PDA

View Full Version : Questions about replacing BOSE system w/ aftermarket parts

ThaABomb
01-03-2008, 02:28 AM
I drive a 1998 Acura RL with a BOSE sound system from the factory. I want to install a new head unit, speakers, and a sub, but a friend of mine said that because I have a BOSE system, I can't connect aftermarket speakers to the stock head unit and I can't connect an aftermarket head unit to the stock speakers. This means that I can't replace ONLY the speakers or ONLY the head unit, I have to replace BOTH. Is this true?

Second of all, what brand should I go with? I've heard that Polk and JL are both good. I'm much more concerned with sound quality than I am with having a really loud system.

Thanks!

dougatl12
01-03-2008, 05:59 PM
your friend lied too u. u can hook up a system to a factory head unit

b16ftw
01-04-2008, 05:49 AM
you shouldn't have trouble.

drpepper14
01-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Technically you can replace one or the other...but due to a difference in resistance, whether it be at the amplifier in the aftermarket radio, the factory bose speakers, the aftermarket speakers, or the factory bose amplifier...EVENTUALLY your system will take a **** on you because the factory bose amplifier outputs @ 8 ohms while aftermarket speakers are at 4 ohms...and obviously an aftermarket radio puts out its signal at 4 ohms.

Best bet in the long run is to replace everything and bypass the bose amplifier