PDA

View Full Version : Shift lock solenoid problem...

.blank cd
01-31-2008, 01:10 AM
So i get in my car to start it up and drive down the road only to realize it wont shift out of park (spare the useless automatic's suck anyway talk, i already know) upon further investigation, the normal - - - - beeps hondas usually do when you crank the key to ACC didnt happen. So everytime i get in the car i have to release the shifter and put it into N before i start it. Any one have any experience on this, maybe shoot me in a direction to look? I plan on doing an H22/5spd swap soon so should i even worry about it?

Z U L8R
01-31-2008, 06:49 AM
for what it's worth, the shift solenoid itself just may be bad. however it get's a reference from the brake switch. when you push the brake pedal you should hear the shift solenoid click. if you no longer hear that click (of the shift lock solenoid) disengaging then you can pretty much check if maybe you accidentily kicked/broke the brake switch (some cars have 2 that mount to the pedal, one for the shift lock, the other for the brake lights, some cars have 1) so take a peak down there. another common thing is the little piece of plastic/rubber grommet that the plunger in the brake switch rests on breaks. then the plunger just goes through the hole that the grommet was in but since there's nothing there to push the plunger, these type of circumstances result. it just depends on which side of the pedal ur shift interlock/brake switch is on, whether the whole grommet suggestion could be a possibility (cars are cars with similar theory and operation, but i'm more familiar with nissan, than honda set ups/brake lights switchs/circuitry).

if it does have a separate shift interlock switch mounted on the pedal. typically it's a 2 wire plug. if the switch is bad you could take a paperclip and jump the 2 pins to see if you can bypass it that way, then either replace your switch, or solder the 2 wires together and tuck it up. i'd say just replace the thing, they're not expensive. (if your shift lock is integrated into your 1 brake light switch, then just identify the interlock wire and the ground and jump those)

if you determine your problem is the actual shift lock solenoid (which is usually part of the shifter assembly. you could always snatch one out of a salvaged car or dissassemble yours and jerry rig a temporary solution until you go 5 speed.

just some suggestions for what it's worth,
gl man,
Dave =]

AnthonyF
01-31-2008, 07:34 AM
for what it's worth, the shift solenoid itself just may be bad. however it get's a reference from the brake switch. when you push the brake pedal you should hear the shift solenoid click.

x2. or you can not fix it.

Z U L8R
01-31-2008, 09:33 AM
gimme your strawberry candies! @_@!!

AnthonyF
01-31-2008, 10:05 AM
im not 1-800 fool. lol. but those are the only candies i like from them.

EmminoDaGreat
01-31-2008, 10:23 AM
A lot of those accords will pop the fuse, under the hood check that before you do anything crazy lol. And after that do what master tech davey says.

.blank cd
01-31-2008, 02:11 PM
excellent info guys! :goodjob:

AnthonyF
01-31-2008, 02:12 PM
A lot of those accords will pop the fuse, under the hood check that before you do anything crazy lol. And after that do what master tech davey says.what the hell do you know about accords? psh.

EmminoDaGreat
02-01-2008, 09:32 AM
not sheeeet. but i used to learn valuable lessons when diagnosing things and not checking fuses first lol.

SRCRX
02-01-2008, 09:47 AM
not sheeeet. but i used to learn valuable lessons when diagnosing things and not checking fuses first lol.

if the fuse was blown, Would still work or not all??

(I have the samething going on in girl's accord)

EmminoDaGreat
02-01-2008, 10:42 AM
If that fuse blows then you will not be able to shift out of park, unless you use the key, or screwdriver,small object in the bypass.

.blank cd
02-02-2008, 04:12 AM
and you said that one was under the hood?

AnthonyF
02-02-2008, 08:17 AM
z u l8r-rep supposed to say: U post more.

RISKYB
02-02-2008, 11:39 AM
good info

EmminoDaGreat
02-02-2008, 11:46 AM
ya by the passenger fender. just pull em all n check em.