PDA

View Full Version : The Rebate The Government Wants To Send Out

Brett
01-22-2008, 08:42 AM
So, With the stock market dropping 400 points in the first 2 minutes of trading this morning, the fed cutting the rates again.... and now it seems likley the government will send out a rebate check to each tax paying family within the middle class and below, Do you think that will help the economy? 70% of the economy is fueled by us spending money on retail items.

They are wanting to send $800 for single and $1600 for married tax payers.

So do you think it will help? I personally think for a month or so we will see the economy pick up obviously but after that I think it will not help consumer confidence.

TheGodfather
01-22-2008, 08:45 AM
I voted C.

Oh...yeah.

THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!

Hulud
01-22-2008, 08:46 AM
no, it wont help.

the economy is falling, its the natural order. giving people money will sorta help but in the end 1600 wont buy anyone enough to make an impact on the economy. plus the fact that we are sliding into a recession and the higher unemployment rates means that most people will just save the money rather than putting it back into the economy. the way to boost the economy (imo) would be to cut back on the taxes to businesses to lower the costs of goods so that it will entice people to spend their money and get the economy back on track.

but who knows, if i was 100% sure about this i would be working for the govt, not going to college LOL

Alan®
01-22-2008, 08:49 AM
not gonna help. like you said it might pick up for a month or so but after that it will go back down. A recession is not avoidable

Hulud
01-22-2008, 08:50 AM
A recession is not avoidable
some are.

Alan®
01-22-2008, 08:51 AM
no, it wont help.

the economy is falling, its the natural order. giving people money will sorta help but in the end 1600 wont buy anyone enough to make an impact on the economy. plus the fact that we are sliding into a recession and the higher unemployment rates means that most people will just save the money rather than putting it back into the economy. the way to boost the economy (imo) would be to cut back on the taxes to businesses to lower the costs of goods so that it will entice people to spend their money and get the economy back on track.

but who knows, if i was 100% sure about this i would be working for the govt, not going to college LOL

this is what i have been saying the past year and exactly why hillary doesnt need to be in office. our corporate tax rates are the 2nd highest in the world and cutting them by 3% would inject a lot more into the economy than what the government is currently doing.

DieselNuts
01-22-2008, 08:54 AM
I dont think it will help the big picture, but there is only one way to find out for sure...I WANT MY $800!!! lol

Hulud
01-22-2008, 08:57 AM
I WANT MY $800!!! lol
:stupid: lol

Ran
01-22-2008, 08:59 AM
When can I expect my check?

Echonova
01-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Most people in the lower income bracket don't pay taxes as-is, where is the gov. going to get the money for this?.?.?. I guess the "evil rich" are gonna foot the bill as always.

Scotsman
01-22-2008, 09:08 AM
When can I expect my check?x2

On_Her_Face
01-22-2008, 09:11 AM
1600 bucks won't do shit, except piss people off and make them realize how fucked we all are

DieselNuts
01-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Most people in the lower income bracket don't pay taxes as-is, where is the gov. going to get the money for this?.?.?. I guess the "evil rich" are gonna foot the bill as always.

Whats the problem with that? I have money taken out of my taxes to pay for well fair and other "government funded" programs. Not to mention, my Social Security is being drained along with everyone else that is in my age group (im 24).

Alan®
01-22-2008, 09:19 AM
yup i gotta find the graph but the bottom 80% of the population pays less in taxes than the top 1% and its still climbing. And think if hillary gets in its going to skyrocket

Hulud
01-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Whats the problem with that? I have money taken out of my taxes to pay for well fair and other "government funded" programs. Not to mention, my Social Security is being drained along with everyone else that is in my age group (im 24).
its wellfare, cause wellfare aint fair

"B"
01-22-2008, 09:24 AM
I just want my check!!!

Echonova
01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Whats the problem with that? I have money taken out of my taxes to pay for well fair and other "government funded" programs. Not to mention, my Social Security is being drained along with everyone else that is in my age group (im 24).Depends on what you're making. If you are "low-income" yes, you still have taxes taken out, but get them back come tax time with "earned income" tax credits. So in effect you're getting back everything you paid into the system. Why should someone who has worked hard, taken risks, and made smart decisions have to pay extra for you? (Not saying you’re a deadbeat) SS will probably not be there for me either (I'm old) but anyone this day and age depending only on SS for retirement will end up being a Wal-Mart greeter when they "retire".

Hulud
01-22-2008, 09:31 AM
but anyone this day and age depending only on SS or retirement will end up being a Wal-Mart greeter when they "retire".
lol truth

"B"
01-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Echo is a staunch Republican.

Echonova
01-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Echo is a staunch Republican.LOL, wrong. There is little difference between Dems and Reps these days. It's a matter of degrees now... Do you want this country to drive off a cliff at 80mph or 20mph? It's going over the cliff either way, just how fast do you want to get there?

Hulud
01-22-2008, 09:37 AM
LOL, wrong. There is little difference between Dems and Reps these days. It's a matter of degrees now... Do you want this country to drive off a cliff at 80mph or 20mph? It's going over the cliff either way, just how fast do you want to get there?
lol, you cynical son of a ***** LOL

i love it

Alan®
01-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Depends on what you're making. If you are "low-income" yes, you still have taxes taken out, but get them back come tax time with "earned income" tax credits. So in effect you're getting back everything you paid into the system. Why should someone who has worked hard, taken risks, and made smart decisions have to pay extra for you? (Not saying you’re a deadbeat) SS will probably not be there for me either (I'm old) but anyone this day and age depending only on SS for retirement will end up being a Wal-Mart greeter when they "retire".
yup right on the head as usual my friend. :goodjob:

civic95
01-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Depends on if people spend it, or save it. Also will depend on what they spend it on.

Brett
01-22-2008, 11:42 AM
I plan on doing what I can to help our country, so I will go out and spend mine!! LOL

quickdodge®
01-22-2008, 11:44 AM
its wellfare, cause wellfare aint fair

It's welfare. Later, QD.

Jecht
01-22-2008, 11:59 AM
I plan on doing what I can to help our country, so I will go out and spend mine!! LOL

I'll go out and spend mine. I'll spend it on a one way plane ticket out of the U.S. :lmao:

mocha latte cupcake
01-22-2008, 12:53 PM
consider that 800 bucks spent! :D

bafbrian
01-22-2008, 12:58 PM
no, it wont help.

Good point.

The recession is coming, sooner or later our debt will get us, since we are the largest debtor nation in the world at the current time. Even with an incentive such as those, it would help.

We sliding into a recession; but this a consumer driven recession and not a business driven similar to that of the Great Depression.

"B"
01-22-2008, 02:21 PM
I will spend mine as well. I already got ideaes for that money. Unlike most of the people in debt these days, I will use mine to help get OUT of debt.

Alan®
01-22-2008, 02:24 PM
^^Good for you. I always like hearing about people being responsible with their money rather than just being frivolous

tony
01-22-2008, 03:08 PM
not gonna help. like you said it might pick up for a month or so but after that it will go back down. A recession is not avoidable

I'll go ahead and call ya out on this since I've seen you post numerous times that the recession is a cycle and this is normal blah blah.

I would almost believe you know what you are saying till you posted that this stimulus is not going to help. If you understood the cycle of how the economy works you would know that a stimulus theoretically begins the process of recovery.

It is NOT instantaneous but rather a process. In terms that can be explained on a car forum, its very similar to jump starting a car.. the source of the jump (in this metaphor would be the tax rebate) gets things moving but does not power the vehicle itself, the vehicle (economy) in turn is able to run on its own efficiently thanks to the jump. (again, the rebate)

Think about what people do with unexpected money, some will save but most will spend and that gets the cycle moving upward. If some of you remember we had a tax rebate right before the housing boom.

The problem with this stimulus plan is inflation, which really hits the lower class hard.

iloveboost
01-22-2008, 03:19 PM
I've learned to not waste my time reading redGT's posts. I'd rather bang my head against the monitor than to waste my time replying to him.

Alan®
01-22-2008, 03:23 PM
I'll go ahead and call ya out on this since I've seen you post numerous times that the recession is a cycle and this is normal blah blah.

I would almost believe you know what you are saying till you posted that this stimulus is not going to help. If you understood the cycle of how the economy works you would know that a stimulus theoretically begins the process of recovery.

It is NOT instantaneous but rather a process. In terms that can be explained on a car forum, its very similar to jump starting a car.. the source of the jump (in this metaphor would be the tax rebate) gets things moving but does not power the vehicle itself, the vehicle (economy) in turn is able to run on its own efficiently thanks to the jump. (again, the rebate)

Think about what people do with unexpected money, some will save but most will spend and that gets the cycle moving upward. If some of you remember we had a tax rebate right before the housing boom.

The problem with this stimulus plan is inflation, which really hits the lower class hard.
I understand how it works but the reason I said that it won't work is I expect most people to save it with all the fear the media strikes in people.

tony
01-22-2008, 03:29 PM
If people are low on funds due to their habit of spending why would a free check suddenly make them so frugal? Most will spend, trust me.

I don't know if tax cuts on corporations would be the answer, I'm still researching supply side economics so I cannot really say. What I can say is Clinton raised taxes and that seemed to work for him.

Alan®
01-22-2008, 03:35 PM
If people are low on funds due to their habit of spending why would a free check suddenly make them so frugal? Most will spend, trust me.

I don't know if tax cuts on corporations would be the answer, I'm still researching supply side economics so I cannot really say. What I can say is Clinton raised taxes and that seemed to work for him.
I guess your right. As far as clinton goes. I was only like 10-14 when he was in office so i cant say much as far as what he did.

But from what I have seen in the articles I have read and so forth it seems like lowering corporate tax rates would work a lot better than the rebate.

gtikid
01-22-2008, 04:27 PM
I guess your right. As far as clinton goes. I was only like 10-14 when he was in office so i cant say much as far as what he did.

But from what I have seen in the articles I have read and so forth it seems like lowering corporate tax rates would work a lot better than the rebate.

Please, shut up :goodjob: Just don't even talk about this subject or any of the other subjects in this forum. You do not know what you are talking about when it comes to anything.

Alan®
01-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Please, shut up :goodjob: Just don't even talk about this subject or any of the other subjects in this forum. You do not know what you are talking about when it comes to anything.
:rolleyes: :goodjob: :lmfao:

gtikid
01-22-2008, 04:41 PM
:rolleyes: :goodjob: :lmfao:

Don't make me call your 15 year old brother to whoop your ass again :lmfao:

Wadda bitchh

Alan®
01-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Don't make me call your 15 year old brother to whoop your ass again :lmfao:

Wadda bitchh
:rolleyes: 2nd time I have heard that this week. it's ok though.

It's funny how I put my .02 when you have contributed squat and yet your going to tell me I don't know ****? :lmfao: GTFO.I have never claimed to know everything or a lot but I atleast have a basic understanding unlike most of the 19 year olds running around with their thumbs up their ass.

JConner
01-22-2008, 04:47 PM
redGT I agree.... lowering the corporate tax rate (cut it in half) would help more than this rebate

BuBBa DRiFT
01-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Sales of Xbox 360s and PS3s will skyrocket. Then the market will crash right back to where it was.

gtikid
01-22-2008, 04:53 PM
:rolleyes: 2nd time I have heard that this week. it's ok though.

It's funny how I put my .02 when you have contributed squat and yet your going to tell me I don't know ****? :lmfao: GTFO.I have never claimed to know everything or a lot but I atleast have a basic understanding unlike most of the 19 year olds running around with their thumbs up their ass.

So I have to actually put in my :2cents: to classify as someone that knows something? You putting your :2cents: in every subject does not necessarily mean you have a "basic understanding" on every subject you comment on. You just like hearing yourself talk, in this case, seeing yourself post.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” I'm sure you've heard that quote before. Follow it.....religiously

Alan®
01-22-2008, 04:57 PM
So I have to actually put in my :2cents: to classify as someone that knows something? You putting your :2cents: in every subject does not necessarily mean you have a "basic understanding" on every subject you comment on. You just like hearing yourself talk, in this case, seeing yourself post.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” I'm sure you've heard that quote before. Follow it.....religiously

your obviously a tool as you come in here and call me out and say i know nothing when you haven't showed you know anything yourself. Put in your wisdom and then I might actually bow down but not until then

gtikid
01-22-2008, 05:01 PM
your obviously a tool as you come in here and call me out and say i know nothing when you haven't showed you know anything yourself. Put in your wisdom and then I might actually bow down but not until then

Would you like me to put together a powerpoint along with an essay? I never said bow down. I said take your stupidity elsewhere :goodjob:

Alan®
01-22-2008, 05:03 PM
lol i'm not going anywhere just cause you said so.

RISKYB
01-22-2008, 05:40 PM
i dont think it will help either, yet i wouldnt complain about getting a few hundred of the smackers back that they owe me either

BuBBa DRiFT
01-22-2008, 06:16 PM
im going to invest that 800 into my track car, and destroy the planet with my gutted catalytic converter and buy homemade race fuel..

that'll show the big cheese who's boss.

SampaGuy
01-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Look at how my fantasy trading account closed today. -5.16% total loss... I was at a total 80% profit about 2 months ago! Its fake but WTF this is sad LOL

The Apple stock that was purchased @ $121.05 was bought the day after the the IPhone came out btw, and is now the only thing not in the negative...

Jecht
01-22-2008, 10:12 PM
On a serious note, do you guys think that now is a good time to get into stocks since the market is really low?

SampaGuy
01-22-2008, 10:13 PM
On a serious note, do you guys think that now is a good time to get into stocks since the market is really low?

Not just yet. Gotta wait till it completely collapses lol

Reaper
01-22-2008, 10:20 PM
are they really doing this? or is it just "hypothetical"? If its for real I'm buying a 50" plasma(I still get the hookup at bestbuy):D

tony
01-22-2008, 10:26 PM

I'd say its a good time.. just do your research

BuBBa DRiFT
01-22-2008, 11:42 PM
when is this, i want coilovers DAMMIT!

ahmonrah
01-23-2008, 07:41 AM
On a serious note, do you guys think that now is a good time to get into stocks since the market is really low?one would say yes....funny, over the last 2 weeks i've been seriously considering it, and researching more companies that i may want to invest in.

but i've also been looking at chinese companies as well....what gives>?