PDA

View Full Version : CEL help on S2k!

admedlin
12-28-2007, 07:03 PM
I installed a test pipe on my AP2 '06 S2000. I got it from Berk Technologies, was supposed to have the CEL fix on it. So I put it on Christmas day, drove around 50 miles and it was fine. On the way from Atlanta to Columbus, the light came on and has been on since then. I had time to try to check it out today, so here's what happened.

First of all, I decided to put the stock catalytic converter back on. I took it to a buddy at an exhaust shop down here, he lifted it up. put it back on, yadda yadda. So i get back in the car, crank it up, CEL still on. Take it to Autozone, they can't find where to plug in the code checker.

Long story short, I have the stock cat back on and the light is still on. I can't seem to find where to plug in to clear the code out, and really don't want to take it to the dealership and explain why the O2 sensor was reading so high and the cat had scratches on it from wrenches.

Help! I already tried disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery, nothing. I can't think of what else to do besides take it to the dealership, unless someone on here works at a dealership around Columbus that could clear it for me

aaronfelipe
12-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Maybe you pulled a plug from the actual connector. See if you can check voltage.

green91
12-28-2007, 07:28 PM
have someone competent clear the code

admedlin
12-28-2007, 07:39 PM
i would if I knew anyone who could

2TONETTFD
12-28-2007, 07:44 PM
I know a shop in Lawrenceville that could do it, prolly for cheap! pm me if you still need it

delsolnohoe
12-28-2007, 07:45 PM
take it to a small shop and let them clear the code.

blackshine007
12-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Just an FYI, disconnecting the battery on some OBD II cars won't reset the light. On others, it will but you have to cut the lights on too while the battery is disconnected. Another thing about OBD II cars is that even if you fix the problem, if you never reset the light it's gonna stay on, regardless of repairs. Some cars will still run the same afterwards. Best thing to do is to find someone who can read OBD II generic with CAN (centralized area Networking?) and find out what the code is.

admedlin
12-28-2007, 07:54 PM
thanks for the help guys. I don't know hardly anyone down here yet. the one guy I do know works at an exhaust shop and doesn't do anything with the computer.

blackshine007
12-28-2007, 08:04 PM
I have a scanner that can read CAN equipped cars, but it's at the shop in East Point. If you're down in Columbus, don't waste the trip. But I can help you out if need be.

cdhtang
12-29-2007, 01:24 AM
had you try s2ki yet, they should have more knowledge on s2k than most people here. i bet you someone had the same problem too. Go there and ask.

Kaiser
12-29-2007, 11:16 AM
This isn't knowledge about the S2K that's required, just about how emissions systems work.

The CEL will stay on (At least) for one "drive cycle" after the problem has stopped being read. This is TYPICALLY defined by most car computers as 3 cold startups to warm driving with variable speed followed by a cooldown after the car has stopped, this creates a "normal" driving period. Other cars will do it if the car is cold-started, driven for 75-100 miles, and then allowed to cool after being shut off. Very few cars keep the CEL on if the problem is no longer registering, but the code is stored forever unless it's cleared. YMMV, but I can't imagine how you're gonna get your emissions done if you can't find your OBD2 plug.

The CEL was probably a catalytic converter efficiency failure. Check that your O2 sensors are snug and in place and not damaged or fouled up somehow. If your cat's back on then you should be fine. Oh, and the 50 miles before the CEL came on is normal, typically the car will ignore "abnormal" readings for a while before putting a CEL up, because the car assumes it's an error or just a minor hiccup. After a while it figures out that there's something amiss.

admedlin
12-29-2007, 04:11 PM
no emissions testing down here, not worried about, just worried about the dealership seeing the code and voiding the warranty. thanks for the input

dougatl12
12-29-2007, 04:16 PM
they won't void the warranty they will try and get u to fix the problem as long a u make it seem like u haven't tampered with the car:goodjob:

b.a.d. s2000
12-29-2007, 04:33 PM
my OBDII port was on the passenger side... i had a hard time finding mine. Hope this helps.

admedlin
12-29-2007, 04:35 PM
where on the passenger side? I searched all day for it. I called the dealership and said there was a piece of plastic you could pop off and its under there. kinda vague.

i had a crossfire before this one and it was on the passenger side of the center console beside the passenger's left knee. But I can't figure out where that darn plastic piece is.

b.a.d. s2000
12-29-2007, 04:41 PM
if u are sitting in the passenger seat, it'll be next to ur left knee behind the dash.... but i got an ap1, asked my friend, he said his is next to his right knee at the driver side...

admedlin
12-29-2007, 09:41 PM
i got the code cleared, just had to drive it 100 miles like Kaiser said.

thanks for the help guys!