PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods which k24 block for 06 type s?

big mac
01-13-2008, 11:26 PM
okay so my cousin has an 06 type s and is going to go with a k24 block on the type s head. he wants to go with the k24a2 but there is a guy with a k24a4 for a goog price. what would be best? the engine a both pretty similar with only stock compression, redline differing. any edvice would be great.:goodjob:

all-mota
01-14-2008, 05:00 PM
it depends how high he is wanting to turn the engine rpm wise the k24 out of the tsx is the best when it comes to stock redline and the element and crv have the same redline so if he is planning on keeping the engine stock bottom end then he would want the one from the tsx. if he plans on building it then it makes no difference

allmotoronly
01-14-2008, 08:55 PM
it depends how high he is wanting to turn the engine rpm wise the k24 out of the tsx is the best when it comes to stock redline and the element and crv have the same redline so if he is planning on keeping the engine stock bottom end then he would want the one from the tsx. if he plans on building it then it makes no difference

the TSX (K24A2) has a much higher compression ratio than the K24A4. It would respond much better to the K20A2 head than the K24A4 bottom end would.

[QUOTE=sc sleeper]okay so my cousin has an 06 type s and is going to go with a k24 block on the type s head. he wants to go with the k24a2 but there is a guy with a k24a4 for a goog price. what would be best? the engine a both pretty similar with only stock compression, redline differing. any edvice would be great.:goodjob:

For the money, he would be better off going with a complete K24A2 longblock, and selling his K20A2 head. The K24A2 is capable of almost 200whp STOCK. Hondata dynoed a stock 2006 TSX with just a ECU reflash and it made something like 198 whp, with a peak gain around 25 whp. In a RSX, with full exuast, RBC intake manifold and hondata adaptor, and a good CAI, (with the ECU reflash of course) it should make somewhere around 210whp or more.

This would be the most RELIABLE and easiest thing to do. Once you start swapping the head and all that, there is always a greater chance of problems (for one, higher lift cams in any K24A engine can cause a greater chance of valve to piston contact on the intake side. The RSX VTC cam gear has more degrees of cam advance, where as the K24A2 head only has about 20 degrees. The max on any K24A with a K20A or K24A2 head should be no more than 45 degrees). Unless your cousin plans on building the engine, I would go with the most reliable route. Nothing sucks worse than having a bad ass built engine that has a bunch of bugs that you cant work out.

Truegiant
01-14-2008, 09:08 PM
^^^ I could not have said it better myself!! ^^^ repped.

lxpaulxl
01-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Go with the K24A2 block, which is the 2006 TSX motor. I would recommend looking on Clubrsx for more information about it. There is someone here who has done the k20/k24 swap using the K24A2 block.

DC5-Shizzle
01-14-2008, 11:51 PM
So if you say it's just better off to keep a complete motor instead of doing a frank, would you recommend just dropping the type-r pistons in the k20 and raising the comp. to 11.5:1,
i want to build a daily driven reliable motor and i want to be able to rev to atleast 8500, the reason i was interested in the doing the k20/k24 was because of the gain in torque, but it seems like i could only rev to like 7000 or it wouldn't be safe to rev higher, even if it was built would the stress at higher engine speeds still be an issue.

It would be alot more expensive to have a built k24 bottom end, but could it be just as reliable as a stock k20 with the type -r pistons?

allmotoronly
01-15-2008, 07:17 AM
So if you say it's just better off to keep a complete motor instead of doing a frank, would you recommend just dropping the type-r pistons in the k20 and raising the comp. to 11.5:1,
i want to build a daily driven reliable motor and i want to be able to rev to atleast 8500, the reason i was interested in the doing the k20/k24 was because of the gain in torque, but it seems like i could only rev to like 7000 or it wouldn't be safe to rev higher, even if it was built would the stress at higher engine speeds still be an issue.

It would be alot more expensive to have a built k24 bottom end, but could it be just as reliable as a stock k20 with the type -r pistons?

The K24A2 can safely rev to 7600rpm. It would not really be any more expensive to build a K24A2 bottom end than a K20A2 bottom end. Parts are all about the same price.

Z33_kid
01-15-2008, 10:24 PM
tsx motor even tho its pricey its the best why does he wanna swap ?

DC5-Shizzle
01-15-2008, 10:56 PM
lol im the cuzin he's talkin bout........i was just tryn to take a look at the options at hand before i drop any money....

big mac
01-16-2008, 09:14 AM
^^^^
yeah i got my mad jdm headlights for the cobalt at the flea market too ...lol.