PDA

View Full Version : s2k power steering issues..right hand drive swap

loudap1
01-13-2008, 12:46 AM
anyone have any problems or mishaps with the power steering on their s2k's? or know any real in depth knowledge about them. i feel like i have shaken every tree trying to find the info i need to get mine back working. only piece i have left to trouble shoot is the sensor on the input shaft on the ps rack itself but changing that sensor involves pulling the column and rack back out of the car and taking the rack apart which i have done with my extra rack and its a real ***** to put together so i would like to see if there is somethign else i am overlooking before i do that. my car is right hand drive so that steering rack was hard to get my hands on and the only other in america i found was broken from the get go so its only around for a few parts.

the problems i am having is when everything is plugged up and you start the car the eps light on the dash IS NOT on, until you turn the wheel either direction. just the slightest input of the steering wheel and the rack starts turning left to right all on its own, not lock to lock but maybe a 1/4 turn left and right rapidly and it does not stop until you disconnect the rack or cut the key off. i cant really take it to a dealership to get it hooked up to the factory scan tool that reads the power steering computer because of the right hand drive they dont really wanna fool with something not stock without ripping a new one or blaming the conversion for whats wrong. any help would be awesome or if you own an s2k maybe tell me the order in which the tree plugs on the ps computer are connected in. 2 of the 3 plugs on the computer there are the same shape and will plug in either way. those are the plugs with two heavy gauge wires. one has green and red wire which goes to the rack (output) other one had white/red and black (input) power from the fuse block and relay is white/red, black is the ground. i need to know if the green and red harness is on the rear of the computer towards the firewall or front closer to the shock tower. thanks alot. this post is a bit long but i needed to be thurough.

afwfjustin
01-14-2008, 01:16 AM
I don't know but why on earth did you want to convert it to rhd?

cdhtang
01-14-2008, 11:42 AM
yeah, why right hand drive?

loudap1
01-14-2008, 11:29 PM
because i most likely get one from japan.. i wanted a big project, got the parts for a good price, working on cars is what i do for a living. it just made sense.

afwfjustin
01-15-2008, 01:52 AM
I dunno, the time taken for a project that big you could have just fit an LS1 :D

AnthonyF
01-15-2008, 08:00 AM
because i most likely get one from japan.. i wanted a big project, got the parts for a good price, working on cars is what i do for a living. it just made sense.

then i guess you should be able to figure out where you fuk'd up at.

SRCRX
01-15-2008, 08:07 AM

Damm, you got a point!!

Dietcoke
01-15-2008, 09:57 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TRYMY4.0 again. :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :goodjob:

loudap1
01-15-2008, 01:02 PM
well thanks for the help, seeing how we dont have a factory dealership diagnostic stuff at the shop i work at i cant see whats wrong within the computer but thanks guys for the help. i'll figure it out on my own

Vteckidd
01-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Is the problem occuring now that the car is RHD, have you already done the conversion?

loudap1
01-15-2008, 07:40 PM
yes it is the car has been up and running for about 3 or 4 weeks now. i have the rhd ps computer in the car and rack. i also have a spare rhd rack however the shaft is broken in it but the senors and guts of it are good so im at the shop right now and i have switched the sensors out of the broken rack into the rack thats in the car, still same problem when i start it up and turn the steering wheel. it would be really helpful if i knew what the correct voltage at the rack is supposed to be. i put the meter on the 2 heavy gauge wires and got around 2.35 on both the green wire and the red. this is at idle ( i believe voltage and speed work together to adjust the steering sensitivity i think so i cant test the voltage other than at idle). the 3 wires that connect to the input shaft on the steering rack are metering at about 4.4-4.6. also do not know what those are supposed to be at. even with the left hand drive ps computer still getting the same results. im now about to start tracing the wires back through the harness just to make sure nothing is shorted or broken and such. if all else fails maybe i can find a shop or one of the dealerships that has the computer that will read the ps computer but i really dont wanna spend a hundred bucks or so for them to tell me " your power steering isnt working", i already know that.

Vteckidd
01-15-2008, 07:55 PM
hmmm,

Im sorry i dont know enough about PS systems to be able to diagnose them if they dont work. Usually its as simple as a pump or line.

Unfortunetly you are doing a one of a kind swap, so there wont be much info.

your best bet is to look in a USDM S2000 Service manual (HELMS) and go through the trouble shooting in there

xb1
01-16-2008, 09:43 PM
there are places out there that have the same mastertech that honda uses, but don't tell anyone at HOA about it...........

xb1
01-16-2008, 09:44 PM
And you're certain it isn't a VGS steering rack?

xb1
01-16-2008, 09:58 PM
and ask the guys at N1 about it:
http://nwp4life.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=11798

loudap1
01-21-2008, 06:04 PM
vgs rack? do explain. the rack came from a different half cut than the donor car that supplied the rest of the parts and ps computer. the car the ps computer came from had factory nav. not sure about the half cut the rack came from. the rack was the only part left from that car and the guy had is setting around his shop for almost 2 years. i swapped out sensors the other night from my broken rhd rack as well as my lhd rack. still got the same results. im affraid i have over looked something or its something more than i can hang with. about the only problem i can think now is maybe the pins on the ecu are different than the jdm one never seen a pin out for the jdm ecu so i have no clue as to if its the same as the american one or not. i do know that the guy i got the parts car from in tennessee has the jdm ecu so maybe i can see if he will let me plug it up in my car and see how that works. next question anyone know if the engine wiring harnesses are different from the jdm and american s2k? someone wrote on one of these a while back that they had some big troubles out of their swap because of something about the wiring harness didnt get switched or the ecu something and it didnt work. would love to be sure of this before i toast my car.

afwfjustin
01-21-2008, 10:07 PM
VGS is variable gear steering - which is available in Japan. Are you using your old steering wheel or the new imported one? If it's the imported one you'd know because the wheel is shaped differently and says VGS on it.

I'd look up the part number of the rack if you can.

loudap1
01-26-2008, 09:33 PM
using my old wheel. my halfcut didnt have a wheel. air bags busted so i guess they trashed the steering wheel. i do have the rest of the complete column. doesnt seem like the steering wheel itself would have anything to do with it seeing how there are not any electrical connections on the wheel itself. tomorrow when i go to the shop im gonna try hooking up the lhd rack and ps computer and see if it functions normally. if it does then that will knock out a few possible problems so i can shorten my check list. i have no idea how to look up the part number of the jdm rack. i may can get in touch with the guy that purchased the rear half of that car.. maybe the vgs badge was still on the deck lid. its a long shot but then again i did find 2 rhd steering racks in the same day. one five minutes from the house so i guess anythings possible. thanks for the help if i cant get the electrical ps working im gonna find a r32 or 3 or rhd fd rack and convert it to hydaulic steering.

afwfjustin
01-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Yeah I only mentioned the steering wheel because the VGS wheel looks completely different.

Good luck! Post pictures!

iNsTuN nOoDoH
01-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Short the scs connector, set the wheel straight and turn the ignition on. Are there any codes stored? That's where I would start. If it don't, then you're probably best to take it to a dealer and ask them to scan it. It could be anything...a bad gearbox motor in the rack or the EPS control unit is bad, or just bad wiring if you did any rewiring.

loudap1
01-28-2008, 07:49 PM
well only wiring done on the power steering stuff was just cut extend and re solder the wires so they could make it where they need to go. actually did alot of wiring in the car. lots of extending of harnesses. i soldered and heat strink on every single wire in the car that was extended and i did so by cutting each wire one by one and completing it to eliminate the possiblitly of anything getting crossed up or switch with another wire and yanked on every joint to make sure they would not fail. not sure if any of you guys have ever taken an s2k rack apart... it is not fun im pretty sure nasa helped honda build that thing i wanna shake down every last option before i take that rack apart to to inspect the insides of it. i did however today call all over the place checking where i got my parts from to make sure i dont have a vgs this or that hooked up to a non vgs part and as best as can tell my donor car and the racks i got from two other cars are just regular ass s2k's. thanks for the help guys i will try to post pictures i dont know how to resize them so they will fit on here, but i'll try. have alot of them on my myspace page (dont laugh)