PDA

View Full Version : Changing oil to synthetic

streetdreamz
01-10-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm thinking about switching my car's oil from conventional to synthetic. It's my wife's car so there's nothing special about it. My purpose for wanting to switch is because I have to change it so frequently (less than every 3 months). Should I do full synthetic or a blend? If I use 5w30 now what weight would I use in a synthetic?

streetdreamz
01-10-2008, 08:17 PM
anybody? suggestions?

hondaxpurt
01-10-2008, 08:33 PM
i use mobil 1 synthetic 10w40

Kaiser
01-11-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm thinking about switching my car's oil from conventional to synthetic. It's my wife's car so there's nothing special about it. My purpose for wanting to switch is because I have to change it so frequently (less than every 3 months). Should I do full synthetic or a blend? If I use 5w30 now what weight would I use in a synthetic?

If you have a modified car, or if you beat on your car alot, you should want to take care of it. Synthetic won't die quite as quickly as synthetic, but you should still change it every 3,000 or so because of the dirt that builds up in the oil that will eventually get deposited other places, build up where it's not supposed to, and cause sludge.

But yes, if you are trying to get more mileage out of an oil change then go with the full synthetic, if she drives less than 1,000 miles a month (that's 250 miles a week, mind you, so that's a low number) then going full synthetic and stretching the time period between oil changes shouldn't cause problems.

And as for weight, you should use what your manufacturer recommends, always, with one exception: If you aftermarket Turbo a motor, switch to a 5/10-40, and if you go big turbo, consider moving up to a specialty synthetic 5-50 designed for high-heat producing big turbos.

blaknoize
01-11-2008, 10:06 AM
But this goes against my thinking. If... u broke your motor in on natural oil, shouldnt u stay with it? And if it happens to be classified as a high mileage motor I would assume u wouldnt want to tramatize your motor by changing so quickly. Cuz... if she doesnt really drive it anywhere, y change it to something more expensive anyway? Thats just being lazy.

Panda_240
01-11-2008, 10:18 AM
you can use syntec blend with convetional oil but is not as good as full sunthec, now if you go full is going to get expensive so once you start using full synthec you cant go back to conventional with out doing an engine flush.

Vayda
01-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Out of curiosity, why can't you go back to conventional after using synthetic? People are always telling me this, but no one gives a reason. I recently sold my toyota camry, which had been running on full synthetic for quite some time. When i sold it, the new owner immediately took it and changed the oil, went back to conventional. It had been on synthetic for at least four oil changes....but it is fine now, no problems from going back to the conventional.

No oil change guy has ever looked at me and said "is your car running synthetic or conventional?" and you'd think if it could hurt the car they would not just assume and put conventional in my car.

blaknoize
01-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Cuz oil change guys are retarded and will never ask that question.

wesolayo
01-11-2008, 01:00 PM
How many miles are on the car?
Changing a high mileage motor over to synthetic is not only bad for that engine, but a complete waste of money as well.
Any mechanic I've ever spoke to with built motors or track cars all ran conventional oil. I swapped my old NX2K over to synthetic from conventional, thinking I would get some great improvement, and after I did, I noticed it always had a little bit of a top-end tick to it, and it seemed like it brought out some small leaks that I never noticed before as well.
I would recommend just running an OEM filter, and some quality oil. I personally like Mobil oil, as I've never had a problem with it.
Hope that helps.

Kaiser
01-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Rawr. I decided after thinking about a nice big post while watching Heartbreak Ridge that the better idea is to send you guys to BITOG.

Bob is the Oil Guy (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/)

Do the same research I did, and look around there. It's got more answers than you've got questions.