PDA

View Full Version : GTR owners BEWARE your GPS is watching you..

ZeDFuNk
01-24-2008, 03:22 PM
http://www.sema.org/Main/ArticleDetail.aspx?fc_c=1080684x2286670x60980535&contentID=58974

Innovation Is Alive and Well
The innovation that aftermarket companies around the world display is legendary, and the in-house innovative power displayed by some TAS exhibitors showed that the bar has been raised higher this year, particularly when it comes to products that have become highly computerized. Aftermarket companies in Japan had heard dire predictions from inside Nissan that the GT-R would be impossible to modify, so they were prepared for the worst.

A Japanese journalist reportedly had the following experience when test driving a pre-release model of the GT-R. As he approached the main entry gate of Suzuka International Circuit, the car’s GPS-equipped computer warned him in a pleasant voice that once he entered the circuit, the car’s warranty would be voided.

The navigation screen then gave him an "Accept" screen, requiring him to push "Accept" to get rid of the voice. After a couple more times, the voice issued a final warning that the vehicle was recording his driving habits and any damage done to the vehicle at the circuit would not be covered under the new-car warranty at a Nissan dealership.

This story seemed to confirm all the fears that the Japanese aftermarket had about the GT-R being a very difficult vehicle to modify. Once it was in the hands of the 10 or so companies that showed their vehicles at the Tokyo Auto Salon, however, the car proved to be less sensitive to simple modifications than recent Toyota and Lexus releases, for example.

For a start, the vehicle will let you add aftermarket wheels and tires without any problems. Some recent Toyota and Lexus models will not even let you do tire rotation without the entire dash turning red as a "danger warning" when you turn on the ignition. It reportedly costs about $200 USD and a trip to the nearest Toyota dealer to get the dash back to normal again.

Luckily, it seems that the new GT-R is a little easier to customize. Most of the GT-Rs at TAS had aftermarket wheels and tires, but not much else. It will be a while before the degree of accessibility of the vehicle is known. It has only just come out, so even the big players in the market like HKS, BLITZ, Endless and Trust have not had time to develop products for the car.

One indication of how aftermarket innovation has surprised even the automakers was a NISMO (Nissan Motorsports) staffer who commented that he was already amazed at some of the work done by the aftermarket companies on the just-released GT-R, in particular the work performed by HKS engineers on the display GT-R in the HKS booth. Next year the same gentleman will probably see 10 other companies he will be surprised at[

Reaper
01-24-2008, 03:24 PM
holy ****...

bigdare23
01-24-2008, 03:27 PM
what?!? GTR=new Kitt?!?

ZeDFuNk
01-24-2008, 03:39 PM
holy ****...

sucks.. right?!

mocha latte cupcake
01-24-2008, 03:49 PM
and the market will figure a way around it :D i have no fear

Nissan Sean
01-24-2008, 03:52 PM
hahaha that really blows. gotta hack the pc to override it, someone will figure it out.

Echonova
01-24-2008, 04:01 PM
hahaha that really blows. gotta hack the pc to override it, someone will figure it out.Ahhhhh, Nissan engineers have already stated that if you attempt (or succeed) to hack the computer that will also void the warranty.

ahmonrah
01-24-2008, 05:01 PM
damn........why they gotta go there?? that's unfair....

ZeDFuNk
01-24-2008, 05:20 PM
yea, nissans turning into a bunch of pussies!

ahmonrah
01-24-2008, 05:29 PM
^ man that **** fugging sucks...for real! it friggin spoils future nissan/infinity for me.....

collins
01-24-2008, 05:40 PM
how the hell are you going to build a car that's fast as balls, handles like crazy, and expect everybody to drive them like old ppl? thats total bs! gm didnt do that with the z06, and i HIGHLY doubt they're gonna do it onthe zr1 either...

Alan®
01-24-2008, 05:43 PM
holly fuggin ghey batman. first the evo now the gtr?

ZeDFuNk
01-24-2008, 05:59 PM
holly fuggin ghey batman. first the evo now the gtr?

damn japs making amazing cars and messin them up!

TheGrillMan
01-24-2008, 06:01 PM
lol for a nav system that actually knows where you are

ironchef
01-24-2008, 06:16 PM
how the hell are you going to build a car that's fast as balls, handles like crazy, and expect everybody to drive them like old ppl? thats total bs! gm didnt do that with the z06, and i HIGHLY doubt they're gonna do it onthe zr1 either...I wouldn't really call the z06 or the zr1 the most advanced cars on the computerized technology front.

Frög
01-24-2008, 06:20 PM
very lame, but smart in a business POV.. nissan isnt being a pu55y for this, they don't want to and shouldn't have to pay for damage done to your car because of you overboosting it or modding.. they spent millions on designing a car that has awesome performance and awesome reliability.. if you want to mod it, do it, but dont expect nissan to pay for things that go wrong because of it..

Frög
01-24-2008, 06:22 PM
its not like ferrari who doesn't allow you to sell the car for a certain amount of time..

they are not saying you cannot mod the car!

DirtyMechanic
01-24-2008, 06:23 PM
very lame, but smart in a business POV.. nissan isnt being a pu55y for this, they don't want to and shouldn't have to pay for damage done to your car because of you overboosting it or modding.. they spent millions on designing a car that has awesome performance and awesome reliability.. if you want to mod it, do it, but dont expect nissan to pay for things that go wrong because of it.. exactly just look at subees you cant really do anything to it. if something goes wrong... they wont cover it.

Alan®
01-24-2008, 06:44 PM
As far as everyone has said I agree that dealers shouldn't be responsible for damdge to the powerplant or drivetrain because of aftermarket upgrades but at the same time if your going to build a car like that you have to at least be able to take it to a track.

Somehting else I thought of

A Japanese journalist reportedly had the following experience when test driving a pre-release model of the GT-R. As he approached the main entry gate of Suzuka International Circuit, the car’s GPS-equipped computer warned him in a pleasant voice that once he entered the circuit, the car’s warranty would be voided.

The navigation screen then gave him an "Accept" screen, requiring him to push "Accept" to get rid of the voice. After a couple more times, the voice issued a final warning that the vehicle was recording his driving habits and any damage done to the vehicle at the circuit would not be covered under the new-car warranty at a Nissan dealership.

Now we all know that dealers are sticklers when it comes to warranty work but according to the quote if you go to a track and when you leave and everything is fine but 6 months down the road the dealer would still have to cover it because the malfunction would not be due to track use right?

man
01-24-2008, 09:50 PM
I wouldn't really call the z06 or the zr1 the most advanced cars on the computerized technology front.

Thank god, computers ruin cars. End of story.

ahmonrah
01-24-2008, 11:54 PM
its not like ferrari who doesn't allow you to sell the car for a certain amount of time..

they are not saying you cannot mod the car!what's the punishment if you do???

JustinSane110™
01-25-2008, 03:22 AM
Now we all know that dealers are sticklers when it comes to warranty work but according to the quote if you go to a track and when you leave and everything is fine but 6 months down the road the dealer would still have to cover it because the malfunction would not be due to track use right?
Now that would suck ass, lol. Go in for warranty work on a recently failed part and they tell you "Sorry sir, we can't service this vehicle under warranty, our records show it was taken to a race track 1 year and 11 months ago."

Or even then, what if you buy one used from someone and later on take it in for service and find out that they tracked it once, or drove it more aggressively a couple times than the computer liked and voided it? Even though I'm sure they'd have a way to check up on that through the VIN or like Carfax before buying it, but that would still suck if you didnt background check the car.

Elbow
01-25-2008, 06:56 AM
lololol owned

1000cckiller
01-25-2008, 08:02 AM
That sucks

Leadfoot_mf
01-25-2008, 08:15 AM
what's the punishment if you do???

they take you off the preferred buyers list. so when new models come out you will have a hard as hell time buying one. wait list is long. if you have never owned a ferrari to buy a new one you go on a list so after everyone who is a ferrari owner buys one you can get yours but every ferrari owner that comes along no matter what time you went on the list bumps you. that is why the latest model of ferraris at FOA is 100k over list. because you can buy it today or wait 2 years to get a new one.

JITB
01-25-2008, 10:26 AM
this is no suprise.. what company holds their warranty to modified cars. People mod their cars break it and try to take them to the dealer and they have plenty of ways of finding out what really happened...

but it is kind of funny that the GTR's ecu is a snitchin *****...lol

Slow Motion
01-25-2008, 10:56 AM
PRIVATE TRACK...OR MAYBE F*CK THE SH!T. A LOT OF WARRANTIES ARE BULL ANYWAYS. SO F*CK IT YOU LIVE ONCE, BUT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Mike Lowrey
01-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Bwahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nissan = The gay!

FUK Nissan!

Toyota > Nissan

Slow Motion
01-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Bwahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nissan = The gay!

FUK Nissan!

Toyota > Nissan

ARE YOU SERIOUS WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO BET A POLL ON THAT?

Big Baller
01-25-2008, 01:01 PM
how the hell are you going to build a car that's fast as balls, handles like crazy, and expect everybody to drive them like old ppl? thats total bs! gm didnt do that with the z06, and i HIGHLY doubt they're gonna do it onthe zr1 either...

Last year I had a friend that broke one of the pulleys on his Z06 at Barber motorsports park on a Friday, the local GM dealership sent a flatbed to pick the car up they fixed it and it returned to the track on a flatbed on Saturday morning. I'm not saying that GM is obligated to this or that GM even knew about it but that dealership didn't have a problem with it. The car was bone stock except for tires and brake pads.

Pretty interesting huh...

man
01-25-2008, 01:09 PM
ARE YOU SERIOUS WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO BET A POLL ON THAT?

NISSAN SUCKS BALLS!!!

Tank
01-25-2008, 01:26 PM
This doesnt surprise me, just think we have aftermarket ecu's "AEM EMS" that can log your driving habits add in navigation and you get this product. I wouldnt be surprised if.....

A.) someone hacks the system

B.) more car manufactures employ this system in there vehicles also

Oh and Toyota FTW

Psycho
01-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the heads up, ZeDFuNk, I guess I won't be buying those 7 skylines now.:no:

Any one who doesn't drive a different colored car for each day of the week lives in poverty.

1000cckiller
01-25-2008, 01:51 PM
This doesnt surprise me, just think we have aftermarket ecu's "AEM EMS" that can log your driving habits add in navigation and you get this product. I wouldnt be surprised if.....

A.) someone hacks the system

B.) more car manufactures employ this system in there vehicles also

Oh and Toyota FTWfagota

Tank
01-25-2008, 02:16 PM
fagota
hater................i remember someone use to want them some toyota powa also ;)

1000cckiller
01-25-2008, 02:18 PM
To play hillbilly in. GTR FTMFW

Tank
01-25-2008, 02:36 PM
sure sure.............................................. ..

SampaGuy
01-25-2008, 02:47 PM
i dont see what the big deal is... i think its a reasonable policy and if you can afford a GTR and take it to the track you can probably also afford your own repairs anyways...

SampaGuy
01-25-2008, 02:50 PM
how the hell are you going to build a car that's fast as balls, handles like crazy, and expect everybody to drive them like old ppl?

they are not, they just dont want to pay for repairs when wannabe racecar drivers tear them up at the track.