PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler question

DarKStaR
01-12-2008, 06:06 PM
I have a gsr bottom end being built by a buddy of mine, and he called today and asked about missing an oil cooler...He said it looked like someone bypassed it or something about making it like a b16. I told him i wasnt sure since my friend i got the block from died during the summer. He said that he has always seen gsr's and itr's with oil coolers. I know my LS didnt have one and i dont remember seeing it on a few of my friends b16s and gsr's. I just wanted to know if it is manditory that you have one?

AnthonyF
01-12-2008, 06:14 PM
im pretty sure GSR's dont come with oil coolers. but im not a honda guy. he can always get a aftermarket one made. or just look on ebay for one.

11psiGSR
01-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Early model GSR's (94-95) came with an oil coolers. It was basically a sandwich plate between the filter and the block that used the cars coolant lines to bring the oil temps down.

They were eliminated on all 96+ GSR's. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe ITR's did not use them either.

My oil cooler was removed 8 years ago and has not been on the car since. Unless you are doing some serious track time, you likely will not need one. If you are doing serious track time, you will probably need something better than the stock cooler anyway.

Hope that helps!

AnthonyF
01-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Early model GSR's (94-95) came with an oil coolers. It was basically a sandwich plate between the filter and the block that used the cars coolant lines.They were eliminated on all 96+ GSR's.
kool. learned something new.

My oil cooler was removed 8 years ago and has not been on the car since. Unless you are doing some serious track time, you likely will not need one.

Hope that helps!

true, if ur n/a ya dont really need it. if you are boosted it does help.

DarKStaR
01-12-2008, 11:18 PM
thanks, saves me some money lol