PDA

View Full Version : porting equipment?

Maniac1
02-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Anyone know what kind of tools someone would need to successfully port something the right way?

I've already put a few minutes into looking for the tools but no luck! I'd also like to know if anyone knows where I can get some piping ported around the gwinnett area.

Any help would be appreciated.

Init2winit
02-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Yeah, by letting someone that knows what they're doing take care of it. There is a little more to it than smoothing out runners.

AnthonyF
02-03-2008, 09:35 AM
do it yourself. you'll never do as good of a job as a professional. I take all my stuff to DOVER.

Maniac1
02-03-2008, 09:43 AM
do it yourself. you'll never do as good of a job as a professional. I take all my stuff to DOVER.Lolol. Am I supposed to know what "dover" is? :D

Yeah, by letting someone that knows what they're doing take care of it. There is a little more to it than smoothing out runners.Im still looking into it and you're right. I was thinking of porting my intercooler, but I wouldn't even know how to begin.

AnthonyF
02-03-2008, 09:52 AM
DOVER heads. Speak to Jesse, tell him Anthony with the mustang sent you. He'll take care of you. Or u can go to Batlground or any of those guys IF they do that. i dunno if they did. I just picked up my heads from DOVER friday.

Maniac1
02-03-2008, 09:56 AM
DOVER heads. Speak to Jesse, tell him Anthony with the mustang sent you. He'll take care of you. Or u can go to Batlground or any of those guys IF they do that. i dunno if they did. I just picked up my heads from DOVER friday.Sounds good. I've been thinking on porting my header and intercooler. So once I get the cheese, I'll be hitting them up... How much they charge?

AnthonyF
02-03-2008, 09:58 AM
i dunno. ive always had to get more work to my heads than just porting. Last go around was 250 for replacing 5 valves, 3 angle valve job on those valves, crack/leak checking them and surfacing them. I believe they cleaned my ports up a little more. But i already had a ported head.

Maniac1
02-03-2008, 10:00 AM
If they charged you 250 for all that, im sure it can't be that much...

hmmm cool, thanks Ant.

blackshine007
02-03-2008, 10:20 AM
DOVER heads. Speak to Jesse, tell him Anthony with the mustang sent you. He'll take care of you. Or u can go to Batlground or any of those guys IF they do that. i dunno if they did. I just picked up my heads from DOVER friday.

Dover messed up my buddie's heads from a valve job that wasn't done propeprly and then they wouldn't cover it. He had to buy a brand new head and shipped it to Walker performance and did some damn good work. Dover is good for a head resurface, but that's all I'm willing to trust them with.

Big Baller
02-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Porting your intercooler...Man you are a ****ing idiot

Batlground
02-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Walker Machine motors too tight for some friends of mine and their turbo motors popped because of it. so i woudlnt go there either.

Alex, your wanting to port your turbo manifold on the WRX its going to be $$$$$$$. you can port MATCH it, but porting the whole thing is hours and hours of work.

You are better off just buying an aftermarket manifold

what do you mean by porting the intercooler, that doesnt make any sense to me

Maniac1
02-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Porting your intercooler...Man you are a ****ing idiotLOL im not going front mount anytime soon. So my STI top mount is gonna have to do, plus I've seen many STI owners do it and have read that helps, not alot but any little help will do. Since you know so much, anything wrong with doing that, sh!t stain?

Maniac1
02-03-2008, 10:38 AM
what do you mean by porting the intercooler, that doesnt make any sense to mePorting the y-pipe on the intercooler.

Maniac1
02-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Walker Machine motors too tight for some friends of mine and their turbo motors popped because of it. so i woudlnt go there either.

Alex, your wanting to port your turbo manifold on the WRX its going to be $$$$$$$. you can port MATCH it, but porting the whole thing is hours and hours of work.

You are better off just buying an aftermarket manifoldHmm "$$$" huh? Thats not good, lol im not really in a position to wash heavy bills, yet! :D

calmnothing
02-03-2008, 11:48 AM
You're better off with the eBay top mount. It'll yield you better results with less hassle. But you're still going to need to get tuned, so that's more $$$

AnthonyF
02-03-2008, 12:46 PM
^hes better of with a front mount.

jadakid88
02-04-2008, 07:44 PM
they use a die grinder

mushroom_toy
02-04-2008, 09:31 PM
**** man I would do it by myself. Just read up on the internet, there are tons of self porting tutorials. I would use a dremel tool though, a little less powerfull, so in thats case you shouldnt be able to damage anything too badly even if you mess up.

RandomGuy
02-04-2008, 11:58 PM
yes harbor freight die grinder set

get some carbide tips from a metal shop and baam you're in business...

its a lot of hard, tedious, work, but oh yeah you're mexican

blahahahahah JK :)

I got my head from dover as well (2 years ago) Good place. Decently priced.

Maniac1
02-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I appreciate the help guys.

southside
02-10-2008, 07:16 AM
do it yourself. you'll never do as good of a job as a professional. I take all my stuff to DOVER.Dover ftw they do pretty good jobs