PDA

View Full Version : Headlights; get more life out of 'em

bandydesign
01-08-2008, 12:58 PM
http://www.vertar.com/media/meguiars-plastx-cleaner-polish_3_1.jpg
Meguirs PlastX

You can buy this stuff at Autozone probably even Wal-Mart. Use a sponge to apply it then wipe it off with a microfibre cloth. Works pretty well!

Here's my Ranger headlights. Its worth it considering to throw out your headlight housings and buy new ones is soo overpriced!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i266/kevinbandy1/IA/IMG_0048.jpg

§treet_§peed
01-08-2008, 02:20 PM
OR!!!!!!! you could just do what i have done. all you need is to get a decent buffer, get some Nu Finish or whatever the hell that cheap **** is at waly orld in the yellow bottle , its a brand of car poish, and some micro fiber clothes. put a little on buff the hell out of them and wipe the off pretty good and there you go even cheaper!!

Crazy Asian
01-08-2008, 02:28 PM
make sure to clear coat your headlights. I forgot taht and in months it was hazy again.

bandydesign
01-08-2008, 02:30 PM
lol, I know I probably didn't choose the cheapest option. In fact, I tried toothpaste before and did an OK job. Just thought I'd share my results.

aaronfelipe
01-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks,

bandydesign
01-08-2008, 02:32 PM
make sure to clear coat your headlights. I forgot taht and in months it was hazy again.

Clearcoat? As in paint??

aaronfelipe
01-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Yep. They sell cans at Autozone. It's for wheels but basically the same thing.

§treet_§peed
01-08-2008, 03:53 PM
i'm not hating on you dude still a good quick cheap fix. hmmm i've never clear coated mine and they lasted a good while.. but good point cause i know a bunch of people who do that and it does last.. i just keep mine clean lol

TypeRPersonality
01-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Works even better if you wetsand it first. And clearcoat isn't really necessary, just be sure to polish your headlights when you clean your car.

bandydesign
01-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Im always afraid to take any of the bodsy work techniques to clear plastic. Im afraid of swirl marks and paint distortion drips runs and errors. I need to have all of the details of grit paint type etc. before I am willing to take those techniques to the optics of my vehicle. This just shows what I don't know about this. Thanks for the tips and insight everyone.

blaknoize
01-08-2008, 05:24 PM
OR!!!!!!! you could just do what i have done. all you need is to get a decent buffer, get some Nu Finish or whatever the hell that cheap **** is at waly orld in the yellow bottle , its a brand of car poish, and some micro fiber clothes. put a little on buff the hell out of them and wipe the off pretty good and there you go even cheaper!! LOL OR... :idb: ur girl up against the headlights and see what happens :D

blaknoize
01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Rubbing compound also works, at least on glass. It might render a similar result.

khaxnguyen
01-08-2008, 09:58 PM
YUPS!!! that's what i use!! wooot woooot... i polished my jdm headlights. they are great.....well i didnt seem like you wet sanded it.. use 1000 and then 1500 or skip 1500 and go to 2000. that's what i did :ninja: lolllll
****do u really have to clear coat it?

takume
01-09-2008, 09:45 AM
I am not sure about the clear coat. But it can only last for about a month.

khaxnguyen
01-09-2008, 12:37 PM

hrmmm are you forreal about the haze? What was your process? i wetsanded with 2000 as my final grit and hand buffed it. I want to know so i can clear it... i'd rather have it clear but i wont if it's unecessary.

khaxnguyen
01-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Ive wasted so much time fixing mine. I wetsanded up to 2000 twice, and I missed spots each time. When I run water over the headlights they look perfect, and after I use a bunch of meguiars plastix it looks decent, but it never stays great. Anyone try the kits at autozone or pepboys?

ermm if ur headlights have clear on them already.. i think u're suppose to sand down the clear, thus removing it.. then 2000 grit.. then buff it. i left a small spot on my headlights witha bit of clear on them, they still look blurry..
** and there is a kit(i think). it comes in a bag at aap for $20. kinda expensive, it has a two or three step process

Crazy Asian
01-09-2008, 03:36 PM
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285498

PlastX is a great way to do your headlight but Ya there are some talks about clear coating the headlgiht but I wont work effectively. Headlights are plastic and after absorbing all the sunlight they start to oxidixe bad so I really dont think it's gonna work but ya I though about it doing it to my car.

TypeRPersonality
01-09-2008, 04:49 PM
My headlights nor my friend's have gone hazy again. I just hit it with more polish each time I clean my car. PlastX won't make it look new, but much better than before.

bandydesign
01-09-2008, 06:36 PM
ermm if ur headlights have clear on them already.. i think u're suppose to sand down the clear, thus removing it.. then 2000 grit.. then buff it. i left a small spot on my headlights witha bit of clear on them, they still look blurry..
** and there is a kit(i think). it comes in a bag at aap for $20. kinda expensive, it has a two or three step process

Question: Are you suggesting that there is a factory applied clearcoat on headlights??

khaxnguyen
01-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Question: Are you suggesting that there is a factory applied clearcoat on headlights??

yesh, but on the JDM headlight, though. they are plastic. :goodjob: I'm not too familiar with ALL headlights. i dont think plastic would peel and bubble up like what was on the head lights. and are u assuming that i am wrong... seems like it u're implying that in your question. well i think i can tell it was the clear that was peeling from my headlights and i really doubt all headlights have clear on them because my USDM ones didnt seem to have clear coat..

khaxnguyen
01-09-2008, 08:16 PM
oh and in the post before the previous one, i stated IF**** he had clear coat

=D just trying to help.. :D

bandydesign
01-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Yah, thanks, I was just wondering.