PDA

View Full Version : how can i tell if i have a light flywheel?

Mr. Clean
01-04-2008, 07:05 PM
i think mine may be because it will absolutely not coast if your in first or second, as soon as you let off the gas it bucks all over the place, so im wondering if the flywheel just doesnt build up must momentum or if my car is FUKCED up... which is very possible

dougatl12
01-04-2008, 07:27 PM
did u buy the car already assembled or did u change the cluch and flywheel out

dougatl12
01-04-2008, 07:28 PM
the only thing i can tell u is u will have to take the tranny out and weigh it

Mr. Clean
01-04-2008, 07:34 PM
BLAH! f that.

and no i bought the car with it like this and i have had the tranny off but i didnt really think to check it out because i was so stressed out.

i was just looking for lightened flywheel behavior characteristics.

khaxnguyen
01-04-2008, 07:34 PM
well if u're lazy.. drive it.. when u shift... rpm drops. if u've driven another manual with a stock flywheel, you might can tell. depends on how light it is, you'll probably stall out more...

Mr. Clean
01-04-2008, 07:43 PM
well if u're lazy.. drive it.. when u shift... rpm drops. if u've driven another manual with a stock flywheel, you might can tell. depends on how light it is, you'll probably stall out more...

yeah it will stall pretty easy, i think it has an upgraded clutch as well. its just a hard car to drive and i didnt know if anyone had some real world characteristics of a lightened flywheel.

and yeah if im driving in 3rd or 4th at about 3-4000 rpms it drops pretty quick if you let off the gas. not a lot of coasting unless you push the clutch in

AnthonyF
01-04-2008, 07:56 PM
typically with a lightened flywheel when it is installed and the engine isnt balanced with the flywheel it does "buck" or jerk a bit. My friend has one in his boosted Si and it was pretty difficult to drive.

Mr. Clean
01-04-2008, 08:04 PM
typically with a lightened flywheel when it is installed and the engine isnt balanced with the flywheel it does "buck" or jerk a bit. My friend has one in his boosted Si and it was pretty difficult to drive.

it seems to suck pretty bad and i feel like my clutch is going to be gone like... tomorrow haha. i have to press that ***** a lot more than i feel like i should

what are the immediate advantages in my 170hp del sol? i would think it would be far more beneficial in something a lot faster...expecially for the money

AnthonyF
01-04-2008, 08:10 PM
^ a lightened flywheel just helps the motor rev up a little quicker. Kinda like taking ur a/c system and p/s pump off.

If you build a race engine you want the motor balanced with the clutch and flywheel for smooth acceleration.

Mr. Clean
01-04-2008, 08:11 PM
eh well... alright well i have decided that i think it is a lightened flywheel and that it sucks. haha

1flysi
01-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Pull the flywheel cover off and look at it. I think there are only 2 bolts holding it.

Mr. Clean
01-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Pull the flywheel cover off and look at it. I think there are only 2 bolts holding it.

yeah i dont have that cover and how could i tell if it wasnt factory?