PDA

View Full Version : Will slicks kill my LSD? .. Honda question.

SE-Rious©
02-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Ok well a friend has a civic.the car is running a
B18c swap with some motor work and some bolt-ons etc .. etc ..
the transmission he has is a
jdm YS1 b16a cable with OEM LSD.the car maybe down low 14's-high 13's ?

but the question is he wants to use slicks for the track and he is afraid of tearing up the lsd he has. ?
Last year he had the same tranny in a 90-93 integra with the same b18c and we were doing some spirited driving i did a 1-2 and the next thing we knew the tranny was gone(blown).i destroyed his LSD.
he is worried the same will happen to the LSD at the track using slicks ?
if anyone has any info please let us know.thanks

b17a1db2
02-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Hope Not. That will suck...

SE-Rious©
02-04-2008, 01:29 PM
hahahhaa yea we need answers. we cant afford trial and error for your transmission yet !

BLK JDM
02-04-2008, 01:57 PM
No. There are several members including myself that have run slicks w/ OEM LSD trannies w/ no problems. Some of them have made over 700whp and ran low 10s to high 9s on OEM LSD trannies w/ slicks. I ran my allmotor hatch at least 100 times w/ slicks and a JDM GSR tranny w/ LSD.

SE-Rious©
02-04-2008, 02:01 PM
No. There are several members including myself that have run slicks w/ OEM LSD trannies w/ no problems. Some of them have made over 700whp and ran low 10s to high 9s on OEM LSD trannies w/ slicks. I ran my allmotor hatch at least 100 times w/ slicks and a JDM GSR tranny w/ LSD.

Thanks .. something we were wanting to hear ! :goodjob:

BLK JDM
02-04-2008, 02:56 PM
I'd use a good tranny fluid that works w/ that diff. I know a lot of people use additives like Lucas. I've used GM Synchromesh Performance Friction and Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

SE-Rious©
02-04-2008, 05:03 PM
thanks,we appreciate the info.

dazn
02-04-2008, 10:06 PM
i would be more worried about axles

Tech5
02-04-2008, 10:07 PM
x2
i would be more worried about axles

SPOOLIN
02-04-2008, 10:41 PM
i dont think you have anything to worry about unless you are one of those hillbillies that can just break anything.

SE-Rious©
02-05-2008, 08:14 AM
i dont think you have anything to worry about unless you are one of those hillbillies that can just break anything.

no hillbillies here,also we can deal with snapping an axle over a diff.thats why we posted up.i know many people who have used slicks but they run b16a crx's basically stock so i know nothing can happen to those but we are pushing way more power/trq thats why we mentioned this.plus my friend never used slicks and he wanted to make sure before we drove to the track and ****ed up his tranny thats in great shape.hahahahahhahaa.

but we appreciate the help from everyone,track should be fun this weekend.

Batlground
02-05-2008, 12:19 PM
If its a Cable trans, the LSD IS NOT THE SAME AS THE ITR THAT EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT.

ITS SIGNIFICANTLY WEAKER. Ask DA_UNKNOWN , we broke his OEM LSD with 185whp.

As with any transmission part, slicks and traction WILL increase the risk of breaking things. Usually the first things to go are axles.

If he is running slicks you may want to keep the revs under 5000rpms to limit the chances of damage.

Ive seen people break ATS final drives and i personally blew up a ATS 3rd gear (supposedly indestructible).

Never say never!

B18c1Turboed
02-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Just preload the axles, and you set too go. I have made alot of passes on stock axles and i never broke one. PRE LOAD is the way to go!!!
It saves the life of tranny and axles, alot more then what u think!

SE-Rious©
02-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Just preload the axles, and you set too go. I have made alot of passes on stock axles and i never broke one. PRE LOAD is the way to go!!!
It saves the life of tranny and axles, alot more then what u think!

I appreciate the info,we already know about pre-loading etc .. we just want to make sure we keep our tranny in good shape.

Tech5
02-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Preloading does help!!!!

SE-Rious©
02-06-2008, 09:35 AM
We preload etc .. etc .. just never used slicks on oem lsd and wanted to make sure it was safe.because my friends car is also his daily driver.

matthewAPM
02-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Ok well a friend has a civic.the car is running a
B18c swap with some motor work and some bolt-ons etc .. etc ..
the transmission he has is a
jdm YS1 b16a cable with OEM LSD.the car maybe down low 14's-high 13's ?

but the question is he wants to use slicks for the track and he is afraid of tearing up the lsd he has. ?
Last year he had the same tranny in a 90-93 integra with the same b18c and we were doing some spirited driving i did a 1-2 and the next thing we knew the tranny was gone(blown).i destroyed his LSD.
he is worried the same will happen to the LSD at the track using slicks ?
if anyone has any info please let us know.thanks

all im going to say is go to OPM autosport

all-mota
02-06-2008, 08:10 PM
what kind of clutch was in your friends car when the lsd broke. i'm willing to bet that it was way more than what he needed, if not people that run sprung 6 pucks and heavy duty pressure plates with stock engines or engines with mild bolt ons are more than likely to have tranny problems. i have seen ring gears shattered from a clutch people thinks is cool because they can chirp 4th gear. as long as the clutch isn't of this nature and he does the stuff everyone else said he should be good to go.

SE-Rious©
02-06-2008, 11:27 PM
what kind of clutch was in your friends car when the lsd broke. i'm willing to bet that it was way more than what he needed, if not people that run sprung 6 pucks and heavy duty pressure plates with stock engines or engines with mild bolt ons are more than likely to have tranny problems. i have seen ring gears shattered from a clutch people thinks is cool because they can chirp 4th gear. as long as the clutch isn't of this nature and he does the stuff everyone else said he should be good to go.

just your average Exedy stage1 buddy .. .. .. .. :yes:

all-mota
02-07-2008, 07:41 AM
just your average Exedy stage1 buddy .. .. .. .. :yes:

he should be fine then.

boostedy8
02-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Whats axle preload and how do you do it?:goodjob: