PDA

View Full Version : turbo

odie22
01-15-2008, 09:28 AM
would a 60 trim turbo be to big for my gsr???

Z U L8R
01-15-2008, 11:15 AM
heh, trim is the pitch (angle) of the wheel's. it is determined by the size of the inducer and the size of the exducer aka the small part of the turbine wheel and the large part.

just throwing it out there, but you could have a 60 trim t25, and a 60 trim t88, trim is not the size of the turbo, it's the angle that the turbine blades are.

turbo size depends on what your hp goals are, and hp goals are usually dependant upon how much money you have for the turbo as well as other necessary parts needed to support that particular HP reliably.

give Mainstream Performance (678-567-9384) a call and they can help you :goodjob:

good luck with it,
Dave =]

Sammich
01-15-2008, 11:16 AM
how do u determine what trim/angle blade you want...higher the pitch/angle/trim...better the horsepower gains am i right?

Z U L8R
01-15-2008, 11:33 AM
^ it depends on the size of the turbo, as well as the size of ur motor to determine what trim you wanna go with. trim will change the air flow characteristics of the turbo but more inline of response than power. as far as power that's more dictated by the a/r sizes of the compressor/exhaust housings of the turbo as well as the actual size of the blades. it all works together. too much one way and you lose this, too much the other way and you lose that. small turbo's spool quick but can't move too much air, therefore hp gains are restricted. big turbo's take longer to spool but move more air which is why they are capable of making more power. it's all give and take.

a garrett gt35/82r , the r means it's ball bearing, the gt is the gt series of garret turbos, the 35 means the inducer on the compressor wheel is 35mm and the 82 means the exducer on the compressor wheel is 82mm.

trim really doesn't mean **** when looking for the turbo for your car because it's typically dictated by the turbo manufacturer. they flow test the turbo with size X wheel and see how it responds, change the trim with the same size X wheel and see if it gets better or worse. once they get the optimum flow with X sized wheel, that's the trim they use when they sell this particular turbo. or they may offer this turbo with an X wheel in either an A trim or a B trim, the A may spool faster than B but B may be capable of more power than A. so the turbo company will give you the option of buying this particular turbo with the famous X sized wheel, in either an A or B trim depending on if you want faster spool or more power

if you're comparing a turbonetics gtk500 with a 50 trim to a gt35r with 60 trim, then you're getting closer to apples and apples, but if you were to compare these turbos on the same car as you and see which one spooled up quicker or made more power or both, then you'd be better off than just shopping for a turbo based on only what trim it has.

first thing is to decide how much hp you want, then see which turbo's on the market can support that HP number. then you find the smallest turbo that can support a little over your HP number and you have the perfect turbo for your application.

Dave

odie22
01-15-2008, 12:38 PM
wow u guys know whats going on...lol is there something i can read more a about this.... i bought a turbo kit from a friend of mine its a garrett turbo i know its a BIG size turbo and it has 60 trim stamped on the side... i just dont wont to blow up my acura didnt know if i need to go with a smaller turbo or not. my car is a stock gsr with a few bolt ons... i only wont 7psi

Sammich
01-15-2008, 12:53 PM
post pics of it...could be a t3/t4..or t4..u never know..post pics of all the stamps and what not on it