PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Turbo and Intake Manifold Fabrication

HiRide
01-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Hey,

I am working on a turbo project for the E46 M3. I have been for a while, but unlike the big shops in the BMW world I dont have $100K to throw at research and design. So with the big guys like AA and HPF making up to 1000RWHP setups, I had decided to make a "Home-Grown Boost" setup for the E46 M3.

Actually its not something you see with higher priced cars because so many owners just want to slap on a kit and not touch a thing. I just cant do it, I want to tune my own setup, I want to pick my own turbo, my own intercooler, run a meth kit with an intercooler spray and nitrous too... Mass builders dont like that... it creates lots of liability.

Unfortunately since the only ones who are capable of tuning BMW ECU's make kits only the end up making everything for themselves, no one sells turbo manifolds or intake manifolds because no one can tune anyway.

This is with newer models since they are OBDII and need to keep emissions to be street legal in most places. Anyway, I have found a piggyback that gives me full injector and ignition control without having to trick the ECU and I can even run low impedance injectors, meth control nitrous control, intercooler spray control, launch control, shift light, built in boost controller, etc...

So I can tune the motor, but I need to get parts fabricated...:doh:

I was working with a team in AL that was making a kit... they dropped the ball, so I need to get a turbo and intake manifold fabricated but I am worried about the costs. the other team was going to build their setup without me anyway, so they offered to give me parts at cost without design costs if I agreed to back up their system with my piggyback. It would have been a great deal, but its pretty much gone now...

I need to have this project done soon; it seems quite a few people are interested in this setup and of course, they want a kit. I am more inclined to spark one-off setups by getting basic manifold designs built, but if we can get another high-end ECU tuner back on the project, it could mean a kit.

Does anyone here know who could handle fabrication like this in the atlanta area?

Also, if anyone has any experience with having custom built turbo and intake manifolds, what kind of costs did you incur?

Thanks in Advance!

Rich

P.S. - my setup is shooting to be around 700RWHP max boost (peak dyno run) but will run around 600 RWHP high boost 450 low boost daily. The basic setup will be 450-500 RWHP daily for reference.

BLK JDM
01-21-2008, 09:25 AM
I'd hit up AutoFab. They helped to turbocharge Nextelbuddy's M3 after he had a lot of previous trouble. They've also done a couple turbo M3s as customer cars and project cars. They are located in Suwanee.

iloveboost
01-21-2008, 09:35 AM
You can also contact TurboDave. He makes all kinda of manifolds (turbo and intake), custom exhaust, downpipes... the works.

This is the manifold he made for my Integra.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/iloveboost/7b73d55c.jpg

I wouldn't make a decision without talking to him and seeing his work.

Good luck with the project.

BLK JDM
01-21-2008, 09:41 AM
You can also contact TurboDave. He makes all kinda of manifolds (turbo and intake), custom exhaust, downpipes... the works.

Did you ever reinstall the A/C and Powersteering back into your car?? I remember TDF and Mainstream stating that it was the only Topmount Manifold that allowed for both P/S and A/C.

iloveboost
01-21-2008, 09:44 AM
I never got around to it. I didn't make it that much of a priority but it was possible. I was more focused on selling it, heh.

BLK JDM
01-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Hey I understand!

Vteckidd
01-21-2008, 10:34 AM
THe problem with the E46s is ROOM and ITBs.

Intake manifold wise it will be a pain because of the sensor locations and the fact that it comes with ITBs from the factory. I wouldnt mess with custom intake manifold on that car, id focus on running the IC piping to a plenum that encompasses the ITBs.

Turbo manifold wise, Autofab or TurboDave would prob be the places to look into. Daves done some oddball cars like a S60R volvo and such so im sure he could figure something out.

It wont be cheap though, those cars cost $$$$$. Talk to BOKI on here, he is turboing his e46 and hes been compiling stuff for 2+Years

Vteckidd
01-21-2008, 10:36 AM
IIRC CUSTOM turbo manifolds for 6 cylinders are $1800-2500, thats about the going rate.

Big J
01-21-2008, 11:10 AM
http://treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=326&cat_key=52&prodname=BMW+E36+E46+M3+Turbo+Manifold

It says it's out of stock, but I can find out when more will be available. Cast is the way to go.

HiRide
01-22-2008, 02:11 AM
Hey,

I actually am already working with AutoFAB. I am a good friend of Thomas. He has built alot of custom turbo setups but hasnt had to custom design and fabricate all the parts. He has fabricators he will use but I need to get as much info as I can.

From what I understand Turbo Dave is backed up like hell right now; thats what everyone says... I guess i should just call him and figure it out.

Also, the intake manifold is a must. its because of the ITB that the intake manifold is necessary. since the throttle body is on the head and not on the other side of an intake manifold, the intake manifold does not have to be cast in order to deal with high vacuum behind the throttle body.

Instead my intake manifold is more of an airbox for the giant velocity stacks inside. Its glued plastic and cant handle more than a few psi. that being said every M3 FI setup uses a new intake manifold that clamps to the ITS's as the stock intake manifold does.

Also, the stock intake manifold is designed for N/A air movement. the velocity stacks are as big as the manifold. its great for pulling air in, but not for forced air characteristics.

The new intake manifold is a good idea for an Turbo car anyway because its design for air being forced into the motor and feeds each cylinder a similar amount of air. The stock manifold would slam cylinder 3 and 4 with the most air, then 2 & 5, and 1 & 6 would get the least amount.

xdavidscenex
02-12-2008, 11:41 AM

how did you run your water line to the turbo?

sleepin240
02-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Richie? if it is...PM me. Its Tony. im liking the ideas. good luck