI.

Brown Man
02-07-2008, 01:30 AM
u are better off selling the car and buying a MK4 1.8t GTI, or just go ahead and get a GLI.

or a 20th anniversary gti or a 337 gti......

GermanMuscle
02-07-2008, 10:19 AM
sell your car and get a gti 1.8t it will be cheaper and more reliable

4dmin
02-07-2008, 12:52 PM
honestly i would build the 2.slo before i would do anything else to the car(it is cheaper)... you mentioned track in your post what kind of track do you plan on running at drag/road? b/c those are two completely different setups.

personally i would pick up a used SC; they don't make much power but very reliable and perfect setup for mnt runs or road racing.

there are a few turbo kits for the 2.slo but if your going to go through all of that i would just either upgrade to a nicer car not golf or do a vr6 swap + boost. 1.8t doesn't make enough power to go through all of that trouble. i've seen s4 go for 9k; i'd buy one of those and put GIAC on it and call it a day.

BiH1320
02-07-2008, 10:35 PM
hmmm ill take a look into s4.
track.. as in running the car at the track.. but they will pretty much run the same i guess..
yeah im looking to sell mine.. arent the 2.slow engine's weak for sc or turbo kits though..

sorry for not adding question mark's at the end of my sentence's.. they dont work sometimes.. keyboard is ghey.

Allstar3.8T
02-08-2008, 08:12 AM
sell your car and get a gti 1.8t it will be cheaper and more reliable
Agreed, why pay all that labor, when I am sure there has to be other things you'd change if you could. Sell it on Autotrader, and just buy a clean 1.8T golf/gti/jetta.

BiH1320
02-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Agreed, why pay all that labor, when I am sure there has to be other things you'd change if you could. Sell it on Autotrader, and just buy a clean 1.8T golf/gti/jetta.

yeah that's what im gonna do. best thing.

AlenGTI1.8T
02-29-2008, 10:17 PM
get a 20th

Total_Blender
03-05-2008, 03:55 PM
arent the 2.slow engine's weak for sc or turbo kits though..

VW's iron blocks are some of the strongest 4cyl block made. :goodjob:

As for the rest of the engine, I do know that OBD1 ABA's (2.0 from a MkIII) had forged crank and rods. With the OBD 2 motors they stopped doing forged cranks and switched to cast. I think all VW rods are forged, but I don't know that for sure. Also, the OBD1 motors have nozzles coming off the oil galley that squirt oil onto the piston skirts to cool them. The OBD2 motors don't have this either.

I have no idea what they are using in 2.slo's now, they may have switched back to forged cranks and oil squirters since '95 when the OBD2 engines came out.

But even with a cast crank you're still starting with a strong bottom end, as long as you don't go nuts with the power adders.

But building a 2.0 for a car as heavy as the MkIV is an excercise in epic fail unless you build a stroker based on a diesel crank with custom rod/pistons and use the 20v head or something. :crazy: