PDA

View Full Version : rb series

yogi08
01-25-2008, 07:14 AM
im considering going with an rb25, simply because if i go with an rb26 id regret it like hell because i wouldnt have money to put in the damn tank, id be so broke. ive been told you can get rb25's for 1200 bucks, but where the hell can you get them at for that price? just curious of everyones opinions RB25 vs SR20. pro's and cons of both. Thanks in advanced.

mocha latte cupcake
01-25-2008, 10:46 AM
im considering going with an rb25, simply because if i go with an rb26 id regret it like hell because i wouldnt have money to put in the damn tank, id be so broke. ive been told you can get rb25's for 1200 bucks, but where the hell can you get them at for that price? just curious of everyones opinions RB25 vs SR20. pro's and cons of both. Thanks in advanced.

since i'm here lets do this..

RB25... good engine same with all RB's i've never had a problem with them the response super well to upgrades. ECU, Turbo back, better SMIC or FMIC, boost controller and you're good to go man. but as far as price just shop around. Jarco, NAD auto, JGY customs, BEV tech (my friends company) they are heavier than the SR but its still a great engine.

SR -SR's rev a little easier, and are great engines! i love them having driven a few they are just great engines all around parts are easier to come by, so if you just want more reliablity and easier parts to get etc etc get the SR...

highway runs and drag: i'd rock a RB

street light to light and drift i'd rock the: SR20DET or a CA18DET

i'm sure someone will come behind me and dig up the RB VS SR thread on why RB's suck :blah: but its all good man! hope i helped a little

Cool Cat Racing
01-25-2008, 12:35 PM
I prefer SR's. I deal with RB's alot and they become a hassle quickly whenever something goes wrong. Joey, as a DD I'd get an S14 SR with some mods and rock out with about 330whp. Just get a 2871R or go baller with a Full-Race twinscroll 3071. For the 330-350whp range I'd stick with a 2871R and keep the stock manifold or extrude hone it for a little better flow. There's enough ROM tunes now for the S14's that you can build a reliable setup without spending a great deal of money. If you want north of 400whp get the 3071 setup and a standalone. Of course this will require some motor work to keep it reliable but still better than the RB in my opinion. Of course I'm a little too obsessive with a cars weight and simplicity so that's much of my reasoning against RB anything in the S chassis cars.

bigodom1
01-25-2008, 11:20 PM
i would definately agree with the Cool Cat everything he said just read it again

yogi08
01-26-2008, 12:32 AM
I prefer SR's. I deal with RB's alot and they become a hassle quickly whenever something goes wrong. Joey, as a DD I'd get an S14 SR with some mods and rock out with about 330whp. Just get a 2871R or go baller with a Full-Race twinscroll 3071. For the 330-350whp range I'd stick with a 2871R and keep the stock manifold or extrude hone it for a little better flow. There's enough ROM tunes now for the S14's that you can build a reliable setup without spending a great deal of money. If you want north of 400whp get the 3071 setup and a standalone. Of course this will require some motor work to keep it reliable but still better than the RB in my opinion. Of course I'm a little too obsessive with a cars weight and simplicity so that's much of my reasoning against RB anything in the S chassis cars.
yo ryan, greatly appreciatd informaton. but my license is suspended, so all my driving is going to be track driving. still go with an sr? funds are for sure limited, so its not an imediate thing that i have to get whatever motor in my car before like february 14th or something

rojodamonkey
01-26-2008, 12:53 AM
I agree:goodjob:

Cool Cat Racing
01-27-2008, 01:21 PM
For competitive racing I'd still drop the RB idea. Its all about weight and balance and an RB kills both. You can make all the power you want and its still only going to help halfway down the straight. A well setup SR can have excellent torque and power on a track and not suffer the weight and balance problems an RB car will have. Low end is pointless since the motor isn't below 5K anyways, its all about transient response. You can have an excellent setup making about 360whp with a 3071 twin scroll and it boosts quicker than the 2871's and you'll never think about getting an RB again. Its just too much of a hassle for what you actually get. And for a good RB25 you'd better add quite a bit to your estimate. If you want an RB26 I've got a great one here I'll sell you but I still wouldn't recommend using them in an S chassis car.

Cameron.
02-16-2008, 11:36 PM
RB FTW. sup yogi. im bout to buy some new Cams, pistons and rods for my Arby. Going with Wiseco Pistons Coated skirts, and Eagle rods, And HKS Cams. shes getting closer and closer to being a breathing beast.. ive crossed the line for 500whp, and if it wasnt for it being totally unstreetable shes good for at least 600. :) i dont like the SR... Plain and simple. And as for parts.. idk where the hell you guys are looking, but that **** is getting old... ive never had a problem finding a single part for mine. and as for weight.. weight schmate... and you said drag racing.. i got one word.. TORQUE.

Cameron.
02-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Yogi. IA isnt the place to ask a question like this.. go to Nico. Ask the Advantages in the RB section.. youll change your mind.

J Taylor
02-22-2008, 09:50 PM
You're going to pay closer to $2000 for an rb25 swap. I paid $1800 shipped for my first motorset several years ago. All it saw was abuse and 490 rwhp for over a year until I got greedy with nitrous and pushed it to 615 rwhp on pump gas. Broke a ringland the next night while out racing. The current motor is another stock long block, down to the factory headgasket, which has been making 550+ rwhp through a th350 for about a year and a half now and runs mid 10's @ 134mph on pump gas and street tires. The rb25 is a strong motor and will make lots of power with just bolt-on's and a good tune.

JT

sebastianHoff
02-26-2008, 04:50 PM
as i may be the only one on IA to have both an rb25 and an sr in the same car i feel the need to weigh in on this conversation.

the sr is a very very very good motor, i mean its damn near perfect. it gets good gas mileage(i did about 30mpg hwy), its dependable, and the parts are readily available. you can make lots of power(as a percentage increase over stock) on the stock short block. the problem with the motor is where it makes power, below about 3500rpm your seriously ****ed for power and the bigger the turbo the worse it gets (its not nearly as bad as a honda). means a lot of high rpm, which is ok cause the motor will take it.

the rb25 (and all rbs in general) is a **** kicker. a steel turbo and some sort of afc will net you over 300whp. its got tons of torque and actually does pretty good on gas(im getting around 25-26mpg city and like 28hwy). its easy to drive everyday, lots of times i dont have to down shift like i did with the sr, and as far as track and mtn driving the sr cant really stand up to it. the only down side is parts are hard to get and its hard to find a competent mechanic.

id take the rb over the sr any day.

Cameron.
03-10-2008, 01:22 AM
^ Tru, only thing is It should be changed to cheap parts are hard to get. cause i havent had any problem finding any of the RB parts i needed.. and i am Building the motor