PDA

View Full Version : somebody argue this with me

Alan®
02-02-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm writting a paper on U.S. foreign policy and we have to write it in the clasical sense of argument whic means i have to look at my opponents points of view and I'm having a hard time putting my self on the other side of the fence so help me out. This paper is by no means perfect and i havent added my citations and stuff but here it is.

September 11th, 2001 is a day that will probably be remembered by everyone around the world even after my generation is gone. It was a day that people around the world sat crowded around televisions, in their homes, restaurants, bars, and offices and watched as the symbol for American economic prosperity came crashing down as the result of radical Islamic militants hijacking four planes crashing two of them into the world trade center, one into the pentagon, and one in a field in Pennsylvania after citizens of this great nation gave the ultimate sacrifice to protect whatever was the next target. It seemed as if the world was waiting on edge for what the U.S. The U.S. government had to come together and form a plan to combat these radicals in order to protect our national security. To President Bush that plan seemed clear. In a Press Conference he said “You are either with us or against us in the war on terror”. This statement forced many countries to take a side whether they wanted to or not for fear of what would happen if they didn’t. Almost simultaneously the largest reconfiguration with in the government took place resulting in the creation of the Department of Homeland Security. At this point in time the President’s approval rating was at 82% with only 7% of the country disapproving of the course of action the president had chosen to take.

Foreign Policy in the general sense of the phrase is a set of guidelines as to how one country will interact with others. Around the world most foreign policy guidelines and decisions are made by the heads of state much in the same way as it is here in the U.S. The Constitution of this country states in Article 2 Section 2 “The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, He shall have Power…to make Treaties, and he shall nominate…Ambassadors”. Section 3 of Article 2 also states that the President “shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers”.

In response to the attacks on September 11th, on October 7th, 2001 Operation Enduring Freedom commenced which began with airstrikes on key fortifications and strongholds known to be occupied by Al Qaeda which was then supplemented by ground forces supplied by Afghanistan. After the first few cooperative campaigns between the U.K., the U.S. and Afghanistan, NATO began supplying troops. The ultimate goal of the early attacks was to liberate Afghanistan from the control of Al Qaeda and to find and capture as many high level operatives including Osama Bin Laden himself. It took approximately one month to reach Kabul and force out Al Qaeda. From this point on Coalition forces had the Taliban on the run and in hiding. The Taliban did try to make one last ditch effort in 2002 under the leadership of Mullah Saifur Rehman. He gathered a few thousand men and began using guerilla warfare tactics to attack Coalition troops but the attacks failed forcing them to find refuge in Pakistan.During the two years between Operation Enduring Freedom and the invasion of Iraq only 21 military members were lost to hostile action. Over the past few years members of the Taliban have begun to come back over the border to make small attacks on coalition forces.

In 2002 during President’s Bush’s State of the Union Speech, he names “North Korea, Iraq and Iran” as the “Axis of Evil”. Over the course of the next year both the U.S. and U.K. work with the U.N. to increase sanctions and inspections of Iraq’s Nuclear and Biological development suspecting that they are creating Weapons of Mass Destruction. During the course of the year, the United Nations sends in inspectors and Iraq submits a 12,000 page document detailing their inventory and research of biological and nuclear materials stating that they in fact do not have Weapons of Mass Destruction. However at the beginning of 2003 U.N. inspectors find 11 undeclared war heads thus fueling the fire that the U.S. and U.K. had started. On March 17th, 2003 President Bush issues a statement to Saddam Hussein giving him 48 hours to leave Iraq. Hussein refuses leaving the President with no choice but to declare war on the 19th thus starting Operation Iraqi Freedom. In just under a month Baghdad is seized by U.S. troops. Since that time, Coalition forces have been working with Iraq to establish a government and army capable of supporting the country without any help from the U.S. while also trying to put down rebel attacks inside the country.

The U.S. needs to change its foreign policy for many reason one of which being that we have a tendency to make enemies as we “fight for the greater good”. Case in point, Osama Bin Laden and the Attacks on 9/11. Osama Bin Laden’s hatred for the U.S. did not come overnight however; it did begin over 20 years ago during the Invasion of Afghanistan by Russia during the Cold War. On July 3rd, 1979 President Carter signed an order to secretly aid the Afghanistan Rebel’s to push out the Russian’s. In an interview ten years ago the then head of the CIA was asked if he regretted supporting Islamic Radicalists to which he responded “What is most important to the history of the world? The Taliban or the collapse of the Soviet empire? Some stirred-up Moslems or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the cold war?” It is during this time that he founded Al Qaeda and began setting up training camps in Afghanistan which resulted in the recruitment and training of 5,000 members creating cells in 50 countries across the globe. At the end of the Soviet invasion he moved back to Saudi Arabia to join his family and their construction company. His stay there however did not last long due largely in part of the fact that the 1993 bombings of the World Trade Center buildings were linked to Al Qaeda. The link resulted in the loss of his citizenship in that country and being disowned by his own family. Al Qaeda over this time grew in numbers and strength and the attacks became worse. His new strength came from new relationships with a Lebanese terrorist who was wanted for kidnappings named Imad Mugniyah, and an Egyptian named Ayman Zawahiri. By 1998 he had been linked to several embassy bombings in Africa and finally the precursor to 9/11 the attacks on the U.S.S. Cole.

Another reason for the changing of our foreign policy is the financial results and the loss of life in the wars that we get ourselves involved in. The War on Terror, Operation Enduring Freedom and other global anti-terrorist efforts being led and paid for by the U.S. Government have so far cost a total of $804.2 billion dollars according to a research conducted by Amy Belasco of the Congressional Research Service. In addition to this figure current estimate based on two scenarios of troop numbers in Iraq. The first scenario is based on having the number of troops cut to 30,000 by 2010. Based on this scenario, the global war on terror will cost an additional $570 billion dollars. The second scenario is based on a much larger 75,000 troops in Iraq. This scenario predicts an estimated $1.05 trillion dollars. Secondly the loss of life during the course of the war while not nearly as comparable to that of the Cold War is still considerable. From 2002-2006 a total of 2,539 American troops were lost to hostile action.

The final reason for not getting ourselves involved in wars like this is the shear amount of time it takes for us to be able to have complete troop withdrawals. In 2005 Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld made a prediction that we would be in Iraq until 2017. According to wagingpeace.org this was an optimistic estimate not only due to trying to control the oil in the region but also the water. Water in the Middle East is a large issue. Additionally the Iraq Defense minister in a statement made public by the New York Times said that the country would not be able to completely take over to defend its self domestically or internationally until at least 2018 and even that according to officials in Washington and Baghdad say that it will probably be longer than that. In addition to that the defense minister believes it will take another three years before they can take control of their own internal affairs. The article did seem to offer hope as the press secretary for the pentagon said “we are transitioning from crisis mode, from dealing with day to day battlefield decisions, to a long term strategic relationship.

Leadfoot_mf
02-02-2008, 04:28 PM
holy ****ing 1 paragraph fix that ****.

Alan®
02-02-2008, 04:29 PM
holy ****ing 1 paragraph fix that ****.
nah its broken up but when i copied and pasted it it came out like that I'll fix it for ya real quick.

Alan®
02-02-2008, 04:30 PM
fixed for ya

KPowerEP3
02-02-2008, 04:57 PM
oh yeah 'within'...one word. I'm sure you know this, just pointing it out.
Also, when the military campaign started, it was Iraqi Freedom, then renamed Enduring Freedom.

Slow Motion
02-02-2008, 05:04 PM
What exactly is suppose to be argued and what is your view...or is this your view.

Alan®
02-02-2008, 05:06 PM
What exactly is suppose to be argued and what is your view...or is this your view.
this is the view that I took up on the paper I agree with some of it but I just need someone to argue against what i wrote.

Alan®
02-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Also, when the military campaign started, it was Iraqi Freedom, then renamed Enduring Freedom.
yea I know I haven't started actually editing it yet I haven't even run spell check just tyring to get stuff down on paper so to speak

tony
02-02-2008, 05:08 PM
This is strictly for arguments sake?

Slow Motion
02-02-2008, 05:09 PM
ok so in a nut shell what is your view...i read it but i need to know just so i can start to come up with an opposing view and start bashing your view, besides the fact that "i agree with the war type argument" cause i agree with what you wrote...so in a nutshell.

1000cckiller
02-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Also, when the military campaign started, it was Iraqi Freedom, then renamed Enduring Freedom.it been changed at least five times.

Alan®
02-02-2008, 05:30 PM
This is strictly for arguments sake?
yes strickly for argumentation

Alan®
02-02-2008, 05:32 PM
ok so in a nut shell what is your view...i read it but i need to know just so i can start to come up with an opposing view and start bashing your view, besides the fact that "i agree with the war type argument" cause i agree with what you wrote...so in a nutshell.
ok in a nutshel..........basically that we need to get back to the foreign policy of FDR pre WWII that we will be neutral and not take direct action or get involved in other countries problems. Reasons for:we tend to make enemies in the process for fighting for "the greater good", cost, lives lost, amount of time we end up spending on these things.

Slow Motion
02-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Why go back if we don't get involved in some of the things that are going on we could be setting ourselves up for another attack like 9/11. And how would going back be benificial to us?

RandomGuy
02-02-2008, 05:33 PM

Slow Motion
02-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Read other comment also^^^And sometimes it cost money and time and lives to protect our freedoms.

AnthonyF
02-02-2008, 05:45 PM
why do all your posts consist of a fukin novel? i dont have the attention span to read that much.

Slow Motion
02-02-2008, 05:47 PM
why do all your posts consist of a fukin novel? i dont have the attention span to read that much.

I feel ya ,and i'm tryin to argue but no response.....damn. My attention span isn't that well either

Rican219
02-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Summed up for you

WHITEPOWER http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjPHMLgEM9M
http://www.nsm88.org/merchandise/shirts/white-power-flames.jpg

tony
02-02-2008, 05:59 PM
ok in a nutshel..........basically that we need to get back to the foreign policy of FDR pre WWII that we will be neutral and not take direct action or get involved in other countries problems. Reasons for:we tend to make enemies in the process for fighting for "the greater good", cost, lives lost, amount of time we end up spending on these things.

What about those Iraqi people that we have liberated from a dictatorship? Some may not like it but those individuals cannot be discounted. True there has been sacrifice in the process but every war does. We have now created an ally in the unstable middle east, where there is a possibility of nuclear weapons being developed by countries that would like to carry out terroristic attacks like 9/11.

BuBBa DRiFT
02-02-2008, 06:58 PM
did MLA start allowing first person to be used?

Alan®
02-02-2008, 07:19 PM
did MLA start allowing first person to be used?
this is a college paper not high school

Alan®
02-02-2008, 07:20 PM
What about those Iraqi people that we have liberated from a dictatorship? Some may not like it but those individuals cannot be discounted. True there has been sacrifice in the process but every war does. We have now created an ally in the unstable middle east, where there is a possibility of nuclear weapons being developed by countries that would like to carry out terroristic attacks like 9/11.
pretty good

Alan®
02-02-2008, 07:21 PM
idk. sorry

BuBBa DRiFT
02-02-2008, 07:41 PM
this is a college paper not high school

oh im sorry, i forgot MLA only did highschool, cause you know MODERN LANGUAGE ASSOCIATION FOR HIGHSCHOOLS was just too long of an acronym.

its all so clear now.

SicStang03
02-02-2008, 07:41 PM

LOL.. I read the title and the inro.. Now I will bookmark the post in case I need a peper:yes:

AnthonyF
02-02-2008, 07:49 PM
idk. sorryi forgive u this time.

LOL.. I read the title and the inro.. Now I will bookmark the post in case I need a peper:yes:lol. i tend to do that a lot in his threads.

Alan®
02-02-2008, 07:49 PM
oh im sorry, i forgot MLA only did highschool, cause you know MODERN LANGUAGE ASSOCIATION FOR HIGHSCHOOLS was just too long of an acronym.

its all so clear now.
I didn't mean for it to come off as a smart remark. The paper itself is in MLA format yes but, so far all my college papers have bent those rules or broken them but as far as basic format kept it

Alan®
02-02-2008, 07:50 PM
lol. i tend to do that a lot in his threads.
:2up: lol let me know when you decide you can part that intercooler out man

BuBBa DRiFT
02-02-2008, 07:57 PM
oh ok, my fault, you eclipse kids get a little edgy when 240s beat you, i thought maybe some of that anger was venting

Alan®
02-02-2008, 07:58 PM
oh ok, my fault, you eclipse kids get a little edgy when 240s beat you, i thought maybe some of that anger was venting
:lmfao: :lmfao: :goodjob: its all good man. I haven't raced anyone with this car nor do I plan to. Till I get my headers,IM,TB,drs,and a tune

AnthonyF
02-02-2008, 07:59 PM
thats irrelevant to this topic.

BuBBa DRiFT
02-02-2008, 08:01 PM
you're irrelevant to this topic

AnthonyF
02-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Do you feel better or "cooler" about yourself when you post stupid sh*t? seriously, why post if you have nothing to say thats of importance?

Alan®
02-02-2008, 08:04 PM
thats irrelevant to this topic.
OOOOOOOOOOOOo

BuBBa DRiFT
02-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Do you feel better or "cooler" about yourself when you stupid sh*t? seriously, why post if you have nothing to say thats of importance?

when i stupid sh*t..the only one who is "shatting" stupid is you, for taking my comments serious. You entering a formal and logical debate thread is out of place for you, so i should be asking you the same thing.

Alan®
02-02-2008, 08:09 PM
ok back on topic

AnthonyF
02-02-2008, 08:09 PM
when i stupid sh*t..the only one who is "shatting" stupid is you, for taking my comments serious. You entering a formal and logical debate thread is out of place for you, so i should be asking you the same thing.damn u quoting me b4 i fixed. why is it out of place? Do you know me? Why should u be asking me anything? You know nothing about me.

BuBBa DRiFT
02-02-2008, 08:14 PM
you are the one harassing me, i didnt have **** to do with you until you started talking like your the big cheese over the whoreslounge lol, dont insult me with your generic and lame attempt at insults, and i wont waste my time emphasizing your poor grammar.

AnthonyF
02-02-2008, 08:19 PM
you are the one harassing me, i didnt have **** to do with you until you started talking like your the big cheese over the whoreslounge lol, dont insult me with your generic and lame attempt at insults, and i wont waste my time emphasizing your poor grammar.when did i insult you? "big cheese?" wtf? Be the 1 thousandth person on IA to judge some1 and call some1 out on grammer, b/c we all know the grammer on the internet affects us in real life. lol

BuBBa DRiFT
02-02-2008, 10:06 PM
im gonna be the bigger man and call you weiner and be done with this whole thing

thanks for the reps weiner

AnthonyF
02-02-2008, 10:14 PM
lolol @ weiner

Vayda
02-02-2008, 10:20 PM
I'd like to argue with you but I can't get past the grammar.

Sue me, I'm an honest-to-god English major.

Anyway can I proofread this for you? In the first paragraph I caught first person, misuse of commas, a sentence fragment that ended without punctuation (or a run on sentence, I can't make it out) and passive voice. It hurt my brain too much so I quit there.

Alan®
02-02-2008, 10:35 PM
I'd like to argue with you but I can't get past the grammar.

Sue me, I'm an honest-to-god English major.

Anyway can I proofread this for you? In the first paragraph I caught first person, misuse of commas, a sentence fragment that ended without punctuation (or a run on sentence, I can't make it out) and passive voice. It hurt my brain too much so I quit there.
sorry i'll run it through spell check real quick if you want but first person stays

Alan®
02-02-2008, 10:40 PM
updated first post after spell check

Vayda
02-02-2008, 10:43 PM
But teh grammer!! ZOMG. RUN ON SENTENCES MAKE BABY JESUS CRY!!!!!

Alan®
02-02-2008, 10:44 PM
But teh grammer!! ZOMG. RUN ON SENTENCES MAKE BABY JESUS CRY!!!!!
im not going to seriously toy with it till next weekend sorry can't make everyone happy

Vayda
02-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Well let me know when you want the grammar corrected.

Seriously. I do this for a living.

Alan®
02-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Well let me know when you want the grammar corrected.

Seriously. I do this for a living.
hey man if you want to please by all means be my guess. anything to help boost my grade.

0p7!mu5
02-02-2008, 11:30 PM
my opinion...ask a republican....:goodjob: I agree with you too much to make a decent arguement

The Ninja
02-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Dude....write me a paper about college life pertaining to one or a few experiences and about how it differs from what you thought it would be. i'll paypal you $5...oh yea its due tomorrow.

Alan®
02-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Dude....write me a paper about college life pertaining to one or a few experiences and about how it differs from what you thought it would be. i'll paypal you $5...oh yea its due tomorrow.
I wouldn't do it for anything less than 15 and its Super Bowl Sunday. Had you asked me yesterday I probably would have done it.