PDA

View Full Version : Bad ring and pinion gear?

Stormhammer
01-31-2008, 12:03 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=81HwnPQZm-4

Can anyone give an account on what a bad ring and pinion gear sounds/feels like? I have this issue where under a certain acceleration, cruising, or just letting my foot off the gas ( say 3rd gear ) there's a audible grinding sound of sorts that varies to how I'm driving - like how this is described

Symptom: really bad noises from drivetrain that change dramatically between acceleration, light throttle cruise, and deceleration

Probable Problem/Solution: Ring and Pinion are bad. The 3rd member must be rebuilt or replaced.

The symptom is almost on par ( the vid is at 50mph in 4th gear )

Z U L8R
01-31-2008, 12:29 PM
your rear end could definately be a possibility, but there's a couple easy little things you could check before you pull the diff cover off and examine the internals....

possible cause #1. check your exhaust, make sure it's secure and has clearance everywhere, especially at the top of the muffler from the bumper and what not. usually the top of the muffler will rub whatever's above it and can make noise like that.

#2 sometimes a broken tranny mount will let the top of the transmission rub on the transmission tunnel, so your transmission vibrating against the chassis is another possible cause. get under the car and push up on the tail of the tranny to test that

the other things that come to mind

possible pilot bearing worn out
play in the imput shaft of the transmission/front pump bearing
possible midshaft bearing aka center bearing for the driveshaft (if applicable)

then what you said, possible rear end damage...

i suggest you check the exhaust and make sure it's not rubbing on something before you get all crazy and pull the diff cover off.

gl man,
Dave =]

ps, is ur car a 4age 86 corolla gts?

Stormhammer
01-31-2008, 02:41 PM
your rear end could definately be a possibility, but there's a couple easy little things you could check before you pull the diff cover off and examine the internals....

possible cause #1. check your exhaust, make sure it's secure and has clearance everywhere, especially at the top of the muffler from the bumper and what not. usually the top of the muffler will rub whatever's above it and can make noise like that.

#2 sometimes a broken tranny mount will let the top of the transmission rub on the transmission tunnel, so your transmission vibrating against the chassis is another possible cause. get under the car and push up on the tail of the tranny to test that

the other things that come to mind

possible pilot bearing worn out
play in the imput shaft of the transmission/front pump bearing
possible midshaft bearing aka center bearing for the driveshaft (if applicable)

then what you said, possible rear end damage...

i suggest you check the exhaust and make sure it's not rubbing on something before you get all crazy and pull the diff cover off.

gl man,
Dave =]

ps, is ur car a 4age 86 corolla gts?

We had done a swap to a another engine/tranny ( same type, just later year ) and about 70 miles later driving it started to gradually make this noise. It was a new pilot bearing. Just put in another engien and the original transmission as well as checking the input shaft bearing, which turned out to be good, so I'm pretty sure the transmission is ruled out. Also, the noise started back when it had the OEM original exhaust. No mid bearing on the driveshaft. Pilot bearing is a possibility.

And no, my car is a 1987 Mitsubishi Starion with a G54B engine :D

Z U L8R
01-31-2008, 03:16 PM
LOL fockin starions , where's randomguy when u need him :crazy:

injectors x 4 = good thing :D

injectors x 2 on a 4 cylinder = :gay:

naw, jk jk starions are ok if they got the wide body :bannana:

zomg it's a chrysler! :ninja:

that thing looks good though man :goodjob:

with that big ass can in the back i'd put my guess on the exhaust rattling before i condemned the rear end...but ya never know, it is what it is. i've done a little on my friend garrett's starion but i never studied up on em as far as what the rear ends can take etc.

is that thing makin decent power? :boobies:

Dave =]

Stormhammer
01-31-2008, 04:08 PM
It USED to make decent power, but I blew up the built engine :( Spun the #1 rod bearing. Now its stock engine with balance shaft elimination and jet valve elimation, and a S16G turbo @ 10psi. I think the oil pressure relief valve is stuck on the oil pump too :(

Z U L8R
01-31-2008, 09:53 PM
:( ....then the head cracks....:(

4g63 that **** ftw! ^_^, put the motor in the trunk or make some motor mounts and weld up the front bellhousings so you can use the starion tranny weeeeeeeeeeeee

Stormhammer
02-01-2008, 12:15 AM
heads crack due to intake runners running leaner on 2 and 3 =/ but its an easy fix actually, you can get a stock head for free if you ask around

Z U L8R
02-01-2008, 06:56 AM
:D , every motor has certain "hereditary" issues, it's all good.

now fix ur damn rattle.....then race my 510 hahaha

take care man,
Dave =]

Stormhammer
02-01-2008, 06:16 PM
oh I've raced it with that rattle :D lol - its the high oil pressure the car has apparently ( could be bad gauge, stuck pressure relief valve, who knows )