PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Lightweight Clutch & Flywheel w/ boost...

speedminded
01-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Advantages vs. Disadvantages?

Looking at using an 11lb clutch & flywheel package on a RWD with a GT30R...any comments or suggestions?

1439/2000
01-04-2008, 09:10 AM
You will probably lose a little torque in exchange for quicker revs. I had a OS Giken/Fidanza setup which I ditched for a stock flywheel and ClutchSpecialties. If you plan on keeping the revs high and the motor you are working with revs past 7500 then you could go lightweight.

Also check the ring gear for compatbility with the bendix in your starter. My Fidanza was the wrong one the first time.

speedminded
01-04-2008, 09:21 AM
You will probably lose a little torque in exchange for quicker revs. I had a OS Giken/Fidanza setup which I ditched for a stock flywheel and ClutchSpecialties. If you plan on keeping the revs high and the motor you are working with revs past 7500 then you could go lightweight.

Also check the ring gear for compatbility with the bendix in your starter. My Fidanza was the wrong one the first time.It won't see RPM's that high, lol. It's an M52b28 with an OBD1 conversion...

I'm looking for throttle response and willing to give up some torque for it.

all-mota
01-04-2008, 05:06 PM
another bad thing about them is the fact the revs fall faster so a slow shift could mean have to wait for the turbo to spool again

rickylsi
01-04-2008, 05:16 PM
I was wondering the same. i have a d series turbo and i put a 7.5 pound flywheel. Should i change back to stock????

1439/2000
01-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I was wondering the same. i have a d series turbo and i put a 7.5 pound flywheel. Should i change back to stock????

You need all the torque you can get.

rickylsi
01-05-2008, 04:23 PM
You need all the torque you can get.

Cool i appreciate it. Guess ill be selling that then.

mocha latte cupcake
01-05-2008, 04:28 PM
or if you're racing and you don't have a dB limit i would say that you should go with a mis fire system if you're seriously worried about falling out of turbo efficiency, i mean for daily i wouldn't see it being a rev issue or something. but if you've got some track time or just :ninja: free time with no traffic. then you'll be fine, besides i truly don't see a super down side to this, you building the engine or just doing clutch and flywheel work?

Vteckidd
01-05-2008, 04:32 PM
abolute best mod i ever did lol.

The "loss" in tq was so minimal compared to the gain in acceleration.

rickylsi
01-05-2008, 04:53 PM
I have a t3/t4 on a d series and my acceration is good with both but i guess with the time it takes to spool i might wanna keep the lightweight or should i. I have to get my new clutch installed anyways so i would like to change it if it will help my track times.

speedminded
01-05-2008, 07:44 PM
or if you're racing and you don't have a dB limit i would say that you should go with a mis fire system if you're seriously worried about falling out of turbo efficiency, i mean for daily i wouldn't see it being a rev issue or something. but if you've got some track time or just :ninja: free time with no traffic. then you'll be fine, besides i truly don't see a super down side to this, you building the engine or just doing clutch and flywheel work?The engine as it is with a headgasket and ARP studs is good for a reliable 600 crank hp and at least one person has gotten 700whp out of it it before bending a rod after 1/2 a day on the dyno. With the GT30R I plan to have full boost around 2,500-2,700rpms...could put a GT35R on it but seriously doubt that would work too well on a mtn run or road racing, lol.

SouthSide Tay
01-06-2008, 01:24 AM
I am a absolute fan of lighter flywheels as it has already been stated the torque trade off is well worth the acceleration, quicker throttle response and quicker revving that you will receive

speedminded
01-06-2008, 11:23 AM
or if you're racing and you don't have a dB limit i would say that you should go with a mis fire systemI can program it for that relatively easily...but worried about blowing apart a muffler or cutout so it would have to be straight, ugh!