PDA

View Full Version : Truck Drivng Question

#1Beaver
02-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Im 22 years old
i have a federal felony on my record (gun charge)
driving record past ( had recklas driving, and 1 street racing ticket) those are the major onces.

My question is there any company that will hire me on for a company driver

Some people told me if my offence was state insted of federal i mite have a chance some people said its my age or driving record?

Ive tried with swift and some smaller companies and they didn't want me

Thanks for your help :goodjob:

#1Beaver
02-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Any Help

blown_ss
02-05-2008, 08:41 AM
good luck with that. first you are really young and then your record is not good at all. most companies will not hire you at all. most insurance companies will not insure you at all.

quickdodgeŽ
02-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Ive tried with swift and some smaller companies and they didn't want me

Honestly, if Swift didn't take you, then no one will. Swift is the easiest place to get on with.

first you are really young

He said he was 22. Age isn't a factor. Later, QD.

Dr.G35
02-05-2008, 10:08 AM
the driving record is what screwed you, you prob going to have to wait i think around 5 years? not sure on that though ill ask my gf dad he works for abf and see what he says.

BABY J
02-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Try a local company instead of OTR. An owner operator w/ more trucks than he has drivers will gladly look at you. Also try WATKINS.

You won't get any security loads though for years.

quickdodgeŽ
02-05-2008, 01:47 PM
wait i think around 5 years?

Longer than that. Much longer. Later, QD.

Vuongy_Dong
02-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Alex, first, before looking around, you will need a CDL license, then look for a truck driving job.

#1Beaver
02-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Alex, first, before looking around, you will need a CDL license, then look for a truck driving job.
no, if i get on with a company they'll pay for my CDL school
there would be no reson to go out and pay for a CDL and i can get hired

BTLFED
02-05-2008, 06:09 PM

There is no way that you are going to get hired on, especially with a company that will pay for your CDL. Plus, CDLs are WAY more strict as far as points, and those major traffic violations will not allow you to get a CDL for at least 7 years. No CDL, no hiring anywhere.

My dads been a truck driver for 35 years. Can you tell? lol

dumpdaccord
02-05-2008, 09:26 PM

theymight pay for it but theyll make you sign a contract for a year and if you get fired or quit before your time theyll make you pay it back or screw your credit(WM)....

the reckless driving really screwed you....some private owners will take you with minor backgrounds but when you screw up your drivin record they cant touch cuz it costs them to pay you....i know cuz i have my A w/ 0 points but like 10 tickets and its hard for me to find work here in GA....

DDam
02-05-2008, 11:14 PM
yeah, you won't be able to get your CDL with your driving record.

slow_hatch
02-05-2008, 11:31 PM
yeah, you won't be able to get your CDL with your driving record.

x2, I think you chances of even getting you CDLs are very VERY small. Much less finding a company that will pay for you to go get them.

quickdodgeŽ
02-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Lolol @ a lot of misinformation on here.

Dude can get his CDL anytime he wants to. It's the same as getting a regular Class C license. As long as he has a valid license, he can get it. Dude is also right about getting hired at a company that will get him his CDL. What he may not know is that it isn't free. But, unlike what someone else mentioned, he doesn't sign a contract. The school tuition will be taken out of his paychecks over the course of one year. If he quits that company before the year, he has to pay the balance in order to keep the license.

Champwhite. In reality, it is MUCH, MUCH cheaper to get your CDL on your own. If you go to school, you'll pay at least $3,000. I paid $75. But I also had access to a truck to take the test in. So don't be so quick to think you'll get a freebie with any company.

Later, QD.

DDam
02-06-2008, 03:27 AM
well I base my statement by the following which was listed as driver qualifications by the DOT and can be found in the state booklet as well:

A driver can certify that, during the 2-year period immediately prior to applying for a CDL he/she:

Has not had more than one license;
Has not had any license suspended, revoked, or canceled;
Has not had any convictions in any type of motor vehicle for major disqualifying offenses;
Has not had more than one conviction for any type of motor vehicle for serious traffic violations;
Has not had any violation of State or local law relating to motor vehicle traffic control arising in connection with any traffic accident, and has no record of an accident in which he/she was at fault.

quickdodgeŽ
02-06-2008, 08:37 AM
After speaking with an instructor at a local driving school, I have verified that I am correct. To a point. There are a couple of items that can disqualify you from a CDL. But, the disqualification will only last 60 to 90 days. Not years. If you will go get your MVR and check it out. Beside any infractions, it will actually tell you if it disqualifies you from getting a CDL. And if it does, like I said, it will only hold you up for 2-3 months. You need to pull up a 7 year history. Your age is NOT a factor. If you get your MVR, call Stephanie at 770-614-6022. Later, QD.

#1Beaver
02-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks every body im glad QD came and spred knowledge when i posted this thread i remember my last thread about a job QD said he had a CDL
Also thanks to everybody eldse
When i was in prison i took a cdl course it was over all of the bood stuff but we had no way of getting in a truck so you can say im book smart about it but as fare as driving I never have.
Thats my problem I thought about just getting my CDL but i havent had any time to learn in a truck I just know about the truck.
Yes i do know that you have to sighn a contract if I get on with a company and it isnt free itll get out of my check
But what im getting out of this is that I need to what for my driving record to clear and lol by that time I can also try ad get a padon for my federal record to get off
so i dont know what im gonna do but thanks for the advice!

dumpdaccord
02-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Lolol @ a lot of misinformation on here.

Dude can get his CDL anytime he wants to. It's the same as getting a regular Class C license. As long as he has a valid license, he can get it. Dude is also right about getting hired at a company that will get him his CDL. What he may not know is that it isn't free. But, unlike what someone else mentioned, he doesn't sign a contract. The school tuition will be taken out of his paychecks over the course of one year. If he quits that company before the year, he has to pay the balance in order to keep the license.

Champwhite. In reality, it is MUCH, MUCH cheaper to get your CDL on your own. If you go to school, you'll pay at least $3,000. I paid $75. But I also had access to a truck to take the test in. So don't be so quick to think you'll get a freebie with any company.

Later, QD.

i put (WasteManagement) when i spoke of the contract becuse thats how they do it but every company is different.Not all do contracts. WM pays for it in full if you dont breach contract. i paid $1650 for my CDLA and the gov. paid for it(financial aid).....if you qualify you can get your CDL free.

but your MVR is screwed so id look into somthin else for the next couple years unless you personally know somebody with a truck.

quickdodgeŽ
02-06-2008, 01:52 PM
but your MVR is screwed so id look into somthin else for the next couple years unless you personally know somebody with a truck.

His MVR isn't screwed. As I said above, if his conviction was yesterday, he'd only have to wait a maximum of 90 days before he can get the CDL.

ChampWhite.....first thing to do is spring for the 7 Year MVR. Should cost either $7 or $10. It'll say if you're able to get one. Later, QD.

dumpdaccord
02-06-2008, 04:50 PM
His MVR isn't screwed. As I said above, if his conviction was yesterday, he'd only have to wait a maximum of 90 days before he can get the CDL.

ChampWhite.....first thing to do is spring for the 7 Year MVR. Should cost either $7 or $10. It'll say if you're able to get one. Later, QD.

reckless drivin and street racing = screwed to me....

i have 0 points on my license and schinder or swift wouldnt take me...:thinking:

if you know somebody that would take his record lmk too cuz i also need a job...

dLux636
02-06-2008, 05:10 PM
there are some owner-operators that might give you a chance. only thing is no such thing as job security. or you could just get your CDL and buy your own truck and start your business. iam being serious. buy your own truck, no sleepercab and try to work for rooms to go. they use people with their own trucks but they provide the trailor and work.

but even with your record, (i would say it will be held against you with every job you apply at) you should still get your CDL. it comes in handy even with jobs that are not truck driving jobs. police depts. need officers with CDL's. those huge mobile response units, yup need your class a or b cant remember which one. also fire fighting depts.

quickdodgeŽ
02-06-2008, 05:56 PM
reckless drivin and street racing = screwed to me....

Well then it's good thing you don't run the DMV because according to them if it doesn't say your CDL disqualified, then you're good to go.

i have 0 points on my license and schinder or swift wouldnt take me...:thinking:

This is different. I'm talking about him getting his CDL. Not a job. Of course you're record will fucc you up. But do you have a bad 7 year history? That's how far they go back. Hail, the day I got hired on with Swift, I had just had my license re-instated from a 90 day suspension. So I don't know what's up with you.

dumpd, do you currently have a CDL? Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
02-06-2008, 05:59 PM
there are some owner-operators that might give you a chance.

Fat chance, lolol. The things you hear when you're on the road will change people's minds about a lot of things they think they know or feel. I've come across so many o/o's that won't even think about letting a rookie or someone with a historical driving record get behind the wheel of their truck. Think about it. They own that truck. They have to pay for that burnt clutch. Or blown turbo. Or whatever. They are not about to have some rookie cause them $2,000 in repairs. Later, QD.

dumpdaccord
02-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Well then it's good thing you don't run the DMV because according to them if it doesn't say your CDL disqualified, then you're good to go.

This is different. I'm talking about him getting his CDL. Not a job. Of course you're record will fucc you up. But do you have a bad 7 year history? That's how far they go back. Hail, the day I got hired on with Swift, I had just had my license re-instated from a 90 day suspension. So I don't know what's up with you.

dumpd, do you currently have a CDL? Later, QD.

A w/ a few endorsements...gettin Haz in a few months...

i guess if the op lands a job his mvrs not as bad as i thought...