PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods xs power turbo kits?

GaGen2Teg
01-06-2008, 11:26 PM
are these any good? they seem cheap but are they reliable. Im not trying to make huge numbers i just want to boost my DA around 7-9 psi no higher. any info will be greatly appreciated thank you!

RandomGuy
01-07-2008, 01:46 AM
manifolds crack (unless its one of the case iron ones, not the UBER BLING BLING "tubular/ramhorn" manifold.)

oil lines melt right thru (yes)

intercoolers/ hardpipes are good (proven)

bov and wastegates are debatable (i've used them, havent had a problem. some people have)

Turbos are proven crap (slow spooling and will blow seals for no reason, sometimes they wont... but crappily made on a whole)

so yeah with that said... just peice it together yourself... get a b series cast iron manifold... a junk yard real garrett turbo like saab 900 (100-200$)-->will spool much faster than the ebay crap t04e 57 trim BS... ... a knockoff wastegate/bov... ebay piping/ fmic.... make your own oil line at barnets performance.... modify an ebay downpipe to bolt to the saab turbo... get a crome chip and some injectors and you're good.

GaGen2Teg
01-07-2008, 11:05 AM
so how much am i looking at for all that?

manifolds crack (unless its one of the case iron ones, not the UBER BLING BLING "tubular/ramhorn" manifold.)

bov and wastegates are debatable (i've used them, havent had a problem. some people have)

Turbos are proven crap (slow spooling and will blow seals for no reason, sometimes they wont... but crappily made on a whole)

so yeah with that said... just peice it together yourself... get a b series cast iron manifold... a junk yard real garrett turbo like saab 900 (100-200$)-->will spool much faster than the ebay crap t04e 57 trim BS... ... a knockoff wastegate/bov... ebay piping/ fmic.... make your own oil line at barnets performance.... modify an ebay downpipe to bolt to the saab turbo... get a crome chip and some injectors and you're good.

RandomGuy
01-07-2008, 03:23 PM
so how much am i looking at for all that?u can get a sh!tty ebay kit for like 800 bux (which doesnt include everything)

or u can get semi-decent parts and it'll equal up to around 1000-1200$ for everything (start to finish)

iNsTuN nOoDoH
01-07-2008, 03:34 PM
If you're trying to cheap out on a turbo kit or going turbo don't do it. You'll be spending more than you think in the end.

d16_turbo
01-07-2008, 03:47 PM
^^^^agreed just save your money and buy a good kit like full-race, peak boost or something like that

GaGen2Teg
01-07-2008, 03:53 PM
word yeah i just want a good turbo set up to boost round 7-9 psi like i said not trying to break any records just want to boost

RandomGuy
01-07-2008, 07:23 PM
dude real talk cheap **** doesn't necessarily mean problems...

just make sure its good... the only thing bad I can forsee is if the used turbo you get is blown, and even then 100$ will fix it... might even be better to get a not so good one to begin with... so u can rebuild it and make sure its good.

at 6-9 lbs... nothing really bad will happen... just get some 450's and get it professionally dyno tuned so u can keep it reliable.

Vteckidd
01-07-2008, 07:31 PM
the best AFFORDABLE kit ive seen and used is the TreadstonePerformance.com kit.

They are $1895 an come with all name brand parts.

Intercooler and IC piping is nice polished aluminum with real silicone couplers and good tbolts an it all fits NICE.

The manifolds are cast iron so they wont break, they come with turbonetics turbos which im not a real big fan of anymore, but they do the job an are better than EBAY turbos.

It comes with Name brand wastegate, oil lines, fittings, etc.

To do a turbo kit RIGHT if you piece it together yourself your still looking at $2000+ IMO.

Name brand Turbo-$600-700 (NEW)
Injectors $80 (DSM 450cc)
Crome Pro ECU -$170 from me
IC and IC piping kit -$450-500
Manifold-$200
Downpipe-$150-200
BOV-$200
Wastegate TIAL -$200
Oil Lines and fittings -$100
Walbro Fuel Pump-$100

thats a good NAME BRAND pieced together kit

GaGen2Teg
01-07-2008, 07:59 PM
word thanks for the info

Tech5
01-07-2008, 09:41 PM
I have used the Xs power kits they are ok GREAT starter kits, i would buy again, its cheap but when you get there kits they come with , turbo timer,fuel regulator,rail,oil line kits,piping,all clamps tees,90mm intercooler, I was surprise when I saw my kit, worth it, waste gate rofl bov , its great starter!!!!!

GaGen2Teg
01-07-2008, 10:33 PM
I have used the Xs power kits they are ok GREAT starter kits, i would buy again, its cheap but when you get there kits they come with , turbo timer,fuel regulator,rail,oil line kits,piping,all clamps tees,90mm intercooler, I was surprise when I saw my kit, worth it, waste gate rofl bov , its great starter!!!!!

how long did it last you?

Tech5
01-07-2008, 11:14 PM
I had it on the car for 3 months an the guy I sold it too has today drives it daily, recommend good tune also!!

GaGen2Teg
01-08-2008, 01:23 AM
word well we will see which one i go with

IntegraXTR
01-08-2008, 11:40 AM
word well we will see which one i go with

I just sold my turbo kit a couple days ago, and you can boost your car for about $1k and under.

Here's how, kinda like what randomguy said....
ebay intercooler/piping kit - $159
BOV - ebay will do $75 under
Wastegate - might not need it depending if your turbo is going to be internally wastegated. But if you must, goinfasterthanu is selling a deltagate wastegate for $100 which is a deal.
manifold - cast iron for $100
Downpipe - $100 or so
Injectors - $80-100 DSM that is, must be used with resistor box
Turbo - stock t25/28 can be found as cheap as $100-$200, these are mostly internally wg and spool up very quick.

I pieced together my brand NEW kit for $1k. Hope that helps

GaGen2Teg
01-08-2008, 11:41 AM
word thanks

SouthSide Tay
01-09-2008, 10:35 PM
I just sold my turbo kit a couple days ago, and you can boost your car for about $1k and under.

Here's how, kinda like what randomguy said....
ebay intercooler/piping kit - $159
BOV - ebay will do $75 under
Wastegate - might not need it depending if your turbo is going to be internally wastegated. But if you must, goinfasterthanu is selling a deltagate wastegate for $100 which is a deal.
manifold - cast iron for $100
Downpipe - $100 or so
Injectors - $80-100 DSM that is, must be used with resistor box
Turbo - stock t25/28 can be found as cheap as $100-$200, these are mostly internally wg and spool up very quick.

I pieced together my brand NEW kit for $1k. Hope that helps
i agree with this guy but remember this is a starter kit and it wont last you foever nore will it net you lots of power but it might be what your looking for...thats up to you!

iNsTuN nOoDoH
01-10-2008, 12:39 AM
You might be able to spend less than 1000 on a pieced together turbo kit, but my point was that after the kit there's more money involved than you think. So if you're already strapped for cash to begin with, be prepared for later. Tuning alone would probably be no less than 280. A decent fuel management is probably another 180 or so.

Shameless plug enters here... I have a few turbo pieces from my d series kit if you're interested in that. Pm me.

RandomGuy
01-10-2008, 01:37 AM
the best AFFORDABLE kit ive seen and used is the TreadstonePerformance.com kit.

They are $1895 an come with all name brand parts.

Intercooler and IC piping is nice polished aluminum with real silicone couplers and good tbolts an it all fits NICE.

The manifolds are cast iron so they wont break, they come with turbonetics turbos which im not a real big fan of anymore, but they do the job an are better than EBAY turbos.

It comes with Name brand wastegate, oil lines, fittings, etc.

To do a turbo kit RIGHT if you piece it together yourself your still looking at $2000+ IMO.

Name brand Turbo-$600-700 (NEW) :lmfao::lmfao:
Injectors $80 (DSM 450cc) :goodjob:
Crome Pro ECU -$170 from me :ninja:
IC and IC piping kit -$450-500:lmfao:
Manifold-$200:no:
Downpipe-$150-200:thinking::goodjob:
BOV-$200:???::no:
Wastegate TIAL -$200:goodjob:
Oil Lines and fittings -$100:goodjob:
Walbro Fuel Pump-$100:goodjob:

thats a good NAME BRAND pieced together kit
dude he's not breakin record or nothin bro lolol

but yeah that $200 manifold you posted above.. the cast iron..... its cast iron... the molds are even the same... what justifies paying over 100 bux more for THE SAME THING? lol warranty? cast iron won't break (unless you soemthing stupidly stupid)
i once got a B and D series cast iron manifold for ~60 bux shipped each on ebay brand new some new seller...(like a year ago)

they run around 100 bux now though.

and also, integraxtr made a good point, ur not going for uber-power, just get an internally gated turbo... like a t25 (what i'd get, but I haven't really seen a t25 cast iron mani- not that I look now) or a mercedes turbodiesel t3 ~100-200 bux... and u DONT NEED A WASTEGATE :) so 100 bux saved you'll need a wg block plate for like 15 bux shipped tho.

wastegates are different, i agree, I had both on my car... if you take apart a real tial, the rubber seal is a LOT less flimsy... just much much better constructed...

I took apart my ebay bov and its EXACTLY like a real ssqv... if they were so bad, why would mainstream sell/endorse them. .. :) can't go wrong for 60 bux and don't have to wait for shipping.. Mainstream ftw

ebay is killing local shops tho i'm sure... I bought two chipped p28 ecu' one for 89 shipped(with datalogging port), and the other for 66$ shipped... ebay username:
psv4878 (http://myworld.ebay.com/psv4878) maybe you can message him

but yeah this junk yard boost setup will totally demolish 237whp na records like daily

LOLOL JK MIKe BLAHAHAHAHAH

GaGen2Teg
01-10-2008, 09:26 AM
word thanks for all the advice everyone guess i have to start piecing together my kit

K_Hill
01-14-2008, 01:28 PM

x2! Pretty much says it all right there.

1NonlyAccord
01-20-2008, 08:53 AM
but say you do get a $600 ebay kit,could you spend an extra $100 for a garrett rebuild kit and then dont have to worry bout it blowing a seal or anything?

19'sPrelude
01-23-2008, 11:19 AM
I think quite a few people here would agree with me when I say that you get what you pay for. Why waste money on cheap parts? When going forced induction there are few corners that you can cut and still expect to have longevity and reliability. just my $0.02