PDA

View Full Version : Broken exhaust mani studs.. any suggestions?

SIL80det
08-04-2005, 12:20 AM
Well today I finally sourced a bad exhaust leak in my sr'd 240 that started a couple days ago. As my luck would have it my top, middle 2 exhaust manifold studs broke off inside the head. Of course they broke off 1/8" inside the head so I can't grab them with anything. I'm assuming I'll have to drill them out but I'm hesitant because I don't want to damage the aluminum head. If anyone has gone through this before please shoot some tips or suggestions my way... it would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Matt

flysi00
08-04-2005, 07:39 AM
take it to a shop u dont want to miss around with that unless u really know what u doing good luck tho

btw i saw u on barrett the other nite i was in the gray 240

HiPSI
08-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Well today I finally sourced a bad exhaust leak in my sr'd 240 that started a couple days ago. As my luck would have it my top, middle 2 exhaust manifold studs broke off inside the head. Of course they broke off 1/8" inside the head so I can't grab them with anything. I'm assuming I'll have to drill them out but I'm hesitant because I don't want to damage the aluminum head. If anyone has gone through this before please shoot some tips or suggestions my way... it would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Matt

go buy a couple bolt extractors (aka easy-out), and the proper sized drill bits for those extractors. you will of course have to take your manifold/turbo assembly out of the car to do it, but it's not that hard to DIY, especially on the 2 you said that broke. while you have all that out, replace all of your studs with new hardware so you're less prone to have another one shear on you.

SIL80det
08-05-2005, 12:52 AM
go buy a couple bolt extractors (aka easy-out), and the proper sized drill bits for those extractors. you will of course have to take your manifold/turbo assembly out of the car to do it, but it's not that hard to DIY, especially on the 2 you said that broke. while you have all that out, replace all of your studs with new hardware so you're less prone to have another one shear on you.

Yep that's exactly what I came up with today as well. I bought the extractor bits today so I'll just get my hands on a new hardware set and do it right. Too bad I don't have a few bucks laying around for a new manifold while everything is apart.