PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Clogging up EGR will give you power?!?!?!?!?!

integar94
01-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Have anybody ever tried this before? Clogging up a EGR will give you more power at high rpm because no exhaust gas is being recirculated into the combustion chamber therefore it wouldnt dilute the a/f mixture which mean more a/f will be in the C.C therefore MORE POWER!!!!!!! Try it and lmk what happen. I feel a little difference but again, it might just be all in my head.

Jblizzard
01-11-2008, 07:11 PM
how is that a smart way to get power?

Dietcoke
01-13-2008, 03:48 AM
Thread of the year nominee

IOnlyLookStock
01-13-2008, 04:37 AM
Thread of the year nominee

Plus 1. Its got my vote!

2.0 under pressure
01-13-2008, 05:10 AM
Right next to direct exhaust injection FTL!

Elbow
01-13-2008, 07:54 AM
It will get you about 1-2whp

Scotsman
01-13-2008, 08:01 AM
it will eventually get you a f'd motor

EmminoDaGreat
01-13-2008, 08:45 AM
no really the only thing egr does is help with lowering emissions and keeping cylinder temps down. So removing it can pick up a lil power.

R32Dragon
01-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Some helpful info on the subject

During WOT (wide open throttle), the ECM shuts down EGR. Since EGR will play no role whatsoever under WOT, it will not impede the engine's ability to generate horsepower.

So what would someone gain by disabling EGR? Just about the only thing would be less parts under the hood. Basically, removing EGR gives you more space (although not much). To correctly disable EGR from your vehicle, you MUST at the very least, disable it in the prom. This is done by setting the minimum temperature to enable EGR to 151 degrees Celsius (maximum allowable temperature), and setting the minimum vehicle speed to enable EGR to 255 mph (maximum allowable speed). Since the engine will never reach either of these conditions, EGR will never be requested by the ECM. Since EGR will never be requested, it does not matter if you leave the EGR system all installed in its original place, or if you remove it from the car. If you decide to remove it, you will need an EGR block off plate to cover the hole in the intake manifold.

If you simply remove the EGR system from the car, but do not disable it in the ECM, you will run into significant problems. You will likely run into detonation, the engine will run very poorly, lack power, and will probably run on the hot side as well. The ECM alters fuel and spark advance when it thinks EGR should be on. If no EGR flow is possible because you removed it, you will have a lean condition.

Vteckidd
01-13-2008, 12:08 PM
It keeps cylinder temps down, if you remove it, cylinder temps go up=Detonation

You CAN remove it, just make sure you tune the car. on a stock setup i hardly doubt itll do anything for power.

Tech5
01-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Its in your head !!!!
Have anybody ever tried this before? Clogging up a EGR will give you more power at high rpm because no exhaust gas is being recirculated into the combustion chamber therefore it wouldnt dilute the a/f mixture which mean more a/f will be in the C.C therefore MORE POWER!!!!!!! Try it and lmk what happen. I feel a little difference but again, it might just be all in my head.

polishammer
01-13-2008, 09:21 PM
There is only one reason for EGR and it is to help emmisions by decreasing ammount of NOx your engine produces. This is accomplished by introduction of an inert gas, gas that does not burn (exhaust), thus reducing the combustion temperatures. In theory removing EGR will rise your combustion temperature, which in turn will make the combustion more complete, which in turn will yeld more power. Again, gains will be minimal and for street purpose not worth messing with it. Unless you are full race and each hp is critical, leave it on...
BTW, removing EGR is also :police: