PDA

View Full Version : Misc sports science on NGC!!!

ahmonrah
01-24-2008, 09:40 PM
sports science is on national geographic and DAYUM! seen why i was responsible for so many broken bones in football!

do we have any mathematicians in here?

they were measuring football hits and their effects on the reciever/giver and they had a dude that, though 4inches taller than me at the time i played, we weighed the same.

this particular linebacker is 6'3" 250lbs.
his measured acceleration prior to the tackle was 14mph
the amount of force generated was about 1,180lbs

i'm just wondering how much for i generated back then, but since mph were immeasurable for me, all i have for acceleration was my average 40yd time, which was 4.3sec @ 250lbs.

the formula: f=MA

just need someone to translate(if possible) the 40yd time to mph(once again, if possible) that way i can multiply that to my mass and get the approx. force.........

.93lude
01-24-2008, 09:54 PM
you need acceleration in terms of feet per second^2

ahmonrah
01-24-2008, 10:00 PM
oops......care to figure it out??

.93lude
01-24-2008, 10:03 PM
well to figure that out we would need ur speed and how long it would take for that speed to get to zero at the moment of impact

.93lude
01-24-2008, 10:17 PM
so a 4.3-40 is 27.9 fps, but thats avg speed, you started from a dig so the actual speed could be diff, but we'll use it anyway, and lets approx. a hit to take about .3 seconds (i have no idea, thats a random number), thats probably about 1290 pounds of force, given that idk how long a hit would take and its been a while since ive taken physics so im probably a tad off, that seems to be about right since you were running faster than the guy on the show, but either way its a hard hit, somewhere in the 1100-1200 lb range

ahmonrah
01-24-2008, 10:53 PM
well damn!!

1)i hit hard.
2)i'm fast
3) i'm strong(refer to #1 :lmfao:)

'preciate that science guy!

p.s. tearing 3 ligaments does sidetrack careers!!! yay for injuries!! a guard, once the ball was hiked, fell to the ground, throwing his forearm into my right ankle....pinning my foot to the ground, i was in a full sprint and lifted the ankle he had.....shredd!!

GuessWho
01-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Let me get this right... you weighed 250lbs and ran a 4.3 40yds dash ??????????

ahmonrah
01-24-2008, 11:26 PM
yep. pops got me started working out early in life playing sports. played football, ran track(pee-wee ,middle school and freshman/soph years) quit track when i hit 210lbs (still practiced with 'em, just no competing) and i topped out weight wise at 250lbs/7.??% bodyfat my junior year.
that year i ran sub 4.4 the whole year, senior year was the same, but the ankle injury the year before w/o surgery killed....but yeah, shocked myself and my coaches, they made me run again the first time, got the same sub 4.4 time. genetics and training ftw.

purplehazing
01-24-2008, 11:32 PM
just remember if u ever hit or threaten to hit me i will sue u...lol

ahmonrah
01-24-2008, 11:43 PM
just remember if u ever hit or threaten to hit me i will sue u...lol
lol!! you're good with me man!!

hell, i've gotten out of shape now, last time i worked out was in like early 05. last bodyfat test i took was like 20%? not kool....not kool at all....

ahmonrah
01-24-2008, 11:48 PM
but all in all that show is gr8!! if they(national geographic) have it online, baseball/hockey/tennis/soccer players former and current should look it up. alot of interesting facts they brought up.

like a 95mph pitch crosses the plate in 0.395sec, the speed at which human eyes blink is like 0.4sec......

there is a CURRENT pro cornerback (that was on the show) who generated a hit of about 4800lbs...

a 122lbs pro boxer who generated about 398lbs of force from one uppercut....

a pro soccer player that generated a headbutt of about 297lbs...though he did hurt himself!!!!

GuessWho
01-24-2008, 11:55 PM
yep. pops got me started working out early in life playing sports. played football, ran track(pee-wee ,middle school and freshman/soph years) quit track when i hit 210lbs (still practiced with 'em, just no competing) and i topped out weight wise at 250lbs/7.??% bodyfat my junior year.
that year i ran sub 4.4 the whole year, senior year was the same, but the ankle injury the year before w/o surgery killed....but yeah, shocked myself and my coaches, they made me run again the first time, got the same sub 4.4 time. genetics and training ftw.

And with that size you didnt go play ball anywhere ???????
I mean i couldnt go play college ball cause of my size for a free safety... plenty of skills but just not the size... and i only get like 7 channels and 2 of them are in spanish so i dont watch much tv lol... but i hear the show is unreal...

ahmonrah
01-25-2008, 12:48 AM
And with that size you didnt go play ball anywhere ???????
I mean i couldnt go play college ball cause of my size for a free safety... plenty of skills but just not the size... and i only get like 7 channels and 2 of them are in spanish so i dont watch much tv lol... but i hear the show is unreal...

http://www.eorthopod.com/images/ContentImages/ankle/ankle_sprain/ankle_sprain_anat02.jpg
calcaneo: torn
anterior talo: torn
posterior: torn
those happened in one game, at one time...
the colleges i was being scouted by walked away......so i walked into the military.

GuessWho
01-25-2008, 08:13 AM
lol nice pic and well explained :goodjob: ... and that sucks dog