PDA

View Full Version : Unique Performance got raided!!!

YoungGun
01-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Saw this on another site and don't think its on here yet... and its Unique Performance not Unique Whips...:rolleyes: Just another on the list of dirtbag shops that screw people over....

Custom Car Company Raided in Texas: Eleanor’s Reputation Tainted
By Matt Gergeni

FARMERS BRANCH , Texas — Texas-based Unique Performance, maker of the Shelby-designed Mustang GT500E Super Snake replica and other specialty muscle car creations, has found itself on the wrong side of the law — and many of their customers.

Amid a flurry of public complaints from impatient customers who have fronted hefty fees to get on the waiting list for the company’s pricey creations, which carry a starting price tag of $200,000, the Farmers Branch Police paid a visit to the car builder earlier this week.

According to local media reports, police found 61 vintage cars (mainly Mustangs) in various stages of construction. The problem is, most of the cars appear to have been given fake VIN plates; other Mustangs in the company’s possession have had their VIN numbers scraped off entirely.

On Nov. 5, police confiscated all 61 cars from the company and are currently in the process of investigating how the cars were obtained. At press time, no arrests have been made at this point, according to police. However, authorities believe that the company may have been involved in title-washing, an illegal practice where VIN numbers are altered in order to conceal the car’s origin or classification as a salvaged vehicle.

Earlier this year, Carroll Shelby’s licensing arm began steps to end its professional relationship with Unique Performance according to a recent AutoWeek article. The article also states that a number of Unique Performance customers are currently in the process of filing suit against the company, claiming that the auto builder has bilked them out of approximately $7 million in deposits and has around 50 to 60 orders that it has yet to complete.

In addition to the Shelby designed Mustang, Unique Performance is also involved in building the Foose Stallion for auto creator Chip Foose.

http://jalopnik.com/cars/breaking-ne...ing-319267.php

BKgen®
01-20-2008, 04:15 PM
bummer. all this time i was convinced they were just some good ol' boys with a respectable business :no:

RandomGuy
01-20-2008, 04:18 PM
will castro is going to be sad

Alan®
01-20-2008, 04:21 PM
that sucks i love those things too

BKgen®
01-20-2008, 04:38 PM
will castro is going to be sad

wrong shop.

RandomGuy
01-20-2008, 04:44 PM
no wai

lirl read disclaimer on his first post

Evil Goat
01-20-2008, 05:32 PM
i remember seeing this company on the show rides....doesnt ford designate new vin#'s for these cars anyway? i think i have the hd version of that particular show still on my dvr...

edit....its not a vin #, simply a tag that is placed on the inside of the drivers door endorsed by ford designating it as a factory level remake, has #'s similar to a vin...but is not used for registration purposes

YoungGun
01-20-2008, 10:29 PM
I was actually surprised by this because I thought they used new chassis. There are numerous companies out there now that make entirely new steel bodies and frames that are just like original. Part of it was changing the vin #'s to hide wrecks... I can't even describe how pissed I would be to pay over 200k for a car to find it was previously wrecked and had a bent frame. I'd be really happy if this was just a misunderstanding but my guess is probably not....