PDA

View Full Version : General Chat °0°o°O° Air Suspension... °O°o°0°

Dirty Octopus™
01-28-2008, 10:19 AM
What's so horrible about it? :thinking:

Hell I've yet to have experience in that field but i don't jump to conclusions and call it rice. I believe that there are lots of uneducated people bashing it while knowing nothing of it. Is this true?

Discuss :goodjob:

Sammich
01-28-2008, 10:24 AM
D.O....u put some bags on my truck...and i'll tell you whats so horrible about it :ninja:

aaronfelipe
01-28-2008, 10:24 AM
I remember reading an article where they were testing air suspension on track cars. I guess people assume it's rice because the bags are nowhere as stiff as a set of springs and therefore it's trying to achieve looks, not performance. It is also alot more expensive than a full set of coilovers :yes:

Deke
01-28-2008, 10:27 AM
I don't think it was air suspension that people were necessarily bashing. More so just a ridiculously low ride with an ungodly amount of camber. That much camber is just...well...pointless. Unless of course your plan is to unevenly wear out a set of tires at an amazingly fast rate.

PS I'm assuming that this is a carryover from the other thread where you posed the same question.

redrumracer
01-28-2008, 10:50 AM
there is nothing wrong with an air ride setup as long as it is done right. its actually a lot better ride quality than regular springs and as long as your not building an all out track car the difference in performance isnt worth it. plus you can constantly adjust your suspension until you find that perfect setting with just the tap of a switch.

Dirty Octopus™
01-28-2008, 11:00 AM
I remember reading an article where they were testing air suspension on track cars. I guess people assume it's rice because the bags are nowhere as stiff as a set of springs and therefore it's trying to achieve looks, not performance. It is also alot more expensive than a full set of coilovers :yes:
but is there really anything wrong with that?

PS I'm assuming that this is a carryover from the other thread where you posed the same question.
yeah it is. but it's actually been on my mind for a WHILE now.

there is nothing wrong with an air ride setup as long as it is done right. its actually a lot better ride quality than regular springs and as long as your not building an all out track car the difference in performance isnt worth it. plus you can constantly adjust your suspension until you find that perfect setting with just the tap of a switch.
See! that's pretty much what i was thinking.

thegreatfnr
01-28-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't think it was air suspension that people were necessarily bashing. More so just a ridiculously low ride with an ungodly amount of camber. That much camber is just...well...pointless. Unless of course your plan is to unevenly wear out a set of tires at an amazingly fast rate.

but its so nice ;)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/tylordurben/DSCF1577.jpg

Lee :cheers:

rollininstyle2004
01-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Air is one of those things that can be done cheaply (for certain cars), or VERY VERY expensive. Full custom setups, digital controllers, NICE parts can cost A LOT and be just as comfortable as anything out there. There are a lot of OEM cars that come on air (Audi A8 for one, as well as other high end vehicles).

There is only one company that makes an Air kit for my car, HPS Suspensions and they told me they can build me a kit anywhere from $2-24,000. Up to 36 way fully adjustable everything, etc.

Long story short, air can be a great suspension and it can be a horrible ride. A lot of the bagged trucks can get setups for cheap which is why it sometimes has the bad rap of being uncomfortable and bouncy, etc.

Anyway, im rambling, but whatever. I say go for it, just make sure to use quality parts (which based on your car im sure you will ;) )

YoungGun
01-28-2008, 04:54 PM
I agree with above.... If you do it right its awesome and can handle and ride better than coilovers or springs ever can, but to do it right is really expensive. I know they make systems for M5's that are around 20-30k installed. I priced one for my Mustang (don't laugh) and it would have been 18k installed. But most of the performance kits don't give the look of the cheaper kits (most don't drop as low or change the camber as much). Farthest mine would have dropped would have been about 1-1.5" lower than it sits now with no air in the bags so not on the pavement. Needless to say I put coilovers on it and ended up dumping the difference in the motor.

DieselNuts
01-28-2008, 05:05 PM
I was watching something on Hot Rod TV a few years back. Air Ride Technology wanted to prove to everyone that their kits were not for looks alone. They took someones 69(ish) camaro as a test car and made a few laps around a road course. They then took a break and installed the air suspension kit (obviously this was a bolt in kit) and took some more laps. I dont recall the actual difference in lap times, but it was a pretty big improvment.

Most people get them for looks and because of that, unknowledgable people blow it off as "all show, no go". Sucks for them that they are disregarding such a sweet advance in technology.

MistaCee
01-28-2008, 05:06 PM
I dont think airbagging is rice. Its more functional for daily driving than whatever the jdm one tract hoes be using.

AnthonyF
01-28-2008, 05:48 PM
What's so horrible about it? :thinking:

Hell I've yet to have experience in that field but i don't jump to conclusions and call it rice. I believe that there are lots of uneducated people bashing it while knowing nothing of it. Is this true?

Discuss :goodjob: when i save up enough after my engine build im buying an air ride suspension.

the Forza challenge, the mustang beat everyone with air ride suspension.