PDA

View Full Version : Short Throw Question

AlanŽ
01-12-2008, 08:41 PM
I just installed my short throw and correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they were supposed to sit lower than stock. :thinking: Mine actually sits higher. The throws are shorter but it just doesnt seem right. IDK. Here's the pics.

Stock.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/midnightracer05/eclipse/HPIM1223.jpg

Ralco
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/midnightracer05/eclipse/HPIM1236.jpg

Maniac1
01-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Are the throws shorter though?

HalfBaked
01-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Are the throws shorter though?
He said they were.

More importantly, why waste money on a short throw for an eclipse gt?

Maniac1
01-12-2008, 08:44 PM
He said they were.

More importantly, why waste money on a short throw for an eclipse gt?Oops.. i missed that part haha. if they're short, than why does it matter?

TallGuy
01-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Its a short ****throw**** shifter not a shorter shifter man... function over fashion....

AlanŽ
01-12-2008, 08:55 PM
He said they were.

More importantly, why waste money on a short throw for an eclipse gt?
cause the stock one fcukin sucks

TypeRPersonality
01-12-2008, 08:56 PM
The way the knobs are threaded might cause the slight visual difference.

AlanŽ
01-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Its a short ****throw**** shifter not a shorter shifter man... function over fashion....
i hear ya just seems like the B&M actually sits lower in addition to throwing shorter

AlanŽ
01-12-2008, 08:59 PM
The way the knobs are threaded might cause the slight visual difference.
no it sits higher look at the boot its streched to the limit gotta see if i can let some slack out of it

TypeRPersonality
01-12-2008, 09:01 PM
I meant how deep the shift knob is threaded. Most likely the threads sit far back in the stock shift knob, while the aftermarket is threaded closer to the bottom of the knob. When I switched my knob to an aftermarket one, it sat one inch lower. Try putting your stock knob on the short shifter.

AlanŽ
01-12-2008, 09:08 PM
I meant how deep the shift knob is threaded. Most likely the threads sit far back in the stock shift knob, while the aftermarket is threaded closer to the bottom of the knob. When I switched my knob to an aftermarket one, it sat one inch lower. Try putting your stock knob on the short shifter.
i dont think you understand what im sayin THE SHIFTER THE WHOLE THING IS HIGHER. I compared the two before instalation side by side and the new one is actually longer. IDK i guess i just wasn't expecting it to sit this high.

TypeRPersonality
01-12-2008, 09:30 PM
i dont think you understand what im sayin THE SHIFTER THE WHOLE THING IS HIGHER. I compared the two before instalation side by side and the new one is actually longer. IDK i guess i just wasn't expecting it to sit this high.

Okay. I guess I didn't understand before. If you like the feel of it. You could do this to it then.

http://www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-knob/knob.shtml

AlanŽ
01-12-2008, 09:41 PM
you are so lame, get off IA. If you want a shorter shifter cut it, or fab it up.
:rolleyes: Don't know what your problem is but everytime i post something you come in don't contribute and just bash so why not just avoid me all together. The reason I asked is because I wanted to make sure I installed it correctly. K? THNX :goodjob: BYE

itsnotarex
01-12-2008, 09:50 PM
I just put a Kartboy in my car. The height is almost equal to stock, maybe even a little taller, as the boot stretches a but more than normal when shifting, but the throws are definitely shorter, so as long as that's the case don't worry about it.

AlanŽ
01-12-2008, 09:52 PM
yea i guess your right I wounder like i said to let any slack out of the boot cause its almost too tall

itsnotarex
01-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I was just going to edit my post but IA is having issues.

It's important to note that a short shifter isn't actually shorter lever necessarily, it's just a change in the geometry of the linkage and the shift lever. It rases the coupling to the linkage up a little bit, so it doesn't really matter how short the lever is.

AlanŽ
01-12-2008, 10:00 PM
I was just going to edit my post but IA is having issues.

It's important to note that a short shifter isn't actually shorter lever necessarily, it's just a change in the geometry of the linkage and the shift lever. It rases the coupling to the linkage up a little bit, so it doesn't really matter how short the lever is.
I realize that like I said I was just worried I installed it wrong or something. But i talked to someone on the eclipse forums seems like everything is ok. I gotta see if I ca nlet some slack out of the boot though cause it's so tall you almost have to force it back cause the boot is so tight

1NonlyAccord
01-12-2008, 10:00 PM
the Greddy Trust shift knobss are pretty much fully threaded through,so itl lower the apperance a little.friend has one on his 98 civic hatch and the shift boot like sinks in its so short looking. that might help if you have an extra 80$or w.e left for a damn shift knob.

bandydesign
01-12-2008, 10:03 PM
You know geometrically speaking if the shifter is taller it has a shorter throw.

antiv6
01-13-2008, 02:34 AM
You know geometrically speaking if the shifter is taller it has a shorter throw.
how so? i think its the opposit

For the record my short throw is about an inch lower then stock height wise, but shifters can very, theres a few for each car and all have different aspects about them, i wouldnt worry about the height if everything seems fine, maybe get a new handle?

bandydesign
01-13-2008, 06:48 PM
how so? i think its the opposit

For the record my short throw is about an inch lower then stock height wise, but shifters can very, theres a few for each car and all have different aspects about them, i wouldnt worry about the height if everything seems fine, maybe get a new handle?

Yah, I got that one wrong. But if you can move the pivot point higher then its a shorter throw.

blackshine007
01-13-2008, 07:14 PM
We had this discussion on another site that I'm on a while back ago. But in a nutshell, When you are trying to go for a short throw shifter, the point below the pivot point has to be longer. If you shorten the top half of the pivot point you increase the effort needed to move the shifter in the same in the same manner. But a properly designed shifter usually has those aspects in mind. I built my own shifter and I purposely made the top half longer and put the shifter closer to my driving position. I also increased the lower portion of my shifter by 1/2 inch to shorten the throws. It looks stock and yet works way better. I wouldn't worry about the shifter being taller. It's probably working out better your your good

jew_boy
01-13-2008, 07:20 PM
does it matter if it shorter if it to tall just cut that sh!t lol

itsnotarex
01-13-2008, 07:52 PM
does it matter if it shorter if it to tall just cut that sh!t lol

I've actually seen some people do this. Just make sure you use the right tools, and you can take it to a machine shop to redo the thread for you.

That, or pick up one of those drawstring shift boots from autozone?