PDA

View Full Version : Misc Braves moving to Gwinnett

SE-Rious1
01-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Gwinnett is getting some money now days hell the braves are moving from richmond to here and the end of the 09" season WTF ??
can you say more traffic more people MO MONEY!!

TheGrillMan
01-15-2008, 12:24 AM
no money mo problems

SE-Rious1
01-15-2008, 12:25 AM
haha probley

Oz10
01-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Thats really cool. I wonder where there going to put a stadium?

Hulud
01-15-2008, 08:16 AM
lol at people freaking out over a minor league team coming to town

Spectic Tank
01-15-2008, 09:14 AM
lol at people freaking out over a minor league team coming to town

LOL...+1

can you say more traffic more people MO MONEY!!

No...because nobody goes to minor league games. People hardly go to the Braves games as it is.

Deke
01-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I don't think it's a good idea to put a minor league team in such close proximity to their major league counterpart, at least from a getting fans in the stands standpoint.

For instance, Augusta has the Greenjackets minor league team that gets decent attendance. But I feel if the Atlanta braves were only a 30-45 minute drive away, it would be a lot less.

ATK_Designs
01-15-2008, 09:55 AM
good riddance....no traffic going home for me....

quickdodge®
01-15-2008, 10:06 AM
No...because nobody goes to minor league games. People hardly go to the Braves games as it is.

But alas, you're mistaken. I can almost guarantee you that wherever they play, that minor league team will fill AT LEAST half the seats(if not much more). You got to realize that those games are A LOT cheaper to go to. No more than $10 for the best seats. Between all the surrounding counties, there are thousands of little league ball players that would fill the seats. Whole (little league) teams would probably go more often as a group outing. Minor league games feature a lot of fan interaction through out the game with "give-aways" almost every night. You will see future stars at these games and every player always comes out for autographs without any of the "ho hum" bullshiit. In this area, I think a minor league team would thrive. Later, QD.

Maniac1
01-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Great, this is going to suck major league balls.

On_Her_Face
01-15-2008, 10:54 AM
the braves used to be in my old town too, weird.

SE-Rious1
01-15-2008, 01:49 PM

Trust me if they build it they will come lol

On_Her_Face
01-15-2008, 01:52 PM
this would be good for a car meet/cook out before the game

speedminded
01-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Thats really cool. I wonder where there going to put a stadium?Rumor is near MOG... :ninja:

DieselNuts
01-15-2008, 02:36 PM
I pulled this from the Atlanta Business Chronicle

The county is exploring options with developers on a potential unspecified site along the Interstate 85 corridor. It will be mixed-use development with condominiums, retail, office and a ballpark to tie it all together.

SE-Rious1
01-15-2008, 02:53 PM
this would be good for a car meet/cook out before the game
x2

Spectic Tank
01-15-2008, 02:56 PM
But alas, you're mistaken. I can almost guarantee you that wherever they play, that minor league team will fill AT LEAST half the seats(if not much more).

Considering that this stadiums maximum capacity will probably be less than a 1/4 of Turner field's capacity...that isn't saying much, and that would hardly equate to "more traffic, more people, and more money"

DieselNuts
01-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Here you go:

There will soon be two Braves teams playing professional baseball in metro Atlanta, sometimes on the same day.

The Atlanta Braves will move their Class AAA minor-league team to Gwinnett County, according to people familiar with the deal.

Final details were being worked out Monday and a news conference has been scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Tuesday at Gwinnett Center, said Center spokesman Chris Hendley, who declined to discuss the topic.

The Class AAA Richmond Braves, the organization's highest-level minor-league affiliate, could play in Gwinnett as soon as 2009. The Braves' three-year contract at the Richmond, Va. stadium, known as The Diamond, runs through the 2010 season, but the Braves have the option to pull out after the 2008 season. A stadium for the Richmond Braves could be built on land the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners is expected to approve purchasing on Tuesday. Tuesday's commission agenda lists a $5 million "purchase and sale agreement" of about 12 acres of land owned by Brand Properties. Brand Morgan, Brand Properties owner, declined to comment on the sale or what the land will be used for, but did say he plans to attend a news conference at Gwinnett Center on Tuesday.

The land is located along Buford Drive, southeast of I-85 and near the Mall of Georgia.

A Braves spokesman said Monday the team would have no comment.

County Commissioner Mike Beaudreau declined to comment when asked if he knew of plans to relocate the franchise to metro Atlanta or whether the county was involved in the project.

County Commissioner Bert Nasuti said he couldn't talk about the situation, other than to say county officials are continuing to work extremely hard on bringing baseball to the county. "My hope is that we will be able to speak openly and in great detail on this in a short period of time," he said.

Demming Bass, a spokesman for the Gwinnett County Chamber of Commerce, also declined to comment, citing confidentiality agreements, and referred telephone calls to Preston Williams, general manager of the Gwinnett Center.

Williams was in a meeting, according to his assistant, and did not immediately return a telephone call.

The news came as a surprise to the city of Richmond, where the minor league team has played since 1966. Linwood Norman, press secretary to the mayor, said the city last heard from the Braves on Jan. 7. Richmond was negotiating a long-term lease to keep the Braves and had just asked for proposals to build a new stadium. "We haven't heard anything today," Norman said Monday afternoon.

The city had been dealing with Mike Plant, executive vice president of business operations with the Braves. "We would like to hear from him, if he would like to talk to us," Norman said.

The Richmond Braves will be the third professional franchise to play in Gwinnett, joining the Georgia Force of the Arena Football League and the Gwinnett Gladiators, a minor-league hockey franchise affiliated with the NHL's Atlanta Thrashers.

Gwinnett's minor-league field of dreams has been on the table for some time.

Last July, a consulting firm has concluded that the county provides "one of the strongest markets in the country to support a minor-league baseball team."

That conclusion was contained in a draft report of the study, which was prepared by Convention, Sports & Leisure International, a Minnesota-based consulting firm. The Gwinnett Convention & Visitors Bureau hired the firm to study the feasibility of building a baseball stadium for a minor-league team in Gwinnett.

The report showed that building and operating the stadium could create hundreds of jobs, generate up to $7 million in consumer spending every year and generate as much as $12 million in tax revenue over a 30-year period.

The report also put the price tag for building a stadium between $25 million and $30 million.

"It was a pretty detailed and thorough report," Williams told The Atlanta-Journal Constitution in July. "In comparing Gwinnett County with the demographics of other metro areas that already have minor-league franchises, in most all the categories it was in the top four or five."

Williams was a leading proponent of the new stadium.

Other highlights of the study:

• A Gwinnett stadium should have 5,500 permanent seats, grass seating for up 1,500 people, at least 16 private suites, 300 club seats and 2,300 parking spaces in walking distance of the stadium.

• The projected $890,000 to $1.5 million operating surplus for the stadium wouldn't be enough to pay off an annual debt of $2.1 million if the stadium were paid for by issuing bonds.

The Yousef
01-15-2008, 03:01 PM
their cars are going to get stolen.... :lmfao:

SE-Rious1
01-15-2008, 03:03 PM
man everytime they build a new Mcd's it brings more traffic and money so if we get a new team here its going to be alot to the locals plus gwinnett has way more ppl than richmond and atlanta together so when those atl peps and richmond peps come to see the league play its bringing them in.

Infamous_1
01-15-2008, 03:49 PM
that should be good for money but true about the traffic problems.

quickdodge®
01-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Considering that this stadiums maximum capacity will probably be less than a 1/4 of Turner field's capacity...that isn't saying much, and that would hardly equate to "more traffic, more people, and more money"

No one said anything about major league sized stadiums. But it supposed to hold around 9,000 people. Later, QD.

Spectic Tank
01-16-2008, 08:34 AM
No one said anything about major league sized stadiums. But it supposed to hold around 9,000 people. Later, QD.

My point eaxactly.

So even if they fill half the seats (which you ALMOST gaurantee)...that isn't really saying much.