PDA

View Full Version : auto cross noob

TheGrillMan
01-19-2008, 07:42 PM
so ive read allmost everything i could find from google on the subject and i feel as if i understand it pretty well , it also seems that i would very much enjoy it

now i plan to run my dd a few times just to get the hang of the events before i looking inot building a car just for that cause

now here is my question i was told by another member that autox is allabout grip

soo is awd better then rwd? or fwd better then both or..

also in your opnions what are some acceptable cars to take to the track (looking to build something just for autox)

also anything else i should know before i get in over my head so to speak

thepolecat
01-19-2008, 07:47 PM
it is mostly suspension. alot has to do with the ability of the driver. my civic has beat out STIs, Evos, etc that are much more powerful and AWD because he guys that drove them could not handle them. The courses are setup to work for both FWD and RWD in some parts. You will probably suck your first time, but it is really all about fun and learning.

Good luck and enjoy!

TheGrillMan
01-19-2008, 07:49 PM
oh i expexct to suck lol cant be amasing at something your doing for the first time

unless your a BAMF of course thanks tho, repped

SampaGuy
01-19-2008, 08:08 PM
do a few events with your dd and you will know what u want. i started out with a jetta 1.8t with abs/traction control, open diff fwd. now i drive a miata with a torsen diff and no abs. and even though fwds are also quick, rwd will always be the most fun :goodjob:

EJ25RUN
01-19-2008, 08:11 PM
so ive read allmost everything i could find from google on the subject and i feel as if i understand it pretty well , it also seems that i would very much enjoy it

now i plan to run my dd a few times just to get the hang of the events before i looking inot building a car just for that cause

now here is my question i was told by another member that autox is allabout grip

soo is awd better then rwd? or fwd better then both or..

also in your opnions what are some acceptable cars to take to the track (looking to build something just for autox)

also anything else i should know before i get in over my head so to speak

not to bash but....

if the best question you could come up with after reading all google has on the subject is

"""soo is awd better then rwd? or fwd better then both or.."""

then you need to go and actually read the material and stop looking at just the pictures.

TheGrillMan
01-19-2008, 08:20 PM
not to bash but....

if the best question you could come up with after reading all google has on the subject is

then you need to go and actually read the material and stop looking at just the pictures.

well i have actually read and every site says something a little differnt , from what i gather it's more of your driving styles weather or not awd is better then rwd ect..

i just wanted some personal opnions of members

but i guess my atempt is futile, so ima go back to my coloring books

thanks anyways

SampaGuy
01-19-2008, 08:27 PM
well i have actually read and every site says something a little differnt , from what i gather it's more of your driving styles weather or not awd is better then rwd ect..

thanks anyways

you are correct, it depends on your driving style and it also depends on what class you plan to run in. you stated you are a noob, ignore the people trying to give you a hard time

EJ25RUN
01-19-2008, 08:31 PM

thanks anyways

i see it like this.

Fwd cars are known for typically being lighter (im assuming like a honda hatchback for example) which will result in better balance to start off with and not really require alot of power. The only thing you'll have to work to get rid off with a proper setup is the understeer cause the engines up front.

Rwd cars could be light and could be heavy (weight is your biggest enemy) you need to get the idea that drifting is useless in an area where the best line wins. If a car tends to push (understeer) or is loose (oversteer) its slowing you down. Power... you can have more than the fwd car but if you cant put it down without tractionloss its serves no purpose

4wd cars give you what you think is the best of both worlds but its got its own issues as well. Weight is the biggest! Most 4wd cars will tend to understeer cause of this. The main element you gain going around a corner in a 4wd car is that the rear is less likly to step out so the power can be put down sooner. If you look at time attack results 4wd cars and rwd cars arnt to far apart but the fastest setup whether rwd/4wd/fwd is having a mid ship with rwd cause 4wd simtems haven't allowed these cars any speed advance cause of weight.

SampaGuy
01-19-2008, 08:36 PM
i see it like this.

Fwd cars are known for typically being lighter (im assuming like a honda hatchback for example) which will result in better balance to start off with and not really require alot of power. The only thing you'll have to work to get rid off with a proper setup is the understeer cause the engines up front.

Rwd cars could be light and could be heavy (weight is your biggest enemy) you need to get the idea that drifting is useless in an area where the best line wins. If a car tends to push (understeer) or is loose (oversteer) its slowing you down. Power... you can have more than the fwd car but if you cant put it down without tractionloss its serves no purpose

4wd cars give you what you think is the best of both worlds but its got its own issues as well. Weight is the biggest! Most 4wd cars will tend to understeer cause of this. The main element you gain going around a corner in a 4wd car is that the rear is less likly to step out so the power can be put down sooner. If you look at time attack results 4wd cars and rwd cars arnt to far apart but the fastest setup whether rwd/4wd/fwd is having a mid ship with rwd cause 4wd simtems haven't allowed these cars any speed advance cause of weight.

but all that doesnt matter because in a AWD class, you will only be able to drive an AWD car... some classes favor fwd (ex. ef hatch in STS), some favor rwd. Its not about being the fastest car there because nobody will beat the formula cars and other race cars anyways. its about being the fastest car in your class.

EJ25RUN
01-19-2008, 08:38 PM
but all that doesnt matter because in a AWD class, you will only be able to drive an AWD car... some classes favor fwd (ex. ef hatch in STS), some favor rwd. Its not about being the fastest car there because nobody will beat the formula cars and other race cars anyways. its about being the fastest car in your class.

yes... ok....

but i was answering this question

TheGrillMan
01-19-2008, 09:11 PM
ok i understand a little bit better it;ls all about the line and setting your car up so there is no understeer but no oversteer or as close as you can get to inbetween

i also understand it's not being the fastist overall but in your class

thank for the help guys repped if possible

Roadster
01-19-2008, 11:09 PM
DBT, the real question here is: what are you driving?

What wins autocrosses: 1. Knowing how to drive 2. Tires. 3. Power. (Albeit less important).

Weight is the enemy if you have a car with little power (like mine). But let's not forget, it's the big bruiser Corvettes that are usually the fastest at most autocrosses. Which illustrates: grip + power = fast.

Some course layouts do favor the big power cars, but on the tighter courses, the Miatas and Civics can run with the big power cars. It's all about sheer grip and driving ability.

I.E.....TIRES, most important factor aside from driver ability.

TheGrillMan
01-20-2008, 12:14 AM
DBT, the real question here is: what are you driving?

What wins autocrosses: 1. Knowing how to drive 2. Tires. 3. Power. (Albeit less important).

Weight is the enemy if you have a car with little power (like mine). But let's not forget, it's the big bruiser Corvettes that are usually the fastest at most autocrosses. Which illustrates: grip + power = fast.

Some course layouts do favor the big power cars, but on the tighter courses, the Miatas and Civics can run with the big power cars. It's all about sheer grip and driving ability.

I.E.....TIRES, most important factor aside from driver ability.

what are some of the big powerd cars besideds vettes?

thanks for the info

btw ill be attending my first few events in a 99 protege

StraightSix
01-20-2008, 08:47 AM
i see it like this.

I'm going to take issue with this because the first sentence is pretty much untrue. FWD cars typically have horrible balance. Think about it a second...*all* of the drive train weight is located above the front axles. So, that results in most FWD cars being nose heavy. That's also why FWD cars understeer so much. Drive a truly 50/50 RWD car and then drive something FWD, you should be able to feel the difference.

On to the OP's question, and to clarifiy some things.

Autocross is much more "about" the conservation of momentum than raw horsepower or torque. The line a driver takes will be key to this. An underpowered car will also teach you a lot about how to maintain momentum and that can be used to make a faster car , well, faster.

Atlanta Region SCCA seems to be pretty good about helping newbs. There will be more experienced drivers at the events that are willing to ride with you to help you learn the line for that course.

Once you get some seat time, then you can revisit the is FWD vs. RWD vs. AWD question and determine what will be right for you.

Thighs
01-20-2008, 11:49 AM
miatas are some of the BEST autox cars, especially for the money. ask straight6.

Elbow
01-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Yeah Miatas are a lot of fun, and CRX's and EF Civic's also murder an autocross track, setup right they can have no understeer and even oversteer.

atlantamx3
01-21-2008, 06:01 PM
You should definately get involved HERE:

www.soloatlanta.com

this in particular seems it would benefit you:

http://soloatlanta.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3575http://soloatlanta.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3575