PDA

View Full Version : From Conventional to Synthetic..

Sammich
01-04-2008, 03:44 PM
is this sensible doing this on a VQ30DE with 120k miles on it? i'm thinking of switching to synthetic blend(castrol syntec 10w30) on my maxima. i'm wondering if @ 120k miles if its ok to switch...

all input will be appreciated

PS this isn't the whoreslounge

Vayda
01-04-2008, 04:03 PM
I switched around 110k miles on my camry to full synthetic. I liked the way it drove better after that. But i don't know a whole lot about maximas.

Sammich
01-04-2008, 04:09 PM
thanks for you input

Init2winit
01-04-2008, 05:06 PM
It'll be fine. Although, you might want to consider changing to a high mileage oil instead.

Sammich
01-07-2008, 07:42 AM
i've been thinking about that too...

Wurm
01-07-2008, 07:49 AM
i got 190k on the del slow and run full syn.

DirtyMechanic
01-07-2008, 08:12 AM
if you use syn itll start to burn oil. just use convertional or high mileage

Sammich
01-07-2008, 08:16 AM
okie doke...thats what i needed to know..thanks..i thought it was too late to start synthetic

DirtyMechanic
01-07-2008, 08:18 AM
okie doke...thats what i needed to know..thanks..i thought it was too late to start synthetic yup i found that on VQ's must start way early and keep it up or else youll start to burn.... like below 20k early

Kaiser
01-07-2008, 08:27 AM
yup i found that on VQ's must start way early and keep it up or else youll start to burn.... like below 20k early

I trust your experience, but I'm wanting for a factual explanation as to why this happens. Most other cars have no issues switching back and forth, as long as the lubrication requirements are met and you're using high quality, proper viscosity oil, there should not be oil burnoff.

Sammich
01-07-2008, 08:44 AM
i know seals play a large roll in whether or not being able to run synthetic without burning oil. if the life of your seals aren't long...then better stick with 'what you know'

Kaiser
01-07-2008, 08:55 AM
i know seals play a large roll in whether or not being able to run synthetic without burning oil. if the life of your seals aren't long...then better stick with 'what you know'

And I agree with that, but at 20k miles, if your seals are even starting to go bad, then I think there's another problem in the mix somewhere. I was just pointing out that while I accept his experience as the right answer, it just seems out of place, wanted a really fantastic explanation for it. Not neccessarily from him, but just in general. I know a lot about synthetic oils, but I've still never figured out why Aerio took to running synthetic just fine (and was much happier because of it) while other people tell me horror stories about how a synthetic oil caused their engine to die. It's all just speculation for me, FI = Synthetic just because of the temperature range.

DirtyMechanic
01-07-2008, 09:15 AM
And I agree with that, but at 20k miles, if your seals are even starting to go bad, then I think there's another problem in the mix somewhere. I was just pointing out that while I accept his experience as the right answer, it just seems out of place, wanted a really fantastic explanation for it. Not neccessarily from him, but just in general. I know a lot about synthetic oils, but I've still never figured out why Aerio took to running synthetic just fine (and was much happier because of it) while other people tell me horror stories about how a synthetic oil caused their engine to die. It's all just speculation for me, FI = Synthetic just because of the temperature range. well i dont know for certian but from what i have seen and experienced is that once you do syn you really should stay with it. but also if the oil has the same weight and viscosity then there really isnt any difference as to why oil will get by the rings and burn. but for some reason there is. we have all seen that stupid infomercials on tv about syn oils and stuff when they heat it up spreading around the pan or block more. since syn seems to flow easier. i only see thats why when you go to syn at high mileage when the rings are worn more because of the conventional oil. when you switch its alot easier to get by the rings and burn. but if you use syn early and keep with it the rings would wear as much as if it was conventional oil. and if you go from syn to conventional at high mileage it will just wear out faster than the syn. so when you go back to syn you burn because they have been worn out faster. syn oil seems to be a thinner oil for the same wieght.

all i know is with a VQ if you used syn from early on stay with it. it will last forever. ive seen a VQ with 250k and all they used was syn the cylinder walls still had the crosshatch from honing. but whenever ive seen a car come in and they say they are burning oil. i ask what kind of oil have they been using and they say they have been using syn for the past 3-5 oil changes and thats when its been burning oil. so when they switch back to conventional they dont burn. so take it with a gain of salt this is what ive seen. its not gospel.

Sammich
01-07-2008, 09:24 AM
my toyota p/u with 240k miles...i've used valvoline high mileage and lucas oil stabilizer from basically 120k on up...and i've recently had to do the head gasket and my cylinder walls were looking pretty sessi...

but..i'll stick with convential. thanks man

DirtyMechanic
01-07-2008, 09:26 AM
my toyota p/u with 240k miles...i've used valvoline high mileage and lucas oil stabilizer from basically 120k on up...and i've recently had to do the head gasket and my cylinder walls were looking pretty sessi...

but..i'll stick with convential. thanks man well when i mean a clean crosshatch i mean like someone just honed it.

Wurm
01-07-2008, 09:28 AM
250K miles is a lot? lol my 240 has to be at 300 or so. Odometer wasnt working when i bought it 2 years ago

DirtyMechanic
01-07-2008, 09:30 AM
250K miles is a lot? lol my 240 has to be at 300 or so. Odometer wasnt working when i bought it 2 years ago yeah we were tearing it down for a little build... and it was a VQ30DE A32

Sammich
01-07-2008, 09:31 AM
well when i mean a clean crosshatch i mean like someone just honed it.

i didn't look at mine that closely...but it didnt have any gashes..

Kaiser
01-07-2008, 09:39 AM
......so take it with a gain of salt this is what ive seen. its not gospel.

And I agree there, worked at Jiffy Lube, saw some strange things, including a guy putting 20-50 conventional into a 180,000 mile Acura Legend. Hearing that thing try to crank was literally one of the most painful days of my existence. I agree about the switching, it just seems like some motors have far fewer issues than others when it comes to this. I dunno, I agree with you though, and you're probably dead-on about the better flow and worn rings. Conventional Goop wouldn't act the same way Synth does. Meh, like I said for me it's all moot. Turbo, especially an Audi, is a need for Synth regardless of mileage or else you get awesome solidified chunks of baked oil in your system.

DirtyMechanic
01-07-2008, 09:39 AM
i didn't look at mine that closely...but it didnt have any gashes.. yeah thats what your mainly looking for. piston to wall contact. detonation pits and whatnot