PDA

View Full Version : Misc Top Ten Most Popular Majors

C22H19N3O4
08-06-2005, 11:36 AM
This is according to the Princeton Review.

1) Business Administration and Management. Saving up your allowance instead of blowing it each week. Starting your own lawn-mowing business when you were still in grade school. They always said you had a mind for business, and now you're ready to prove it. Business majors often find success in the field of their choice, working their way up the ladder to become managers, executives, and vice presidents in their companies. This major offers focused training in accounting, finance, marketing, economics, human resources, and decision making. You'll learn to budget, organize, plan, hire, direct, control, and manage an organization. And you'll find even more chances for career growth if you go on to earn your MBA.

2) Psychology. Psychology is the study of the way humans and animals interact and respond to their environment; in essence, it's the study of behavior and the thoughts behind it. Cool thing about this major: analyzing your friends and family. Not so cool thing: you almost have to go to grad school to do anything at all related to this line of work. Which is perfectly fine, if you understand and commit to that path from the get-go. Just don't expect that four years of college will get you a private practice where people lie on a couch and tell you their troubles for $95/hour. You'll need an extra five to seven years of schooling and a Ph.D. or Psy.D. before that will happen.

3) Elementary Education. From tracing a little hand on colored paper to make a Thanksgiving turkey to taking a field trip to the local science center with your fourth-graders to learn about static electricity, you are excited about working in a grade school and shaping young minds before they develop the attitude. In the early grades, you are responsible for giving instruction in all the basic subjects (reading, writing, 'rithmetic—plus science, social studies, and the basics of health and physical education), as well as overseeing the general development of each of your charges. Some college programs offer (or require) an area of specialization, such as early childhood, language arts, or mathematics. When your academic work is complete, you move into the classroom for the trial-by-fire known as student teaching. This practicum lasts from one semester to a full academic year. When you successfully complete the elementary education program, you'll have to take any certification examinations required by the state in which you want to work. Then, it's into the classroom to mold the minds of our youth.
4) Biology. Biology majors focus on the living world—that's everything from single-cell bacteria to whales. You may take classes in which you learn about calculus, microbiology, cell biology, genetics, evolution, physics, and organic chemistry. In addition to being a stepping stone for med school, a biology major can lead to a job in a growing field such as genetics, biotechnology, or medical research. Veterinarians, optometrists, ecologists, biochemists, and environmentalists all may have majored in biology.

5) Nursing. Everyone knows it takes a special kind of compassionate individual to become a nurse, a profession that often includes playing the roles of comforter, educator, mediator, listener, problem-solver and therapist. Generally, nurses help people meet basic health needs, adapt to physical changes, recover from illness, and die with dignity. They are employed in clinics, hospitals, schools, corporations, the military, and in private practice. We need nurses now more than ever, and job prospects in this field are bright. If you major in nursing, you'll take traditional science and liberal arts courses as a first-year student and probably begin clinical rotations at hospitals and other health care facilities during the second semester of your sophomore year. While in school, you'll receive lots of practical, hands-on training. All would-be nurses are required by law to take and pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) after graduating from an accredited nursing program before they can be considered "registered."

6) Education. "Summers off" is hopefully not the main reason you'd like to become a teacher. Many teachers actually spend their summers at a second, seasonal job (like at a children's camp) to supplement their income, volunteering or doing some form of community service work, or working hard on next year's lessons plans. That said, lots of teachers wouldn't dream of doing anything else. Although much of your coursework will be general education material, most states require you to choose a specific grade level you'd like to teach. Choices usually include some variation of early childhood education (preschool), primary education (kindergarten through eighth grade, see #3 above), and secondary education (ninth through twelfth grade). Some education majors choose to specialize in special education. Your student teaching experience, in which you spend a semester or more in gaining practical experience in a classroom, will be in the field of your choice. Education majors may also go on to become guidance counselors, school administrators, and the like.

7) English. You'll find English majors in countless types of jobs. Many of them are communications-based careers as you'd expect—author, reporter, journalist, editor, radio broadcaster, advertising and public relations executives—but plenty of them aren't that obvious. English majors also become teachers, lawyers (after law school, of course), film directors, politicians, actors, you name it. English majors become well-rounded, well-read individuals who have studied life in words across the globe. Be prepared to read, think, write, discuss, and then read a whole lot more.

8) Communications. A graduation speech, an infomercial, a protest in the park: any of these are great material for a communications major who needs to write a paper. In this program, students learn how certain messages influence individual and group behavior, as well as how our reactions reflect the underlying values of society. You'll spend a significant amount of time studying different kinds of speaking and writing and the strategies people use to make their points and drive them home. You'll take a look at verbal and nonverbal messages, audience reaction, and the varied effects of different communication environments. Communication theory will play a part too, as you delve into monumental speeches, revolutionary political campaigns, radical social movements, and the trends in news reporting. With your degree, you may choose to pursue a career in business, public relations, advertising, human resources, government, education, media, or social services.

9) Computer Science. Your friends are always coming to you for help when they experience computer problems, and you know it's high time you got paid for your efforts. Solution: obtain a degree in computer science. In this program, you'll focus on how computer technology can be applied to any number of fields. Included will be classes on how to develop business applications and perform system analysis and the process of developing software (from designing to programming to testing). Programs may also include instruction in robotics, natural language recognition programs, artificial intelligence, programming languages, and numerical analysis. The knowledge you gain from a Computer Science major is absolutely applicable to the real world, and to real jobs within it.

10) Political Science. This major breaks down everything from political parties to voting behavior to public policy to revolutions all across the world. It's a pretty broad subject involving heavy doses of reading, writing, and statistical analysis. Many schools will want you to choose a concentration. Post-graduation options include: politics (running as a candidate or running a candidate's campaign), journalist, diplomat, lobbyist, and, of course, law school.

Darling Nikki
08-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Sweet I am majoring in the first one of the top ten...go me!!

Hulud
08-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Sweet I am majoring in the first one of the top ten...go me!!
only downside to that is there will be way too many people looking for the same jobs

Eli
08-06-2005, 06:21 PM
only downside to that is there will be way too many people looking for the same jobs

Yeah thats what I was thinking, as I am a General Business Administration major... hahahahaha

C22H19N3O4
08-07-2005, 05:39 AM
Many Grads with that degree don't have a job in hand coming out of their last year. I guess some are happy working in HR with that degree. IMO, working towards a MBA is logical.

CiVeK9
08-07-2005, 01:25 PM
hell yea i got the #1 major!!!

TheeYo
08-08-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm #8!!!

Jaimecbr900
08-09-2005, 12:29 PM

That major is a generalized major. In other words, it can be used in a ton of different jobs. You could use it to be the manager at a grocery store or a manager at a pharmacy. So that's actually a pretty smart major to have considering it's wide variety of uses compared to a specialized major.

BTW, an MBA may be very nice to have on your resume, but it will be very unlikely the key to a job. Many jobs that REQUIRE an MBA also require X amount of experience too. There aren't too many companies looking to hire a rookie that merely has a "degree" just for that "degree". Yes, high dollar positions sometimes require a certain degree for consideration, but that's rarely the ONLY consideration too.

IMO a generalized 4 yr degree will be the most usable IF you don't have a specific career path chosen because it's the most flexible major.

The smartest thing to do is to chose a major that will compliment your career choice. So picking a career choice FIRST and then picking a major is the way to go IMO. :goodjob:

C22H19N3O4
08-09-2005, 02:30 PM
First of all, if someone is attending school for 4 years to obtain a "general" degree, then he/she need to be caned. Generality in regards to education, gets very little pay, hence the reason I mentioned HR. BTW, more firms would rather give a grad with a MBA a chance than a schmuck with a just a BA degree. A lone Business Degree doesn't set you apart from the crowd. How can you advise someone to choose a career before they select a major? Most incoming freshman dont' even know what they want for lunch let alone their career choice. That's the reason they have 2 years to think about it while taking their core classes. After, that...the pressure is on.

technoteg97
08-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Nursing/Medical jobs will always be needed..everywhere.

C22H19N3O4
08-09-2005, 02:41 PM

Uh....ok? I think most people are aware of the need for qualified medical personnel.

Jaimecbr900
08-09-2005, 04:52 PM
First of all, if someone is attending school for 4 years to obtain a "general" degree, then he/she need to be caned.

Really? Why? Because they chose a course of study which is far more versitale and flexible than a fancy specialized one??? :confused:

Generality in regards to education, gets very little pay, hence the reason I mentioned HR. BTW, more firms would rather give a grad with a MBA a chance than a schmuck with a just a BA degree.

Really? How many people have YOU hired for a job? Then how would YOU know what employers are looking for and aren't?

I'll tell you from experience of hiring more than 50 different employees that what I look for has very little to do with book knowledge and a whole lot to do with experience. You can't be taught experience. Education gets your foot in the door to get that experience, but once you have the experience it trumps "degrees" everytime. So don't talk down to anyone with a degree that you deem lesser than yours. Someday you may have to call that person "sir or boss"..... :rolleyes:

How can you advise someone to choose a career before they select a major? Most incoming freshman dont' even know what they want for lunch let alone their career choice. That's the reason they have 2 years to think about it while taking their core classes. After, that...the pressure is on.

That's why most college students waste their time chasing false hope and non-existent jobs, because they think they have all the time in the world to decide which way to go. If you don't have an idea of what you want to do AFTER college, then why go??? Because you "think" it's gonna help you???? Because your momma wanted you to???? Don't you think it would be smarter for you to have some kind of idea of where you wanted to be after 4 yrs of work and studies rather than floudering around and taking classes just to take classes just to say you're going to school??? Why not have a career in mind, find out what course of study THAT requires, and simply take that path???? What's so difficult about that? Not everyone is going to be an engineer with a big firm building skyscrappers in New York. Not everyone wants to be a doctor or nurse. Some people want to have a general degree that is able to work for them in a variety of different positions in some type of field. Why should they waste their time and money on getting an "engineering" degree when a BA would suffice????? What good is an "engineering" degree to a Bank President or a Web designer????

Jaimecbr900
08-09-2005, 05:09 PM

You're right, those are great career choices for SOME people.

What happens to people that either don't have the stomach for the job nor the patience to stick with it? Does that mean they won't ever make any money with a BA then?

A degree is only as good as the person that got it. The degree alone guarantees noone anything. Some of the most successful people in the world never graduated from college. How's that happen if you HAVE TO have a degree????

Don't get me wrong. A degree in the medical field is spectacular. It does open up a ton of doors that people w/o that degree can't open. It is also a very high demand field. But make no mistake about it, it's not a field for everyone. It is very demanding and very hard to get to a position where you the one calling the shots. Medical residencies are a bear to get thru. They are no joke. Working 24 hrs on, 24 hrs off is a bitch. They get paid good money for that, but I personally KNOW several people in the medical field that envy having weekends off and sleep. ;)

Is it worth it? For a lot of people, yes. It's a great career. For most people it isn't. That's why I keep trying to get you young guys to see that in order to achieve success you need to plan ahead and not waste the only commodity you can NEVER replenish....time. I've seen way too many people spend 4, 6, even 8 yrs "studying" only to not ever use that degree they worked so hard for. That my friends is a waste of time and effort. This is why everyone should use their heads instead of their greed to make decisions. Hell, everyone would love to make a surgeons salary, but not everyone is willing to do the work it takes to get there. So why kid yourself? If you're not ready or are not wanting to or are not apt to a certain career, then why spend 4 yrs to get a "degree" in it?????

Again, your "degree" is only as good as the JOB it gets you. "Degrees" cost money, they don't PAY money. A J-O-B gets you money. If a "degree" doesn't get you a J-O-B, it is worthless.

C22H19N3O4
08-09-2005, 10:38 PM
I'll tell you from experience of hiring more than 50 different employees that what I look for has very little to do with book knowledge and a whole lot to do with experience. You can't be taught experience. Education gets your foot in the door to get that experience, but once you have the experience it trumps "degrees" everytime. So don't talk down to anyone with a degree that you deem lesser than yours. Someday you may have to call that person "sir or boss"
You'll have to excuse me if I'm not in awe of your vast hiring experience. Hiring 50 people does not make you a career advisor. Again, I find it amusing that you're giving "advice" solely based on your limited knowledge. Are you recruiting CEOs? Perhaps a few CFO's? Apparently, you want to generalize about what you perceive to be true when it comes to a college degree.

Really? Why? Because they chose a course of study which is far more versitale and flexible than a fancy specialized one???

You call it versatility, I call it a cop out. That's why the market is over saturated with lone Business degrees and people willing to work for under $30k a year. Perhaps I view things differently since I know what I want as a career and always have. I'm sure you do understand that many career choices REQUIRE specialized degrees and licensing, therefore better compensation. Let me know if you can find a Pharmacist with just a BS...lol.
Just out of curiosity...are you one of those old timers that thinks "fancy book learnin" isn't necessary? No matter how much experience you have, in an ideal coporate environment ( I don't know where you work) degrees will get your foot in the door. Perhaps we are viewing things at diff levels or perhaps you have lower standards. JP Morgan is not going to care you managed a Wendy's or have the real life experience you wholeheartedly advocate. They want to know what you graduated with and the school you attended. But again, a specialized Business degree requires at least a semester of internship, so getting hired on somewhere after that should not be an issue. In the long run, a degree and experience will get you further.

Jaimecbr900
08-10-2005, 01:09 PM
You'll have to excuse me if I'm not in awe of your vast hiring experience.

If your opinion of me mattered I'd be hurt.

Hiring 50 people does not make you a career advisor. Again, I find it amusing that you're giving "advice" solely based on your limited knowledge. Are you recruiting CEOs? Perhaps a few CFO's?

#1 that's 50 more people than YOU've ever hired. #2 What should be amuzing to you is how a snot nosed kid like yourself would remotely think that if MY knowledge is "limited"......what do you call yours???? Non-existent???? Yet, you want to talk down to me about a degree you DON'T even have yet, a career that hasn't even started, and money you THINK is guaranteed.

Unlike you pal, I've BEEN to college, I've GRADUATED college, I've been in the job market longer than you've been alive probably, I've interviewed for a number of professional positions, I've been everything from the peon to management, I own my own company, AND I do KNOW exactly what to look for in prospects for employment because that IS one MY duties as a business owner. So you see my arrogant young friend, I don't give one single rat's ass if you want to listen to what I'm saying or not. MY life is already made, so you listening or not to my advice will not change that or make me lose a wink of sleep. YOU on the other hand are still wet behind the ears and if you continue to chase dollars that may not exist instead of sense, you'll remain wet behind the ears the rest of your life. Wanna bet?

Perhaps I view things differently since I know what I want as a career and always have.

Perhaps. Although I've asked for you to disclose those grandious plans of yours to see if you are being realistic or not and for some reason you've decided not to. Once again; why don't you just tell us what your MAJOR is and what JOB it is that is GUARANTEED to you upon your graduation that will net you all this money you're seeking?????? Remember, a J-O-B is the only thing that will net you $. Words on a piece of paper are meaningless w/o one. Agree or disagree?

I'm sure you do understand that many career choices REQUIRE specialized degrees and licensing, therefore better compensation. Let me know if you can find a Pharmacist with just a BS...lol.

To be honest, if this question is a sign of your student skills as a READER......college may not be for you sir.....I've said that and even used Pharmacists as an example myself since one of my first posts on this subject. So to answer your inquiry, yes I do understand that SOME career choices REQUIRE a specialized degree. I do. I said it already like 10 times. I've also said that if your career choice DOES NOT fall into those few specialized only fields for what you want to do AFTER graduation, then it would silly to chose a specialized field in the first place simply because you read somewhere that "it made money". Got it now or are you gonna keep arguing with me about that??? :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity...are you one of those old timers that thinks "fancy book learnin" isn't necessary?

No, but at the same time I'm not dumb enough to fantasize that all I need to "learn" comes from a book either. And I also KNOW that there are far more things that you learn that are NOT taught in school too.

No matter how much experience you have, in an ideal coporate environment ( I don't know where you work) degrees will get your foot in the door.

Again, your reading skills are a bit lack luster since I said that already. BTW, your statement should read, ".....degrees will get your foot in the door TOO ". There are far more positions for people with a degree AND experience than there are for people with merely a degree. That's what I've been saying all along and you want to fight me tooth and nail for it.

Perhaps we are viewing things at diff levels or perhaps you have lower standards. JP Morgan is not going to care you managed a Wendy's or have the real life experience you wholeheartedly advocate. They want to know what you graduated with and the school you attended.

Or perhaps your smugness clouds your judgement?

JP Morgan may not care about a former Wendy's manager, but do you honestly think that YOU and ONLY you are the one's bidding for that JP Morgan job????? Something you keep failing to acknowledge is that YOU are NOT going to be the ONLY one bidding for that JP Morgan job sir. YOU are only 1 of many my man. And I'm telling YOU that when you are bidding for a job a "degree" is ONLY 1 of many factors used when considering someone for a position. IF it's the ONLY thing you have, you WILL rank near the bottom of the totem pole IF other applicants have ANY degree AND experience. So in other words, there are quite a few times where ANY degree is perfectly fine but NO experience isn't. So when you are going against someone that has a degree that YOU deem "lesser" or as you call it...."a cop out"....BUT they have more experience than YOU......you'll call that person sir or boss soon enough my friend. That's LIFE. That is REALITY. YOU don't want to believe it, good for you. One day you'll find out the hard way then.

BTW, did you even consider that most high end professional jobs aren't simply posted in the Sunday paper? Did you consider the fact that most high end positions are promoted from WITHIN or RECRUITED??? Do you think that all those high end offers are gonna magically gonna pour in when you get to turn your tassel from the left to the right???? So once again, like I've said a gazillion times, EXPERIENCE will trump a degree when the degree is the ONLY thing you have.

In the long run, a degree and experience will get you further.

The absolute most intelligent thing you've said EVER. Too bad I've said like a hundred times already. But I'm glad you're now arguing the case for the prosecution rather than the defense...... ;)

C22H19N3O4
08-10-2005, 01:43 PM
LoL...like I said, we'll just agree to disagree. IMO, you have limited knowledge concerning any other field. I actually don't read you entire posts b/c it's repetitive. Once you hold a prestigious position in a major corporation, then I'll read your tidbits of wisdom. Well, that might not be the truth...LoL. Thanks for the info.

Jaimecbr900
08-10-2005, 08:43 PM
LoL...like I said, we'll just agree to disagree. IMO, you have limited knowledge concerning any other field. I actually don't read you entire posts b/c it's repetitive. Once you hold a prestigious position in a major corporation, then I'll read your tidbits of wisdom. Well, that might not be the truth...LoL. Thanks for the info.

Didn't you say the EXACT same thing in the other thread too..... :confused:

Repetitive who????? :jerkit:

ruah_23
08-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Perhaps. Although I've asked for you to disclose those grandious plans of yours to see if you are being realistic or not and for some reason you've decided not to. Once again; why don't you just tell us what your MAJOR is and what JOB it is that is GUARANTEED to you upon your graduation that will net you all this money you're seeking?????? Remember, a J-O-B is the only

He's doing his Pharmacy degree Jamie.It's one of the specialized degree that's why he doesn't understand ur concept at all this whole time, but he's stubborn enough to accept ur opinions.

C22H19N3O4
08-11-2005, 05:49 AM
He's doing his Pharmacy degree Jamie.It's one of the specialized degree that's why he doesn't understand ur concept at all this whole time, but he's stubborn enough to accept ur opinions.

:lmfao:

curves
08-11-2005, 05:52 AM
communication. not a real major.

communication - :jester:

C22H19N3O4
08-11-2005, 05:57 AM
He's doing his Pharmacy degree Jamie..

I think he realizes that after 2 days of exchanges, but thanks for your informative post. :goodjob: If you have something of value to add please feel free.

Edit: This forum was created to keep current and potential students informed. I ask everyone to refrain from flaming and snide remarks. If you have nothing of value to add to this forum, please do not post. I am included in this group. Thanks.

ruah_23
08-11-2005, 01:14 PM
:lmfao:

I don't see how my previous post amused you?:confused: