PDA

View Full Version : Misc Redman named Offensive Player of the Week

Kelly
01-02-2008, 12:20 PM
He did play one heck of a game Sunday! I hate that it wasn't televised.
That game was awesome! The ole underdogs pulled thru.... finally...

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/News/Articles/2008/01/1-6/Redman_named_NFC_Offensive_Player_of_the_Week.aspx

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- A career that seemed over less than a year ago keeps gaining momentum for Chris Redman.

The 30-year-old quarterback who spent the better part of three years out of football was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week Wednesday morning after leading the Falcons to a 44-41 season-ending victory with a career-high four touchdown passes. He is also a candidate for FedEx "Air" Player of the Week.

Redman became the first Falcons quarterback to throw for four touchdowns in a game since the feat was accomplished twice last season against the Pittsburgh Steelers and Dallas Cowboys. Redman’s four touchdowns also contributed to Atlanta’s 44 points against Seattle, which is the highest point total in a game for the Falcons since 1998.

Redman, the 75th pick in the 2000 NFL Draft sat on the bench for much of his first two seasons with the Baltimore Ravens -- his record-setting career at the University of Louisville quickly fading into history. He started the first six games of 2002, but a back injury sent him to injured reserve and put his future in doubt. Redman played in two games in 2003 before being released.

He spent some offseason time with the Tennessee Titans and New England Patriots before filing his retirement paperwork and taking up insurance sales in Louisville, Ky.

He signed with the Falcons this offseason and spent time as a backup before being named the team's starter prior to a Dec. 10 game against New Orleans. He remained the starter for the final four games, finishing with a 1-3 record, 1,079 passing yards, a 90.4 passer rating.

Redman set career highs in completion percentage (59.7), passing yards (1,079), touchdowns (10) and passer rating (90.4) while establishing a career-long completion with a 74-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Laurent Robinson against the Arizona Cardinals in Week 16.

"I knew I could play but unfortunately, in this business, it's a lot about opportunity and being hot at the right time," Redman said just before being named the team's starter. "I didn't know if I would get that next opportunity. I just worked hard. It will be cool one day when I can look down and tell my son, 'Hey, if you want something bad enough, you can get it.' That's something I'll hang my hat on.

"Now I don't take anything for granted. Everything that happens I look at as a blessing."

BB6dohcvtec
01-02-2008, 10:09 PM
too bad he still won't be the starter next year.