View Full Version : Thrashers sign Holik

Kristi
08-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Thrashers sign Holik
Two-time Stanley Cup champ inks three year deal

By JOHN MANASSO
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/02/05
Making the biggest free-agent signing in their history, the Thrashers signed free-agent center Bobby Holik, a two-time Stanley Cup champion who fits the bill of the big, physical two-way center they have always needed but never had.

Holik's agent Mike Gillis confirmed that the deal is for three years. The Thrashers were temporarily withholding comment. The Canadian Web site Sportsnet.ca reported that the first year of the contract would pay Holik $4.25 million.

At 8 a.m., Gillis said he had 10 phone calls from teams but that the Thrashers had yet to call. Less than five hours later he confirmed the deal.

"They were committed," he said.

The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Holik, who will be 34 on Jan. 1, is a 13-year veteran who has scored 20 or more goals eight times. He also should help on faceoffs, penalty killing and defensively, helping transform a team that has never made the playoffs into a serious contender.

In the summer of 2002, Holik left New Jersey for the New York Rangers, who gave him a five-year dealing totaling $45 million, a sum some considered far too high for a player who had never scored more than 29 goals in a season in his career.

Last Friday, the Rangers were allowed to buy out his contract at two-thirds of its value after a 24-percent rollback without having his salary count against the league's new $39-million per team salary cap.

The Rangers exercised the buyout at more than $9 million, allowing Holik to become an unrestricted free agent.

Holik is known as an outspoken player, one to whom winning is important. Gillis had said that coaching was important to Holik.

"As you know, Bobby is used to disciplined coaches who have pretty high expectations of team play," he said.

That description appeared to identify the Thrashers' Bob Hartley.

"That's what we think, too," Gillis said.

Gillis also seemed to hint that the organization reminded Holik of the Devils, a team that has won with coaching, scouting and players filling roles.

"He looked at the coach, he focused on the coach and the organization," Gillis said. "He felt that there was a great opportunity to win. He felt there was something similar between an organization he was very familiar with and he saw a number of similarities in approach and style and felt comfortable with this."

Gillis would not say he was talking about New Jersey, but that description does not fit the Rangers, nor would it seem to characterize the Hartford Whalers, the team that drafted Holik 10th overall in 1989 and with whom he played two seasons.

Born in the former Czechoslovakia, Holik has become an American citizen but is unable to play in World Championships, the World Cup or Olympics for the United States since he once played at that level for his former country.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/thrashers/0805/03thrashers.html

B16a2 Civic
08-02-2005, 01:56 PM
this would go in teh sports section....but sounds like a good addition

Kristi
08-02-2005, 02:02 PM
yea - it probably should, but i didn't even think about it! lol

i figured the thrashers fans would enjoy it

civic95
08-02-2005, 02:07 PM
The Canadian Web site Sportsnet.ca reported that the first year of the contract would pay Holik $4.25 million.

No wonder they are in trouble financially.

kilpatty43
08-02-2005, 02:24 PM
yeah they also got hnidy

drupason
08-02-2005, 03:28 PM
sweeeet

eViLMunkey
08-02-2005, 05:33 PM
umm... alot of teams are in financial trouble due to this past years season not happening.... but I can't wait to go to games again soon!! I like hockey over every sport known to man.... well except for motorsports,..

Hulud
08-02-2005, 05:35 PM
man im gonna start watching cause prices should be cheap to go to games!

eViLMunkey
08-02-2005, 05:40 PM
They've been cheap.... but for good seats they'll never be cheap....

kilpatty43
08-02-2005, 08:29 PM
this season is going to rock...with the koslov, savard and heatley line up front...then exelby in defense...then with pasi and kari in goal...we'll kick ass...god i cant wait!

Kristi
08-03-2005, 08:45 AM
is my man still on the team? i hope so!

Salty12
08-03-2005, 08:48 AM
maybe even a play-off chance this year...

But the important question is.....

WHEN ARE THE WINGS BACK IN TOWN?!

kilpatty43
08-03-2005, 10:38 AM
salty~~ tues. dec13 we play detroit here at home at 7pm

and kristi...they havent said anything yet about him not returning but we shall see...i know he was looking at retirement

kilpatty43
08-03-2005, 10:39 AM
man im gonna start watching cause prices should be cheap to go to games!
they usually have pretty good deals...like if you have a 99x freeloader card you get 2 of the $24 seats for $12 each...or if you have a student id you can get 2 of the $36 seats for $10 each...

Kristi
08-03-2005, 01:26 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! he can't retire! he is my favorite player and has my favorite number and is the cutest one on the team! i was even gonna get his number sewn into my jersey!

Kristi
08-03-2005, 01:26 PM
oh and hefy - for the trashers/red wings game - we will have to go with knick and get the good up front seats - i will even save up to pay for it! it would make you and knick so happy!

Salty12
08-03-2005, 02:13 PM
that's going to be the best game all season

Kristi
08-03-2005, 02:44 PM
yea it is - its always great to go with my friend knick. he loves the thrashers, but loves the wings more - so he goes to all the games and cheers for the thrashers except that gmae. its so much fun,

Salty12
08-03-2005, 02:50 PM
yeah.. getting good seats rocks... last year for that game we sat on the good side, where they come take your order and bring it down to you... that rocked.

kilpatty43
08-03-2005, 03:19 PM
you can still get his number sewn into your jersey...they havent announced that there is a new captain yet so my guess is that he;ll be back for the season.

and yeah for the red wings game i will def make a point to be in town...i dont care where i sit though...the upper level seats i like bc i can see the entire ice...

Kristi
08-03-2005, 03:48 PM
maybe this year they will give you another puck

SniperJoe
08-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Yeah, we are going to the Red Wings game just so I can wear my Avs jersey.

kilpatty43
08-03-2005, 07:23 PM
kristi...that would so kick ass...petrovicky gave me that puck *tear* i have it in a case here in my bedroom

and joe joe...i will so be spilling grapejuice on that jersey when i see you wearing it!

SniperJoe
08-03-2005, 07:44 PM
kristi...that would so kick ass...petrovicky gave me that puck *tear* i have it in a case here in my bedroom

and joe joe...i will so be spilling grapejuice on that jersey when i see you wearing it!

Bring it on, I've got a rasberry slushie waiting for yours.

kilpatty43
08-03-2005, 08:09 PM
id kill you joe joe lol