PDA

View Full Version : New Threat on the U.S.

Salty12
08-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Freedom and Democracy has once again been threatened by cowards behind a camera. I just read this article on CNN http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/08/04/zawahiri.london/index.html
I guess they are wanting to affect us by having the citizens of our country live in fear. I can never understand how a group can claim to be so proud of their work and say that it is justifiable by an almighty power, yet hide and run like mice from the rest of the world.

Any thoughts?

AWD OWNZ U
08-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Now don't think in anyway shape or form I support or condone anything Al Qaeda does.

That being said, cowards? How do you figure? He's behind a camera because that's his job. Bush does the same thing, you don't see him in Iraq leading the troops do you? All you see is him on camera making threats. So by your definition he should be a coward too. They run and hide because that's the intelligent way for them to run a war like this. You may recall that we did the same thing in the revolutionary war. The British thought we were cowards but we wouldn't have a country if we had fought their way.

Salty12
08-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Bush makes public appearances, as does Tony Blair. Al Qaeda does not schedule press conferences or have formally announced meetings with their allies.

When we fought the british yes there were many ambushes and destruction of naval ships in deceptives ways, but we also confronted the enemy in battle. Each camp knew where the other was stationed. It was more of a "here we are and this is what we are going to do" on each side. That is not the case in the current war. The US has said here we are, and these are our tangable goals, Al Qaeda has yet to say anything of the such.

AWD OWNZ U
08-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Bush makes public appearances, as does Tony Blair. Al Qaeda does not schedule press conferences or have formally announced meetings with their allies.

I knew you were gonna say that. Its true, but he only does it in area we firmly control (which is most of the world). I'm sure if Al Qaeda had an entire country that was secure they would do the same. I'm also sure if Bush didn't he would not.

When we fought the british yes there were many ambushes and destruction of naval ships in deceptives ways, but we also confronted the enemy in battle. Each camp knew where the other was stationed. It was more of a "here we are and this is what we are going to do" on each side. That is not the case in the current war. The US has said here we are, and these are our tangable goals, Al Qaeda has yet to say anything of the such.

They confront us in battle every day man. Read the news most of the soldiers in Afghanistan are killed in gun battles. There just usually aren't as many casualities so its not covered as much. Honestly I don't think that's true about the revolutionary war. Its been a while since history, but I'd be shocked if any commander was stupid enough to give away all his troop positions. Al Qaeda has said what they want, us gone.

Salty12
08-04-2005, 12:55 PM
I agree on what you said about Bush making public appearances. He does speak in controlled enviroments.

As far as them battling us, they don't even wear uniforms. They don't follow the rules of war (i'm not going to try to spell geneva convention). Technically a soldier fighting in civilian clothes is not protected by the rules of war. And I am pretty sure beheading POW's is a war crime as well.

efman
08-04-2005, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=AWD OWNZ U]I knew you were gonna say that. Its true, but he only does it in area we firmly control (which is most of the world). I'm sure if Al Qaeda had an entire country that was secure they would do the same. I'm also sure if Bush didn't he would not.

umm dude up to a few years ago they did have that it was called afghanastan which they rented for a large some of money, history channel facts. but they still only had vidoes then and did'nt bush go to iraq ?

AWD OWNZ U
08-04-2005, 01:02 PM
As far as them battling us, they don't even wear uniforms. They don't follow the rules of war (i'm not going to try to spell geneva convention). Technically a soldier fighting in civilian clothes is not protected by the rules of war. And I am pretty sure beheading POW's is a war crime as well.

I didn't say they weren't criminals, I said they weren't cowards. It takes a lot of balls to fight an overwhelmingly superior force if you ask me. I'm also sure if we had been invaded by the commies and they were trying to destroy our way of life, you would be less strict in the "rules of war." Agree or not they truly believe we are basically trying to destroy their entire world, which is actually probably true its just is not necessarily a bad thing.

AWD OWNZ U
08-04-2005, 01:06 PM
umm dude up to a few years ago they did have that it was called afghanastan which they rented for a large some of money, history channel facts. but they still only had vidoes then and did'nt bush go to iraq?

I would hardly call Afghanastan secure at any point in time. Don't forget they were barely finished with an incredibly bloody civil war with the Soviets. Bin Laden was still a wanted man, I'm sure we would have caught him if he had scheduled an appearance hence not secure. No Bush went to an aircraft carrier and I'm sure he didn't give Bin Laden a heads up.

Salty12
08-04-2005, 01:09 PM
AWD,

what is your personal opinion on direct threats promised against the mainland on the U.S.? Just asking

AWD OWNZ U
08-04-2005, 01:30 PM
AWD,

what is your personal opinion on direct threats promised against the mainland on the U.S.? Just asking

In what sense? I'd love to sit here and say they are evil and its unbelievable what they are doing and I would never do anything like that. Frankly I'd be lying.

I don't think they are evil. I think most member of Al Qaeda are probably poorly educated poor young men who have been brainwashed by extremist clerics and leaders. It would be hard to sit and say that something is wrong when its all you've ever known for your whole life and everyone around you is telling you you are doing God's will and are going to be rewarded. Its easy for us to sit here detached and with a much broader view of life and tell them they are wrong but for the AQ foot soldiers I'm sure its a different view.

As for the leaders can you imagine how hard it would be for one of them to admit they were wrong? They are responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent people, to know that that was all for a false purpose I think would be beyond the ability of most people to accept. What do you think would happen if Saddam was found not guilty? Do you think we would apologize and give him his country back? Or do you think we would all scream that the trial was bullshit and he was a monster regardless of the truth? I don't know about anyone else but I have a hard enough time admitting I'm wrong in stupid petty situations let alone something that has cost thousands of lives.

As for I would never do what they are doing, I honestly don't know. I'd like to think I wouldn't but what if the situation were reveresed? If fundamentalist Islam were the norm and there were just a few rogue nations of democracy. Desperate times beget desperate measures and I know I would fight like hell to protect my way of life.

Salty12
08-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Well said.

And you know.. i don't have the attitude of "hey, let's go kick there ass and take there shit" I'm more laid back. I say we'll do our thing and you do yours. We won't force our way on you, you don't force your way on us. I, and probably millions others, couldn't have cared less what the hell they were doing over there untill 9-11. At that point they choose to put an end to the whole "let each other do your own thing" and choose to strike at us in because of their beliefs.

We went there for our own protection. I do believe that. I don't know.. there are so many variable involved. They way i see things is this. Let's say we don't like the way people live in Australia. They hate us, we hate them, that's cool. But as soon as they start building weapons that can be used against us, and we have a shadow of a doubt that they may attack, I would completly back a full invasion and forceful disarming of that country. That is our governments duty to us, to protect our way of life.

Just my opinion.. and i know we all have one and each is different.

*Australia was used as an example, please no one explain that we have no beef with Australia

AWD OWNZ U
08-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Well said.

And you know.. i don't have the attitude of "hey, let's go kick there ass and take there shit" I'm more laid back. I say we'll do our thing and you do yours. We won't force our way on you, you don't force your way on us. I, and probably millions others, couldn't have cared less what the hell they were doing over there untill 9-11. At that point they choose to put an end to the whole "let each other do your own thing" and choose to strike at us in because of their beliefs.

We went there for our own protection. I do believe that. I don't know.. there are so many variable involved. They way i see things is this. Let's say we don't like the way people live in Australia. They hate us, we hate them, that's cool. But as soon as they start building weapons that can be used against us, and we have a shadow of a doubt that they may attack, I would completly back a full invasion and forceful disarming of that country. That is our governments duty to us, to protect our way of life.

Just my opinion.. and i know we all have one and each is different.

*Australia was used as an example, please no one explain that we have no beef with Australia

I certainly agree with you in theory. Keep in mind that for them 9/11 was retaliation for us interfering with middle eastern politics. Like it or not we do have a habit of thrusting democracy on others. That's alright by me, because they can still chose a fundamentalist leader if they wish, re: Iran. As long as we are doing non-violently. Either way they certainly escalated the situation and I have no problem with us going into Afghanistan and dealing with the problem, in fact I fully support the idea. Iraq is another animal in my opinion.

efman
08-04-2005, 09:23 PM
I would hardly call Afghanastan secure at any point in time. Don't forget they were barely finished with an incredibly bloody civil war with the Soviets. Bin Laden was still a wanted man, I'm sure we would have caught him if he had scheduled an appearance hence not secure. No Bush went to an aircraft carrier and I'm sure he didn't give Bin Laden a heads up.
well if the damn towel head had cnn he probaly would've known lol ;)