PDA

View Full Version : quick question..hx rims on the ex

JDMef88
01-21-2008, 06:24 PM
so i bought some hx rims couple days ago, then since they dont clear ex brakes i got some 6mm spacers....everything went fine..except when i drive really slow like 1st gear 1-15mph my steering wheel rocks from side to side and then on the highway when im going 75+ my steering wheels just shakes all crazy...what do i need to do? Aligment? Balancing of tires? LMK whats up and thanks for your time. And are 6mm spacers throwing it off? Thanks IA :goodjob:

Kevykev
01-21-2008, 06:36 PM
just don't do 'em.

sounds like the wheels are not true (round)

I know they're the lightest Honda production wheels and all but that particular set sounds questionable.

PS a friend of mine had HXs on a 00 EX - No problems

RBS
01-21-2008, 06:38 PM
well your problem is the spacers, remove them and sell those. then take a grinder and grind just a little bit off of the calipers, this is perfectly safe btw, and then remount the wheels

RBS
01-21-2008, 06:39 PM
or http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=555391

JDMef88
01-21-2008, 07:04 PM
dude i dont know how to mess with all that grinding ****...if u wanna do it lmk...i thought spacers were a safe alternative...they make my car wobble like ****...so i dont know whats up..

And i mean the stearing wheel, when i said wheel in the main post^^^

AnTi-PooN
01-21-2008, 08:01 PM
same exact symptoms i had last week.... it was a bent wheel.

so i'm saying it's the wheels. did you get a killer deal on them???? that might be the answer to your question

JDMef88
01-21-2008, 09:01 PM
250$ for painted hx's ... i think its the spacers dude its throwing the offset and i only put them on the front and not in the rear, when i road to get the spacers, i had 2 hx's on the back and 2 steeles on the front and my car rode perfect, no shakes and ****, its gotta be my spacers

JDMef88
01-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Like i was saying, i dont think i made it clear, my steering wheel shakes and wobbles, not the rims, i got someone to stand outside and watch me drive buy them from a stright angle and they said the rims did not wobble or shake at all...its gotta be the spacers, they dont leave alot of lug stem eather, so i was kinda worried about that...ill have to find the exact steps to grind down my calipers ...the rims look sick on the car so i want to keep them..

AnTi-PooN
01-21-2008, 09:07 PM
yea i had the EXACT same symptoms when my wheel was bent my steering wheel acted like it wanted to fall off( i was embarrased people would see me struggling to hold it still lol)

but yea pay 100 for an alignment and if it's still bad then take them off.

Thighs
01-21-2008, 09:13 PM
its not your spacers. you have a bent wheel or 2 on the front. put the wheels from the back on the front and vice versa. if it doesnt shake, its the wheels. if it shakes, it could be that you have really crappy spacers

JDMef88
01-21-2008, 09:50 PM
i bought some 6.99 petboys spacers, wheels from the front to back did the same thing, my car has a very bad left pull...needs an alignment really bad ..i thought that could also be a factor. the wheels came off a hatch that cleared without spacers i bought them form Annihilation and he did not mention anything about wheels being bent...but then again this is IA...lowballers and fraud everywhere u look...

JDMef88
01-21-2008, 09:51 PM
im pretty shure its the spacers and the offset of the wheels...because the spacers dont sit on the looks like locked on, there is alot of "play" i can put the spacer on the studs, but it will still move from side to side, like for bigger lug stems or something...the spacers are what i think it is...ima have to grind down my calipers..cause i dont wanna get rid of the rims

afwfjustin
01-21-2008, 09:54 PM
^lol, this forum is definitely full of some shady ass people. I tried selling a bunch of stuff in the past and everyone that PM'd me were the cheapest motherf*ckers and so damn flaky that I don't even bother posting stuff for sale anymore; one was some uneducated sounding douche that had me drive somewhere to meet him and didn't show up or call me to tell me that he wouldn't be there. I was pissed

RBS
01-21-2008, 09:59 PM
im damn sure its the spacers, cause im sure Annihilation wouldnt sell POS bent wheels and not tell the buyer... i say you call up one of your friends with a grinder and grind down the calipers a lil bit. id do it for you but your too far to be doing a free job

DaRussian
01-22-2008, 12:26 AM
if the steering wheel moves when u are rolling 1-15 mph, that means that u most likely have a bump on one of ur front tires. get them checked out, i had the samething on my work van not too long ago

StraightSix
01-22-2008, 07:09 AM
There's a couple of possibilities.

It could be the spacers. Honda wheels are hub-centric, meaning that the center bore of the wheel must fit on the hub of the car with nearly no clearance. A wheel that isn't correctly centered on the hub will cause a vibration. I have this problem with the wheels on my car.

It could be a tire separation. This happens when the tread plies of the tire "come unglued" beneath the surface ply. The result is a lump in the tread of the tire. The worse the separation, the worse the vibration. This can also cause a pull.

A wheel could be bent. Spinning the wheel up on a balancer will reveal this.

If the wheel/tire happens to be out of balance, you WILL NOT be able to see while driving. The wheel needs to be spun up on a balancer to determine the degree of imbalance.

The wheel offset is a measurement of length only. It can not cause a wheel to be out of balance or incur a vibration.

JDMef88
01-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Nice dude- great info reps for u!