PDA

View Full Version : S2000 Vtec problem

btstone84
01-05-2008, 04:16 PM
I installed an inlinepro tubro on my s2k. Went to top speed to get tuned. after 7 hours on the dyno the tuner said my vtec was not turning on. they did not know why. it was working before i put the turbo on. anyways, after being <basically, kicked off the dyno with no answer to my problem. i have broken down the engine and checked cams, valve springs, rockers, etc. there was no problem. i checked the oil pressure, it was 5 lbs below where it should be. the guys at inline pro said that was fine. we checked the solenoid, it was working fine. the AEM was saying the vtec was 100% engaging but there was no surge of power, nor was there and change in engine sound. not sure what to do. any help would be great

.::UNKNOWN::.
01-05-2008, 04:23 PM
i have a friend that installed a turbo on his b16 and i couldn't feel it when he hit it.. maybe it is the turbo kinda canceling out vtec idk

Vteckidd
01-05-2008, 04:31 PM
the AEM map is prob corrupted. Try loading a stock map into the car an scale the injectors to what you have and try it again.

I have seen this happen with AEM more than a few times. Seymour222s Turbo S2K had the same problem after exhausting all avenues it was a bad AEM file.

But for grins you need to:

Put a 12volt power to the solenoid at idle, and see if you here it CLICK.

If it clicks, then while on the dyno you neeed to hook a test light to the solenoid and see if it comes on atr 55psi of oil pressure (where vtec should engage).

Send me your dyno charts, what did you make hp wise?

btstone84
01-05-2008, 06:17 PM
the AEM map is prob corrupted. Try loading a stock map into the car an scale the injectors to what you have and try it again.

I have seen this happen with AEM more than a few times. Seymour222s Turbo S2K had the same problem after exhausting all avenues it was a bad AEM file.

But for grins you need to:

Put a 12volt power to the solenoid at idle, and see if you here it CLICK.

If it clicks, then while on the dyno you neeed to hook a test light to the solenoid and see if it comes on atr 55psi of oil pressure (where vtec should engage).

Send me your dyno charts, what did you make hp wise?

the car made 210hp at 6000rpm. the tuner never turned it above 6200 cuz he couldnt hear the vtec cutting on. im not sure how to send maps or any of that. i dont think he finished the map. the car is drivable but at like 7000rpm it starts losing power. idk:???:

HeLLo iM iZzY
01-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Take it to Mr. Kidd (Batlground)

He's a Honda nerd.

Vteckidd
01-05-2008, 09:19 PM
the car made 210hp at 6000rpm. the tuner never turned it above 6200 cuz he couldnt hear the vtec cutting on. im not sure how to send maps or any of that. i dont think he finished the map. the car is drivable but at like 7000rpm it starts losing power. idk:???:

How many lbs of boost?

Call Topspeed and ask them to email you your dyno graphs, then post them on here so we can see the dyno and see what the a/f is doing and where it drops off.

The BUCKY
01-05-2008, 09:24 PM
put some oil in that ****!!!

lol

HeLLo iM iZzY
01-05-2008, 09:34 PM
VTEC fluid 2 low....

lol....

RX4BRDM
01-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I'll tell you what it is right now. What size exhaust are you running?? If your exhaust is limited i.e. stock dp back or anything smaller then a 3" catless it can't breath up high. I had the same issue with my s2k and inlinepro setup while tuning at mainstream. If vtec literally isn't kicking in it will ALWAYS throw a p1259 dtc.

RX4BRDM
01-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Not to mean any disrespect to this forum but post this question in the FI section of www.s2ki.com

EmminoDaGreat
01-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I would check for a corrupt map in the aem, like mike said. That has happened quite a few times.

RX4BRDM
01-05-2008, 09:58 PM
ahh its an AEM. It won't throw a code then.. .. Hmm

Vteckidd
01-05-2008, 10:19 PM
restrictive exhauyst wont cause vtec not to engage

RX4BRDM
01-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Thats what I am saying. VTEC most likely is engaging but is not able to breath at that RPM level causing a flatline in whp and torque. If you have sufficient oil pressure and the solenoid is getting voltage then vtec is engaging.
You have an AEM EMS but did you change to a larger MAP sensor. You should have the GM 3.5 bar on your setup. The stock will not support more then 10.1 psi

btstone84
01-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Thats what I am saying. VTEC most likely is engaging but is not able to breath at that RPM level causing a flatline in whp and torque. If you have sufficient oil pressure and the solenoid is getting voltage then vtec is engaging.
You have an AEM EMS but did you change to a larger MAP sensor. You should have the GM 3.5 bar on your setup. The stock will not support more then 10.1 psi

I have 3inch dp and exhaust. i have a 3bar map sensor. I am planning on calling mike at batl ground monday. i just dont want to spend another 450$ on nothing. i want tomake sure im working correctly when i goto get it tuned. i was told "ur s2k isnt mechanically ready to be dynoed" which really upset me. so i want to make sure that doesnt happen again.

cdhtang
01-06-2008, 11:39 AM
I think top speed is for subaru and mitsubishi guys. Not saying top speed is bad, but try mainstream or batlground. My friend had a problem when he brought his comptech sc s2k to top speed, but they never told my friend what's the problem. So we brought it to mainstream, and everything got solved out.

Vteckidd
01-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Did Scot or Doug tune it, PM me if you want

Rsxguy
01-10-2008, 05:45 AM
check ur oil

jbhondatech
01-10-2008, 11:13 AM
restrictive exhauyst wont cause vtec not to engage

I have seen this problem before, when vtec engages on boosted S2000 motors and it feels as if you are hitting a rev limiter the problem is exhaust gas back pressure. This is a common problem with log style manifolds in conjunction with a stock or restrictive exhaust. I would need to see the car to be 100% sure this is occuring.

EmminoDaGreat
01-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Do you have an oil sandwich plate.?

Vteckidd
01-10-2008, 11:57 AM
I have seen this problem before, when vtec engages on boosted S2000 motors and it feels as if you are hitting a rev limiter the problem is exhaust gas back pressure. This is a common problem with log style manifolds in conjunction with a stock or restrictive exhaust. I would need to see the car to be 100% sure this is occuring.
interesting, ive never seen that in person before.

Ill be sure to check it out, the cars here now an should e on the dyno in the next 1.5 hours

siegelracing
01-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Just for the record, we have never had a Comptech SC S2K on the dyno here at TopSpeed...

We also SUCCESSFULLY fixed a number of problems with this S2K before running through the full diagnosis of the VTEC solenoid. The engine builder suggested that there was a mechanical issue in the head that was preventing VTEC engagement at the correct RPM.

The customer was in the shop with us and knew the status of his car the entire day. The car was on the dyno forever and the customer was given a significant discount, that he agreed was fair. He had said that he would have his people go through the head and bring it back...

It appears that he has since taken the car to BG with the EXACT SAME RESULT - "There appears to be a mechanical problem in the head..."

Siegel

EmminoDaGreat
01-11-2008, 01:01 PM
My question still stands, does it use a sandwich plate for an oil feed line.

Vteckidd
01-11-2008, 01:25 PM
My question still stands, does it use a sandwich plate for an oil feed line.
He actually has the oil filter relocation kit, im not sure if thats an INLINE pro thing or not, but it puts the filter out in front of the engine.

We saw the same problems Topspeed saw. The car is ELECTRONICALLY engaging the VTEC system, mechanically it is just not working.

The solenoid has power, the car has oil pressure, the AEM is working fine.

The customer removed the head and ported it, so i think there is something wrong there. It points to a mechanical issue internal in the head.

I dont have any reason to think its a sandwhich plate issue since the car plenty of oil pressure and im pretty sure it wasnt used as the oil feed line.

Also, the car makes 175whp at 7psi, even on low cam it should make more than that so i think there is more than 1 thing going on

jbhondatech
01-11-2008, 02:00 PM
could you bring the car to 9000 with the only problem being no vtec?

afwfjustin
01-14-2008, 01:35 AM

The GM is 3 bar, the AEM is 3.5. Also, I think the stock MAP sensor can only handle 9.8 before it screws up but those are minor nuances :)

afwfjustin
01-14-2008, 01:37 AM
could you bring the car to 9000 with the only problem being no vtec?

Yes, you can tune to 9K on the low cam.