PDA

View Full Version : Cam install problem

Egpwns
01-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Problem fixed

Thanks 1flysi reps for you

1flysi
01-23-2008, 01:18 AM
Is the bottom picture set to tdc? The cam gear timing is off in the picture that is why i ask.
Losen the tensioner and remove the timing belt. Set the crank to tdc. On the crank pully you will see 4 marks. It will look like this, I I I I . Align the one all by itself to the timing mark on the lower timing cover.
Then on to the cam gears. The marks I circled have to be straight across, parallel with the top of the cylinder head.
Line them up and put the timing belt on. Rotate the crank pulley counter clock wise for 1/8 of a turn. Then tighten up the tensioner. Rotate the motor by hand one complete rotation and make sure everything is still in time.

Make sure to check the timing ajustment bolts on the cam gears. They have been loose before on some I bought.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/1flysi/CIMG0728.jpg

Egpwns
01-23-2008, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the reply

When i wake i will follow your reply

I do have a question on the first pic i posted i put 2 align keys in the slots which align the cams up top, if i center the marking will this throw it off? or it's different on adjustable cam gears?

1flysi
01-23-2008, 01:32 AM
The only time I use the holes you are talking about is to hold the cams still to remove the cam gears. Did you read somewhere that you use the holes to set timing? I have never heard that before.

1flysi
01-23-2008, 01:33 AM
Also did you lube the cams good before you put the cam caps on?

Egpwns
01-23-2008, 01:35 AM
I will just follow your reply

I used assembly lube on the cams

thanks again for your help

Vuongy_Dong
01-23-2008, 02:32 AM
only way to tell if it is timed correctly is to see if the crank pully is on tdc.

Egpwns
01-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Is the bottom picture set to tdc? The cam gear timing is off in the picture that is why i ask.
Losen the tensioner and remove the timing belt. Set the crank to tdc. On the crank pully you will see 4 marks. It will look like this, I I I I . Align the one all by itself to the timing mark on the lower timing cover.
Then on to the cam gears. The marks I circled have to be straight across, parallel with the top of the cylinder head.
Line them up and put the timing belt on. Rotate the crank pulley counter clock wise for 1/8 of a turn. Then tighten up the tensioner. Rotate the motor by hand one complete rotation and make sure everything is still in time.

Make sure to check the timing ajustment bolts on the cam gears. They have been loose before on some I bought.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/1flysi/CIMG0728.jpg

Problem fixed

reps for you