PDA

View Full Version : Misc dlp vs lcd vs plasma (what you got, like/dislike, etc?)

4dmin
01-19-2008, 09:01 PM
i finally sold my 55" hdtv rear projection tv and i'm in the market for a new tv. i have a nice lcd in my bedroom but i'm considering Samsung 50" LCD DLP... fry's has them for under 1400 and the picture quality looks amazing! what do you got or suggest?

http://image.ak.outpost.com/art/product/big_shots/5215747.big.jpg

DemonEyez
01-20-2008, 12:14 AM
i finally sold my 55" hdtv rear projection tv and i'm in the market for a new tv. i have a nice lcd in my bedroom but i'm considering Samsung 50" LCD DLP... fry's has them for under 1400 and the picture quality looks amazing! what do you got or suggest?

http://image.ak.outpost.com/art/product/big_shots/5215747.big.jpg

uhhm.. LED dlp?

cus no lcd dlp.

I would say that there is no one tv is best option. Each has a specific environment they work best in.

U cant have a projection tv in a room with wide angesl or alot of front light.
U can't have a plasma in a room with alot of glaring lights.
U dont want an lcd in a extremely dark room.

Other factors too also but bsaically i follow those guidelines

altho i would take a SXRD based projection tv over a dlp anyday.
the new a3000 series with 24hz capability and 120hz motion flow processing = awesome.

4dmin
01-20-2008, 09:27 AM
uhhm.. LED dlp?

cus no lcd dlp.

I would say that there is no one tv is best option. Each has a specific environment they work best in.

U cant have a projection tv in a room with wide angesl or alot of front light.
U can't have a plasma in a room with alot of glaring lights.
U dont want an lcd in a extremely dark room.

Other factors too also but bsaically i follow those guidelines

altho i would take a SXRD based projection tv over a dlp anyday.
the new a3000 series with 24hz capability and 120hz motion flow processing = awesome.

ya sorry i meant LED DLP... i'm planning on putting it in my living room which has pretty good light but we always keep our blinds closed, so it is kinda dark in there. I need something for watching tv/movies when friends are over (i mainly watch tv/movies in my bedroom on my LCD). so w/ that said; that is the purpose/enviroment. :goodjob:

Wurm
01-20-2008, 09:34 AM
just make sure you get.....

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/gimages/flashmatic.jpg

SPOOLIN
01-20-2008, 10:19 AM
not sure im understanding your theory where lcd isnt good in a really dark room. Plasma can be used with some frontal light, i use mine everyday with lamps on in the room. Most new plasmas have an awesome anti glare coating on them. I personally am a Plasma kind of guy. They last technically as long as every other TV made right now despite previous rumors in the past years. They are bright as hell, i have to turn my brightness down or it gives me a headache. Im about to buy a second plasma that is HD then im not buying any more tv's until LED tv gets big unless something happens. :)

DemonEyez
01-20-2008, 03:49 PM
not sure im understanding your theory where lcd isnt good in a really dark room. Plasma can be used with some frontal light, i use mine everyday with lamps on in the room. Most new plasmas have an awesome anti glare coating on them. I personally am a Plasma kind of guy. They last technically as long as every other TV made right now despite previous rumors in the past years. They are bright as hell, i have to turn my brightness down or it gives me a headache. Im about to buy a second plasma that is HD then im not buying any more tv's until LED tv gets big unless something happens. :)

well lcd are brighter than most plasma's.
most plasma company's plasmas are averaging a 5-6 year lifespan atm

and u dont want an lcd in a really dark room because since they use a backlight, when the scene goes really dark, u will see the entire screen glowing. U wont notice this in the daytime with light in the room, in this case the lcd will "appear" to be blacker than the plasma's due to plasma reflections.

but in the dark a plamsa easily shows a truer black due to their pixels essentially turning off with no light.

SPOOLIN
01-20-2008, 04:01 PM
well lcd are brighter than most plasma's.
most plasma company's plasmas are averaging a 5-6 year lifespan atm

and u dont want an lcd in a really dark room because since they use a backlight, when the scene goes really dark, u will see the entire screen glowing. U wont notice this in the daytime with light in the room, in this case the lcd will "appear" to be blacker than the plasma's due to plasma reflections.

but in the dark a plamsa easily shows a truer black due to their pixels essentially turning off with no light.

you are incorrect on plasma. they are rated at 35-40000 hours at 6 hours a day which is what most people use them at. thats like 18 years and no one keeps a TV that long anyways. They have the same lifespan now as a CRT and those ****ers GO GO GO. LCD is not brighter than plasma, no where close. thats why a plasma has 10-15000:1 contrast ratios while a typical LCD is lucky to get 2000:1

LCD does glow at night, but samsung has some models that really reduce that to almost nothing.

DemonEyez
01-20-2008, 04:12 PM
you are incorrect on plasma. they are rated at 35-40000 hours at 6 hours a day which is what most people use them at. thats like 18 years and no one keeps a TV that long anyways. They have the same lifespan now as a CRT and those ****ers GO GO GO. LCD is not brighter than plasma, no where close. thats why a plasma has 10-15000:1 contrast ratios while a typical LCD is lucky to get 2000:1

LCD does glow at night, but samsung has some models that really reduce that to almost nothing.

only samsung to do it is their 81 led series cus the led in the backlight turns off

and btw the rating of the plasma means nothing. It doesnt actually nearlylast that long.

only plasma to last a good while is the panasonic.

and contrast has what to do with brightness? its just a test of how many different shades of grey it can do. and lcd's from good companies like sony samsung are 17000+ contrast btw. a vizio maybe is 2000.

SPOOLIN
01-20-2008, 04:30 PM
I have a panasonic plasma and im about to buy another, comparing the products, I have NEVER seen an lcd tv be brighter than a plasma and others i know agree. The rating does mean something now. When they first came out they were not reliable.

DemonEyez
01-20-2008, 04:41 PM
theyve immproved slightly. their biggest drawback is mostly power hungry. anytime u combine high energy, high heat and electornics ur talking short life span. panasonic does really well on plasma's cus they use 50% less energy than other plasma's produce a ton less heat.

and sorry but lcd's are brighter than plasma's. again im comparing good company to good company. please no vizio's or sylvania's.

but in ur defense the lcd's are generally too bright. nearly all professional calibrations have the backlighting and settings toned down

4dmin
01-23-2008, 07:21 PM
saw this figured i'd add it to the thread

http://tech.msn.com/products/Top1040and42inchHDTVs.aspx

DemonEyez
01-23-2008, 10:10 PM
well thats a buncha bs. the 4061 is a barebones 1080p with essentially no extra features.

no extended color support
no 24hz compatability
no 120hz processor
no advanced video processing over the 720p set.

i dont get if thats a list of price the phillips set has ambilight but sub par picture quality and its no 5.. ridiculous

and if they said the vizio had the best image quality they need a better test system. vizio's picture quality lacks contrast, color sharpness in all sets they make. Sigh. Just like the nbc article about mass effect.

Vteckidd
01-23-2008, 10:18 PM
LCD is a better picture quality, no arguement about it.

Plasma is good, since it can do a true black its colors are sometimes a little brighter.

but people have commented how my 46in 720P Samsung has a better picture than their Plasma or 1080P LCD tv.

All i can say is BUY A SAMSUNG. Its the best TV right now IMO, and they are reasonably priced. Sony is great, but they want $$$$$.

Im not impressed with the Aquos either.

My TV was $1450 and i have a SAMSUNG 46in 720P 3 HDMI Model Number- LN-T4642H

SPECS
- Widescreen aspect ratio High-definition 1366x 768 pixel resolution:
High resolution pixel density with built-in image scaler to handle inputs from a variety of digital and analog audio/ video sources

- 7000:1 contrast ratio/500nit brightness:
As two of the most important determining factors in overall picture quality, contrast and brightness levels achieve new heights in this latest generation LCD panel. Samsungs new LCD TVs give the most stunning realistic picture quality ever from a flat panel set.

- Wide color enhancer:
Wide color enhancer optimizes a colors hue resulting in more natural colors.

- CCFL - Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp:
Provides colors in your picture that were not available before.

- 178 degrees (H) / 178 degrees (V) viewing angle:
Wide viewing angles improves viewing angle, contrast, and brightness to provide an even better picture.

- Built-in digital tuner: (ATSC/Clear QAM)
High-Definition Built-in tuner receives and decodes digital standard-definition and HDTV signals from over-the-air broadcasts (antenna required)

- Fast 8ms response time:
Fast 8ms response time minimizes blurring of moving video.

- Picture-in-Picture: (PIP)
Picture-in-picture enables convenient simultaneous viewing of TV programs and video or PC sources.

- Game Mode:
Game mode enhances dark areas, sharpens the picture, speeds up the image processing response and enhances the sounds of your games at the touch of a button.

- V-Chip system:
This allows blocking of rated TV and movie programs determined by the parent to contain objectionable content.

- Trilingual on-screen display:
Displays options in English, Spanish or French.

- Sleep timer:
Variable sleep timer turns the TV off in varying time intervals.

- Speakers:
Side built-in speakers with 10 Watts x 2 audio power

- SRS TruSurround XT:
TruSurround is a patented SRS technology that solves the problem of playing 5.1 multichannel content over two speakers. TruSurround delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through any two-speaker playback system, including internal television speakers and headphones. It is fully compatible with all multichannel formats up to 5.1 channels.

- Sound leveler:
Audio volume automatically stays consistent during channel changing.

- Side A/V ports:
Provides easy connections so you can connect a camcorder, digital camera, or any other digital device with no hassles.

- Removable swivel stand:
If you want to install your TV on your wall, you can easily remove the stand and use a compatible wall mount to safely and stylishly attach your TV to the wall. See our recommended accessories or TV essentials bundled packages.

- Auto wall mount compatible:
3-dimensional operation via TV?s remote control; no external IR receiver required.

- Inputs & Outputs:
3 HDMI High Definition Multimedia Interface (2 rear/1 side), 2 Component video inputs, 2 S-video inputs (1 side/1 rear), Side and Rear A/V inputs, PC input, USB 2.0, 2 RF antenna inputs, Headphone jack.

- Dimensions & Weight:
TV w/o stand: 48" (W) x 27.9" (H) x 4.4" (D) / 49.8 lbs.
TV with stand: 48" (W) x 30.6" (H) x 12.8" (D) / 61.7 lbs.

- Manufacturer Warranty
One year parts and labor for residential, in-home service (90 days parts and labor for commercial use, on-site service); backed by Samsung toll-free support.

Vteckidd
01-23-2008, 10:22 PM
And stay away from DLP, waste of money

DemonEyez
01-23-2008, 10:50 PM
like i mentioned in my first post here look for a sony kdl xx a 300 series. their sxrd technology with 120hz motion flow, superb picture, color and since their discontinued u might get em cheap

Dr.G
01-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Paul I would suggest starting HERE (http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-6485_7-168-101.html?tag=prmo1) and then taking your time sifting through the Display Devices subforums HERE (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/)....

Both sites helped me tremendously (particularly avsforums.com) with finally deciding on my 1080p 52" Samsung LCD, after first having went with the 780p Samsung 50" plasma. Picture and sound is stunning on both. Decided in the end on the LCD mostly because the deal I ended up getting on it, but also a little less glare in my my brightly lit living room from the LCD. Hope this helps :goodjob:

DemonEyez
01-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Paul I would suggest starting HERE (http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-6485_7-168-101.html?tag=prmo1) and then taking your time sifting through the Display Devices subforums HERE (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/)....

Both sites helped me tremendously (particularly avsforums.com) with finally deciding on my 1080p 52" Samsung LCD, after first having went with the 780p Samsung 50" plasma. Picture and sound was stunning on both. Decided in the end on the LCD mostly because the deal I ended up getting on it, but also a little less glare in my my brightly lit living room from the LCD. Hope this helps :goodjob:

good site. cnet reviews are awesome

as u can see sony = top lcd
sony = top projection
pioneer = top plasma.

and thats the way it is. cept panasonic is prolly ur best plasma choice as the pioneer ones are ridiculously expensive. 50" is like 5k

4dmin
01-29-2008, 11:00 PM
hell ya came home tonight and got surprised w/ 56" LED DLP Samsung this tv is s!ck!!!

i'm ready for the super bowl :D

pali_meister
02-03-2008, 03:53 PM
i ecommend u dont get plasma. my room mate has a 50" plasma and when watching alot of non HD the bars on either side of the screen get burned in. Now when we watch HD u can see where it got burnt.

green91
02-10-2008, 02:18 PM
I just bought a 42" hitachi plasma this morning, 1080, looks great! picture is actually pretty decent considering i cant get any hdtv programming where my house is (ive got directv but no LOS for directv HD or dish). i wish i could get some HD programming though.

JDMjoe
02-10-2008, 02:54 PM
And stay away from DLP, waste of money
Why would you say that???

EmminoDaGreat
02-10-2008, 03:17 PM
i like my hd lcd,