PDA

View Full Version : JESUS CHRIST. CAR CUTS OFF AT LIGHTS

Mr. Clean
12-27-2007, 05:38 PM
alright.

whenever the car is in neutral it shuts off. period. everytime. in the morning it was fine, but i noticed that when i turn my lights on or turn the steering wheel enough for power steering to kick in it would bog down quite a bit. but now it goes DEAD every-mother-*****ng-time. driving home sucked balls. i have to keep one foot on the gas and keep it at at least 1000-1500 to keep it running.

so its something electrical or the timing isnt setting itself to compensate for the alternator needing power.

getting the check engine light checked on sat. should i just wait until then or do you guys have any suggestions. i mean i cant drive the damn thing right now unless i grow another foot

IOnlyLookStock
12-27-2007, 07:47 PM
What kind of car? year?

Sounds like alternator maybe? Test the battery first. Depending on the year of the car you might be able to pull the neg. terminal off the battery, and if the car cuts off, good sign it is the alt.

BUGMAN
12-27-2007, 10:27 PM
I don't know of any car made that will not run on the alternator even if the battery is dead (but still connected of course). On the older cars you could remove the negative battery cable and if the car died then your alternator was bad but in the last 20 years or so the computer will shut the car down even if it is good.

However if your battery is dead and you jump start it what do you do? You let it run for a little while to charge the battery right? Therefore the car is running off the alternator while it is also charging the battery for ya.

If your car will not remain running then I would almost bet money that your alternator is bad. One way to tell is to start your car and turn your headlights on bright, A/C, stereo, wipers and every other accessory that you can think of. If it dies then you will know that your charging system is not putting out enough. You can try Auto Zone or Advance but I have had several test good that were bad and vice versa.

If you have a volt mete stick it on the battery post (one on positive and one on negative of course) and see what the voltage is while the car is running. It should be over 14 volts or maybe more depending on the make with the lights on.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Mr. Clean
12-27-2007, 10:37 PM
I don't know of any car made that will not run on the alternator even if the battery is dead (but still connected of course). On the older cars you could remove the negative battery cable and if the car died then your alternator was bad but in the last 20 years or so the computer will shut the car down even if it is good.

However if your battery is dead and you jump start it what do you do? You let it run for a little while to charge the battery right? Therefore the car is running off the alternator while it is also charging the battery for ya.

If your car will not remain running then I would almost bet money that your alternator is bad. One way to tell is to start your car and turn your headlights on bright, A/C, stereo, wipers and every other accessory that you can think of. If it dies then you will know that your charging system is not putting out enough. You can try Auto Zone or Advance but I have had several test good that were bad and vice versa.

If you have a volt mete stick it on the battery post (one on positive and one on negative of course) and see what the voltage is while the car is running. It should be over 14 volts or maybe more depending on the make with the lights on.

Good luck and hope this helps.

oh yeah its a 94 del sol with a b16a

and i ran a volt meter on the battery and it was 14.4. it acts like something random is pulling power. i mean it does this when absolutely nothing is on.

this car is a mystery

ae86drftr
12-27-2007, 10:38 PM
^^^ sorry buddy , i havent seen a car that will not run without the cables connected. not sayin there isnt cars out there that wont , but from my experience all cars will still run .

EDIT: this was to BUGMAN.

Kaiser
12-27-2007, 10:38 PM
alright.

whenever the car is in neutral it shuts off. period. everytime. in the morning it was fine, but i noticed that when i turn my lights on or turn the steering wheel enough for power steering to kick in it would bog down quite a bit. but now it goes DEAD every-mother-*****ng-time. driving home sucked balls. i have to keep one foot on the gas and keep it at at least 1000-1500 to keep it running.

so its something electrical or the timing isnt setting itself to compensate for the alternator needing power.

getting the check engine light checked on sat. should i just wait until then or do you guys have any suggestions. i mean i cant drive the damn thing right now unless i grow another foot

You should call your del Sol, Devil Sol. /nod

Is it bogging with as many electricals as you can manage turned off? If the engine is bogging when powersteering is engaged...that sounds like...****. You know what I don't even know. :-\ I'm gonna ask my roommate who's a mechanic if he has any ideas and tommorow morning I'll post anything we come up with.

When you get your car done you need to give like half of us on IA a ride.

Mr. Clean
12-27-2007, 10:41 PM
You should call your del Sol, Devil Sol. /nod

Is it bogging with as many electricals as you can manage turned off? If the engine is bogging when powersteering is engaged...that sounds like...****. You know what I don't even know. :-\ I'm gonna ask my roommate who's a mechanic if he has any ideas and tommorow morning I'll post anything we come up with.

When you get your car done you need to give like half of us on IA a ride.

haha i'll blow your mind with my VTEC. i just want this thing to run

i bought a GSR throttle body and bolted it right up... sensors and everything hooked right up and then i went to connect the throttle linkage and BAM! that **** is backwards. god damnit. so i guess i have to remove the rivets from the throttle position sensor on both throttle bodies unless there is someway to turn the throttle linkage connector around?

SixSquared
12-28-2007, 07:49 AM
^^If It's still bugging when I come up again I'll meet up with you and take a look at it if you want.

Don't use a GSR throttle body. Use an H22 one.

JDMirza
12-28-2007, 12:06 PM
- Idle air control motor, i'd check for a sensor instead of the whole motor.
- Check the fuel system, fuel pump, fuel pressure regular, MAF Sensor.

EvasiveEF9
12-28-2007, 03:11 PM
It's afraid of street racing :ninja:

Mr. Clean
12-28-2007, 04:48 PM
figured it out.

simplest thing ever. there is a little screw under the throttle cable connector (where the cable actually hooks to the TB) that keeps it from closing completely when it is idling, well that screw is too far down and it allows it to let the TB close and therefore cuts the car off when you let tension off the throttle cable (i.e.-letting off the gas)

so im gonna mess with it tonight and she should FINALLY be pretty much good to go, i just have a small oil leak somewhere on the side of the block that i have to fix. holy jesus this thing has been an adventure and i'm sure im not done because it still does a weird something at 1500 rpms where it fluctuates fast about 50-60 rpms until you get past about 1600... all these things are so hard to explain in words. im sure if some honda guru listened to my car he/she would be able to fix it no prob. but thats not me.

SixSquared
12-28-2007, 05:28 PM
*enter the Honda guru*

All things come in time, young padawan...

Mr. Clean
12-28-2007, 05:46 PM
*enter the Honda guru*

All things come in time, young padawan...

haha... yeah i've used a bunch of stuff off those doors like little bolt covers and some screws i used them for other stuff in the interior so it was def. worth those seats haha

SixSquared
12-28-2007, 06:47 PM
:goodjob: those seats are about to become comfy gaming seats lol.

Mr. Clean
12-28-2007, 07:54 PM
:goodjob: those seats are about to become comfy gaming seats lol.

haha... very nice.

BUGMAN
12-28-2007, 11:52 PM
^^^ sorry buddy , i havent seen a car that will not run without the cables connected. not sayin there isnt cars out there that wont , but from my experience all cars will still run .

EDIT: this was to BUGMAN.

On today's cars it may create a electrical spike and cause damage to the many on board computer systems. I have seen several run for a few seconds before cutting off and some that would keep on running even some of the newer vehicles. I would never suggest trying that, use a volt meter.

Glad you got it figured out!

preferredduck
12-29-2007, 10:37 AM
make sure you remember where the screw was originally. that can be a pain in the butt to get back to where it was i know from experience. did you ever get the cel checked?

Mr. Clean
12-29-2007, 12:17 PM
did you ever get the cel checked?

today at 4... im actually excited haha how sad is that

mushroom_toy
12-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Booooo. jk hope it will be running better got ya soon. I bet you those cels are for some of the many plugs that are hangin around in the bay lol.

JDMjoe
12-29-2007, 08:51 PM
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8720000/8729908.jpg

Mr. Clean
12-29-2007, 08:55 PM
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8720000/8729908.jpg

i just found my new avatar.

JDMjoe
12-29-2007, 09:06 PM
i just found my new avatar.
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
Your welcome...

mushroom_toy
12-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Whores.

JDMjoe
12-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Whores.
Your mom...

j/k

mushroom_toy
12-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Damnit Im having trouble keeping up with all the postwhoring going on here lol.